Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2004 lq9 from a silverado ss truck, my question is will the stock truck oil pan work in my 69 chevelle? next thing is how do you think it would run with a super vic and headers and a cam? any ideas on the cam choice would really help me. i'm new to the ls engine world and could really use some help. thanks.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Are you going efi with the vic jr?

I do not think the factory truck pan will work with out some modifications. The LH8 pan from GM works very very nice. I can get you some information on it and a guy that sell it all as a "kit", if you would like.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have a LQ4 and the truck pan seems to sit pretty low in my C10. I think the motor mounts/adapters can change it a little bit. I went from the thinner carshopinc mounts to a set of thick S&W adapters and it raised the engine up a good bit. It allowed better header to frame/control arm clearance. I would've stuck with the carshopinc adapters, but they didn't offer the 1" setback adapters at the time.
There's a few members on LS1tech that have LS motors in their chevelles, maybe you could go over there and ask around in the conversion/hybrid section. I think remember them saying the H2 pan worked better like novaflash2002 said.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have a LQ4 and the truck pan seems to sit pretty low in my C10. I think the motor mounts/adapters can change it a little bit. I went from the thinner carshopinc mounts to a set of thick S&W adapters and it raised the engine up a good bit. It allowed better header to frame/control arm clearance. I would've stuck with the carshopinc adapters, but they didn't offer the 1" setback adapters at the time.
There's a few members on LS1tech that have LS motors in their chevelles, maybe you could go over there and ask around in the conversion/hybrid section. I think remember them saying the H2 pan worked better like novaflash2002 said.
Pics of your truck please? I just swapped the 5.3 out of my c10 for an lq9.

I used the SW mounts, and my pan may be 3/4" lower than the front cross member.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Pics of your truck please? I just swapped the 5.3 out of my c10 for an lq9.

I used the SW mounts, and my pan may be 3/4" lower than the front cross member.
I'll snap some pics at lunch tomorrow. Mine still hangs low like that, but it was worse with the carshopinc adapters. I think the stock rubber mounts settled some because I don't remember it being this low a couple years ago.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'll snap some pics at lunch tomorrow. Mine still hangs low like that, but it was worse with the carshopinc adapters. I think the stock rubber mounts settled some because I don't remember it being this low a couple years ago.
I hear you on the mounts. I went with poly engine mounts with my swap. below are a few pictures of my truck, both are old. I am waiting on lowering it a few more inches with the new toyo tires.

HIJACK OFF

·
Registered
858 Posts
You do NOT want to use a stock truck oil pan in a car. It is possible to cut a few inches out of the oil pan's sump and re-weld it, but you loose some volume in the process. You may be able to use an f-body oil pan with a little notching, or the H2 pan. Aftermarket there is the Champion, RetroLSX, Moroso... I chose the Moroso for the extra capacity, but I'll have to run a remote oil filter with it.
I wish you would re-think using the carb. In my opinion the best part of an LS conversion is the relatively cheap option for fuel injection using OEM parts. Here's a couple shots of my '69 Nova getting its low compression 408:

Planning some kind of stock manifold twin turbo build - not necessarily the flipped truck manifolds though...

The wiring harness can be intimidating, but do some research and then just tackle one circuit at a time...

Good luck with you project.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hell yeah, that is going to be sweet. Good luck with the turbo stuff. I want to turbo my truck bad, just something to make a reliable 600whp.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input. I have the full truck harness but dont know where to begin with it. The carb is so much easier. My engine has remote oil cooler lines that come out above the oil filter, can i just plug them, or do they need to stay active for the oiling system? Do all the Moroso pans require you to run remote oil filters? Is there any reason that everyone is avoiding the cam choice question? I would like a cam that will make good power but yet be driveable. Im sorry if i sound like a rookie but i never messed with these engines before and i think they are a little intimidating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts