Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49,832 Posts
I see no tangiable or provable benifit. If they improved combustion I am sure that the big 3 would be all over this easily implemented technology. These Ideas are not new.

It does sevral things I dislike.

1. it increase the number of cumbustion fronts. This will result in an increased sensitivity to detonation.

2. it allows for more fla area. This is what we do not want. We want the flame area as concentrated as possiable.

If you look at current OE wedge and 4v and 3v layouts you will see they have almost all switched to very smooth and minimally contoured pistons with reduced surface topography. The best advances in piston and chamber design have come down to minimal combustion space with the minimal amount of surface iregulatirty in the topography of the pistons and chamber. The closer we get to smooth and flat the better.

I think this is one of those things that like many other things get us to a zero net gain and offer the addition of more hotspotting which always makes the engine more detonation prone.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
In the 80s NASCAR teams played with all manner of chamber mods, including grooves and dimples. Darin said it best in a ST thread that he'd never seen that type of approach work in a properly designed chamber.
Duke

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the 80s NASCAR teams played with all manner of chamber mods, including grooves and dimples. Darin said it best in a ST thread that he'd never seen that type of approach work in a properly designed chamber.
Duke
See, that's just it. Today's small, efficient chambers don't really need any help, but I was thinking maybe big, old, inefficient chambers might benefit from some swirl-inducing modification(s). Particularly something lazy like a big, open-chamber BBC head, which require pistons with huge domes.

·
Registered
866 Posts
-

IF i remember correctly, the BBC that won engine masters a few years back had some interesting grooves in the quench area of the piston.

I have tried to find the teardown article but have not had any luck doing so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.