Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How should it be set up? Obviously both parties need to be happy with the arrangement.

I would supply an 11 second Malibu and trailer. He would use his truck. How do some of you deal with the expenses. Race gas, entry, motel, and breakage if it were to happen. Also to start, it does need slicks and belts. slicks are about $500.00

Thanks

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You have to be either real good friends or 2 very co-operative team work related individuals. If not you should probably lay everything out in some form of legal document as to the arrangement and exit strategy. How to split expenses, who pays what and who gets what at split-up time.

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,993 Posts
We've only done it on a temporary basis, but when we do, all the driver has to do is show up and race. I think they paid their gate entry, but we always paid for tech card, fuel, nitrous, everything. For out of state stuff, we would all ride together.

If this was a permanent thing, where someone was being privileged with driving a car without the expense of buying/building it, I'd say have HIM pay tech card, fuel, nitrous, etc.

I think it all depends on the situation. As long as both of you are happy with the arrangement, it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
My friend and I have an arrangement. When I drive his car, I pay the entry fee and keep the winnings (or in my case, the loss) and we split the expenses (gas, hotel, food, drinks, etc.) and take turns taking my truck or his. He pays for parts and maintains the car, I do the tune. If the worse happens, we split the damages incurred. BUT, we've been friends for over 35 years and it isn't for everyone. In our case, it works good because he wants to own a car, just doesn't like to drive.:smt102

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,993 Posts
See, I think if there are winnings, it should be split. The owner is the one who put all that money into the car - he should get at least part of the winnings back. JMO :)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
See, I think if there are winnings, it should be split. The owner is the one who put all that money into the car - he should get at least part of the winnings back. JMO :)
yep. if he invests 60k and you pay $50 entry why should you keep $1000

·
LEADING THE FREAK PARADE!
2,446 Posts
I just got out of this very situation.

When me and the other guy were racing MY car it was - If he wanted to go racing it was his truck his fuel his entry fee and if there were any damages it was his pockets that fixed it and in a timely manner.

Now The guy I got involved with in this deal gave me money up front and was like renting my car from me.

·
LEADING THE FREAK PARADE!
2,446 Posts
And if there were any winnings it was split 60 / 40 with 60 going to me. After all I spent all the money up front to build the car.

·
Registered
16,490 Posts
I let a buddy drive mine when I forgot to re-new my licence once. I paid for everything and did all the work between rounds, and just dropped it off at his spot. He'd jump in, make a pass and drop it back off after the run.(I took home the prize)
You gotta trust the person and have some realization that if it breaks on him, it probably would have broke on me as well. I told him not to worry about anything, just drive. All went well. I was still responsible for the tune up/set up or if anything failed. I did keep a safe tune on it and set the shift light a couple hundred rpm lower though.

·
Registered
555 Posts
A friend of mine lets his long time friend drive his car in the Corvette challenge at E-Town. As far as I know my friend is paying for everything. He now has a problem getting back into his own car :rolleyes:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Keep them coming. What is behind the question is the car just sits in my shop, race ready. I hate seeing it sit. I have a car. This one was supposed be raced by my brother but his plans changed.

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
Get it all in writing and signed before you head to the track.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Most likely if you are friends you wont be friends for much longer unless you treat it like a business with clear cut guidelines of what either of you are to get out of it and put into it. Doesnt have to be signed and notarized but if something happens, blown up engine or a crash or win, its best to know what to expect from both people up front.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts