Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the exhaust port of an 820 bbc head ( comparable to 049 ,781) ..just wondered what ya guys think and would like some constructive criticism.I am not 100% done yet as you can see their are some obvious things i still need to clean up but just wondered what ya thought..Please be gentle lol , this is only the second head i have ever tried porting

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is another pic..i still need to blend the top of vane a little more evenly...also on the left is the nub from the head bolts..i have taken it down a decent amount but a little afraid to go any further

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why so sharp on the vane?
i have seen some aftermarket heads doing that so i figured i would give it a shot..there is enough metal there to basically knock it down completely up to the guide..would you recommend that or would that be removing too much metal...this is exactly why i posted the pics--so people could tell me what i did wrong lol

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
You need to post this over in the N/A section,,, that is where Chad , Curtis ,Rich and some of the other top porters in the county hang out, dont worry they are not too brutal ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If there is enough material, go all the way up. You also need to widen the short turn on the exhaust. Don't cut away the short turn, just widen it.
good eyes! that is one part of the head where i have only cleaned up...like i said i am not done yet...tomorrow i will try and finish up the port a little better then post some more pics...i will definitely cut down the vane as far as i can.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Be very careful on how thin you make that fin on the front of that guide boss. You are getting close to water now. The guides are stepped and run right directly thru the water jacket, so watch it in the middle of that vein, too much and its a sprinkler system. But looks like you have done a good job so far.

Rich

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Be very careful on how thin you make that fin on the front of that guide boss. You are getting close to water now. The guides are stepped and run right directly thru the water jacket, so watch it in the middle of that vein, too much and its a sprinkler system. But looks like you have done a good job so far.

Rich
thanks , would it even be worth messing with the guide anymore >? other than making it a little more symetrical . as far as the top of the vane that is the original height of the guide.i just worked the sides down to where it created a sharp vane in the middle

·
Registered
18 Posts
there is no need to make the guide boss that thin. doesnt do anything for you besides give you a chance of water leaking just trim around the guide boss thin it up slightly and you will be good to go then just widen the short turn. iam a cylinder head porter i do this for a living just so you know.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there is no need to make the guide boss that thin. doesnt do anything for you besides give you a chance of water leaking just trim around the guide boss thin it up slightly and you will be good to go then just widen the short turn. iam a cylinder head porter i do this for a living just so you know.

thanks for the heads up , i have more pics up in the natural aspirated section where i widened the short turn and blended the bowls a little better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts