Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have noticed all the bad news the last 3 years regarding the falling sales of the domestic auto industry, you might be interested in the following questions, possible answers are listed alphabetically.
The correct answers, along with source, are given below.

1. Which country can boast that their brands occupy 2 of the top 3 spots for long-term reliability?
a. Germany
b. Japan
c. Korea
d. United States

2. As of August 2007, which manufacturer had the most recalled vehicles in the U.S. for that year?
a. Chrysler
b. Ford
c. GM
d. Nissan
e. Toyota
f. Volkswagen

3. Pick the brand from each group that has the highest initial quality.
a. Acura, BMW, Cadillac (all luxury makes)
b. Honda, Mercury, Nissan (all non-luxury makes)
c. Acura (lux), Chevrolet (non-lux), BMW (lux), Mazda (non-lux)

4. Which midsize sedan has the highest initial quality?
a. Accord (Honda)
b. Altima (Nissan)
c. Camry (Toyota)
d. Malibu (Chevrolet)

5. Which large sedan has the highest initial quality?
a. Avalon (Toyota)
b. Grand Prix (Pontiac)
c. Sable (Mercury)

6. Which midsize pickup has the highest initial quality?
a. Dakota (Dodge)
b. Ranger (Ford)
c. Tacoma (Toyota)

7. Which car is the most economical overall?
a. Aveo (Chevrolet)
b. Fit (Honda)
c. Prius (Toyota)

8. Which car did the LA Times describe as "a better car than BMW or Mercedes or Lexus or Infiniti"?
a. A6 (Audi)
b. CTS (Cadillac)
c. RL (Acura)

9. Which company makes the winner of the 2008 "Green Car of the Year" award?
a. Chevrolet
b. Honda
c. Toyota

10. Which car was selected by the North American automotive press corps as the "North American Car of the Year" for 2007?
a. Aura (Saturn)
b. Camry (Toyota)
c. Fit (Honda)

11. Which car won the same award for 2008?
a. Accord (Honda)
b. Altima coupe (Nissan)
c. Malibu (Chevrolet)

12. Which company had a luxury vehicle, a midsize sedan, and a large truck removed from the Consumer Reports recommended vehicles list in October 2007 because of mounting quality problems?
a. Chrysler
b. Ford
c. General Motors
d. Hyundai
e. Toyota
f. Volkswagen

ANSWERS:
1. Which country can boast that their brands occupy 2 of the top 3 spots for long-term reliability?

Answer: United States.
Per J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study, Mercury and Cadillac are in the top 3, along with Lexus. And in 2007, Buick was tied with Lexus for the top spot.
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2008115

2. As of August 2007, which manufacturer had the most recalled vehicles in the U.S. for that year?

Answer: Volkswagen.
According to Business Week, Volkswagen had the most recalls at this time a year ago. The second worst was Toyota.
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/aug2007/bw20070810_455098.htm

3. Pick the brand from each group that has the highest initial quality.
a. Answer : Cadillac (better than both Acura and BMW)
b. Answer: Mercury (better than both Honda and Nissan)
c. Answer: Chevrolet (better than Acura, BMW, and Mazda)

This is according to J.D. Power’s Initial Quality Survey.
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?2008063

4. Which midsize sedan has the highest initial quality?

Answer: The Chevrolet Malibu has better initial quality than any competitor, including the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry and Nissan Altima. The Ford Fusion also beat all 3 Japanese competitors.
This too is from the J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey, which also reveals that above average are American brands Mercury, Ford, Cadillac, Chevrolet , Pontiac, Lincoln, and Buick. Below average are import brands Acura, Kia, Nissan, BMW, Mazda, VW, Subaru, and Scion (and several others).
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/2008-Initial-Quality:-Midsize-and-Large-Cars
http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2008063

5. Which large sedan has the highest initial quality?

Answer: Again per J.D. Power, the highest quality large car is the Pontiac Grand Prix, beating the Toyota Avalon. Two other Detroit cars that beat the Avalon are the Mercury Sable and Mercury Grand Marquis.
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/2008-Initial-Quality:-Midsize-and-Large-Cars

6. Which midsize pickup has the highest initial quality?

Answer: The Dodge Dakota has the best quality for midsize pickups, proving that Chrysler too can beat the imports. Both the Dakota and the Ford Ranger beat the Toyota Tacoma.
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/articles/2008-Initial-Quality:-Pickups-and-Vans

7. Which car is the most economical overall?

Answer: Per Edmunds.com, the premier automotive analysis site, the most economical car in America, taking into account not only mileage but all costs, is the Chevrolet Aveo. The Honda Fit is #3 and the Toyota Prius is a distant #34.
http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/press/127806/article.html

8. Which car did the Los Angeles Times describe as "a better car than BMW or Mercedes or Lexus or Infiniti"?

Answer: "Cadillac makes a better car than BMW or Mercedes or Lexus or Infiniti, and that car is the 2008 CTS. No other car in the mass market dares so much as this expressive and audacious bit of automotive avant-gardism." Dan Neil, LA Times.
http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil12dec12-pg,0,5427133.photogallery

9. Which company makes the winner of the 2008 "Green Car of the Year" award?

Answer: The Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid is the winner of this award. How could a full-size SUV defeat the media darling Toyota Prius? Read the link below and you will discover, "What’s equally eye-opening is that the Tahoe’s 21 mpg city fuel efficiency rating is the same as that of the city EPA rating for the four-cylinder Toyota Camry sedan. "

Did you catch that? A huge, full-size SUV from Chevrolet that gets the same city mileage as a 4-cylinder Toyota Camry!! Chevy obtained this remarkable achievement through the use of its 2-mode hybrid system, a technology that Toyota does not have.
http://www.greencar.com/features/2008greencar/

10. Which car was selected by the North American automotive press corps as the "North American Car of the Year" for 2007?

Answer: Not only was the Saturn Aura picked by the automotive press corps as better than the Honda Fit and the Toyota Camry, "When a panel of 47 journalists named the Saturn Aura the North American Car of the Year over the Toyota Camry, the vote wasn't even close, 205-89." Chicago Tribune, 1/15/07
http://www.northamericancaroftheyear.org/news.html

11. Which car won the same award for 2008?

Answer: GM again crushed the Japanese competition in 2008 when the Malibu received 190 votes to the Honda Accord’s 95. The Accord actually came in 3rd since GM’s other finalist, the Cadillac CTS, received 165 votes.
http://www.northamericancaroftheyear.org/news.html

12. Which company had a luxury vehicle, a midsize sedan, and a large truck removed from the Consumer Reports recommended vehicles list in October 2007 because of mounting quality problems?

Answer: Toyota’s much publicized quality problems resulted in Consumer Reports actually removing from their recommended vehicles list the Lexus GS luxury car, Camry V6 sedan, and Tundra pickup. This demotion occurred in October 2007.

This Q&A list was put together by an employee of an American car company who just might lose his job because of public perceptions that do not match reality. If you are one of the many Americans who gave up on Detroit’s cars because of a bad experience many years ago, it’s time to rethink your position. Rethink Detroit.

Detroit automakers: 79 U.S. jobs per 2,500 cars sold in America.
Foreign automakers: 33 U.S. jobs per 2,500 cars sold in America.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I wish Americans would wake up and see the light. US auto makers have made hugh improvements but many Americans continue to buy foreign owned cars. Built in America doesn't mean they are keeping the profits here and improving our economic situation. RM

·
Bring on the Metal!!
9,483 Posts
I wish Americans would wake up and see the light. US auto makers have made hugh improvements but many Americans continue to buy foreign owned cars. Built in America doesn't mean they are keeping the profits here and improving our economic situation. RM
Thank You!! Try explaining that to ignorant people who own import cars. I have only and will only buy American made autos.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

Now if they can figure out how to reduce this number, they'll be set!

I own 3 Amercan made trucks and one American made car right now...will never buy a foriegn car even if I have to take the bus.

04 F150 bought new
05 F150 bought new
78 K10 one owner + me
75 Camaro 2 owner + me

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Chris Uratchko [/SIZE said:
[/FONT][/B]

I wonder if the 79 jobs per 2500 cars is because the us car makers produce more parts here ?
anybody have any info on why there is such a big diffrance? please information not opinoin

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
Before blowing the horn of victory guys, take 20 seconds and look at the survey itself.

"American made". That mean NORTH AMERICA. Canada, United States and MEXICO.

Trust me. Nothing galls my ass more than seeing these foriegn name plates running down the road. NOTHING.

But when you see a HUGE ASS Mazda plant in Indiana, you have to wonder about about how many jobs that nameplate provides. And who sponsored JD Powers survey. We all know how they can slant survey questions to come up with the answer they want.

Someone mentioned profits leaving the US to foreign name plates. Here's a newsflash.
Just how much Chrysler stock was domestically owned when Daimler owned them?

All of our Big Three is publically held. Whether its Joe Jersey owning 3,000 shares or Mao Tse Tung having 3,000 shares in his portfolio, it doesnt matter. I would be willing to bet that 95% of the 401K, mutual funds or any stock oriented retirement plans has big money invested in Domestically produced, foriegn owned vehicles. So in essence, they are domestically owned, as much as foriegn. And Our Big Three are as much foriegn owned as Domestically owned.

Look, all I am saying is the Auto industry is now 100% Globally owned and operated , so it doesnt make a rats ass who's name is on it. Beit Chevy, Mazda,Ford, Toyota, etc. Its all about who has operations here, and the percentage of U.S. goods, and labor is what counts.
And those peckerheads WILL NOT divulge how much is US, Canada and Mexico. Just North American. So you know what is being made where. Watch "American Made" or "Made in America" as well. Venezuella is American. So it Brazil. South America. Dont let egos get in the way of facts.

Think about it. They used DETROIT as if it was the only city in the Country that produces cars. There are many more. But isnt it pathetic , that ONLY 79 people worked on 2500 cars?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Interestingly enough, most of the American OEM's poo-poo JD Powers IQS results and some of the time with good reason, especially when different models from the same manufacturer are compared to each other.

The deeper story is told when results from first time buyers for a particuar brand or model are filtered out from brand loyalist results and analyzed.

A good real life example of this is my girlfriend's Pontiac G6. She loves it because her family members are/were long-time GM employees but the actual car sitting in her driveway has some of the worst build quality blunders in it that I've seen in years.

- Door margins that are all over the place
- Excess body sealer on A-surface areas
- Weather seals that are improperly installed
- Rear view mirror wire hider that's only half installed
- Windshield blackout nicks that allow sunlight bleed through

Aside from build quality issues on domestics, they do extremely well with durability, suprise & delight elements, design for service & manufacturing, and styling. Without a doubt domestic engineering is better for this market because domestic companies understand this market and what it demands.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Before blowing the horn of victory guys, take 20 seconds and look at the survey itself.

"American made". That mean NORTH AMERICA. Canada, United States and MEXICO.

Trust me. Nothing galls my ass more than seeing these foriegn name plates running down the road. NOTHING.

But when you see a HUGE ASS Mazda plant in Indiana, you have to wonder about about how many jobs that nameplate provides. And who sponsored JD Powers survey. We all know how they can slant survey questions to come up with the answer they want.

Someone mentioned profits leaving the US to foreign name plates. Here's a newsflash.
Just how much Chrysler stock was domestically owned when Daimler owned them?

All of our Big Three is publically held. Whether its Joe Jersey owning 3,000 shares or Mao Tse Tung having 3,000 shares in his portfolio, it doesnt matter. I would be willing to bet that 95% of the 401K, mutual funds or any stock oriented retirement plans has big money invested in Domestically produced, foriegn owned vehicles. So in essence, they are domestically owned, as much as foriegn. And Our Big Three are as much foriegn owned as Domestically owned.

Look, all I am saying is the Auto industry is now 100% Globally owned and operated , so it doesnt make a rats ass who's name is on it. Beit Chevy, Mazda,Ford, Toyota, etc. Its all about who has operations here, and the percentage of U.S. goods, and labor is what counts.
And those peckerheads WILL NOT divulge how much is US, Canada and Mexico. Just North American. So you know what is being made where. Watch "American Made" or "Made in America" as well. Venezuella is American. So it Brazil. South America. Dont let egos get in the way of facts.

Think about it. They used DETROIT as if it was the only city in the Country that produces cars. There are many more. But isnt it pathetic , that ONLY 79 people worked on 2500 cars?
Where is the Mazda plant in Indianna? I work for them and the only manufacturing plant we have in the US is a joint venture with Ford in Flat Rock, MI that is called Auto Alliance International (Mustang is produced there too). Beyond that, we have a remanufacturing facility in Virginia and R&D/Corporate facilities in Irvine, California.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Where is the Mazda plant in Indianna? I work for them and the only manufacturing plant we have in the US is a joint venture with Ford in Flat Rock, MI that is called Auto Alliance International (Mustang is produced there too). Beyond that, we have a remanufacturing facility in Virginia and R&D/Corporate facilities in Irvine, California.
He probably meant Subaru/Isuzu. It's in Lafayette, IN.

Also, Honda is building a massive factory in southeastern Indiana. Toyota already makes pick-up trucks in southern Indiana.

Meanwhile Anderson, IN - a former GM town - is practically a ghost town.

And you can buy a share of Toyota, Honda, or Subaru just as easily as you can buy a share of Ford or GM. Chrysler is private at the moment, so you can't even buy a share of them, and they're mostly made in Canada anyway.

Before I get slammed:

I own a 2008 Chevy Avalanche, a 2008 Chevy Corvette, and a 68 Camaro drag car. Traded in my 2007 Chevy Avalanche and 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT-8.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
What exactly do you hope to accomplish Chris? You're preaching mostly to a choir of GM and Ford employees. They will already blindly buy whatever the domestic manufacturers produce because their father and grandfather did so. I think most people are aware that GM, Ford, and Chrysler have COME A LONG WAY from the days of building mostly junk in the mid 70's to the mid 80's.

No doubt there but PERCEPTION is the problem. Yes, they do have some nice cars. The Malibu is one of them but they spent most of their money on trucks and SUV's for the last decade and a half and it's kicking them in the ass now. They may be in a hole that they can't get out of because of their lack of foresight. Perhaps they should give away a truck with each Malibu. Might clear out that 6-months worth of gas hawgs that are losing value like a rock and convince some folks that don't work for GM that Malibu's are nice cars. Might buy one myself.

Let's not even discuss the Tahoe getting 22mpg. A dumb non-parking blond jumping curbs all by herself in a 6000lb truck EVEN GETTING 22MPG is still stupid.

Enough ranting for the day. Love you guys!

·
Super Moderator
34,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What exactly do you hope to accomplish Chris? !

What am I hoping to accomplish? What are we restricted on what we can discuss here or something?

Let's not even discuss the Tahoe getting 22mpg. A dumb non-parking blond jumping curbs all by herself in a 6000lb truck EVEN GETTING 22MPG is still stupid.
Frankly, that's not your business, nor my business. I thought we lived in a free nation.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Frankly, that's not your business, nor my business. I thought we lived in a free nation.
To be fair, couldn't that be said about other people's decisions on what cars to buy?

(Again - see my post above for my personal stable of cars. Just playing devil's advocate)

·
Registered
7,854 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not the one suggesting that there is some form of mandate, on what people can and cannot buy.

Competition is good for our products....

My post was to show that the perception is a bit skewed out there.....

Has nothing to do with labeling an SUV as something a woman can't drive..... or any other type of vehicle for that matter.

It's a slippery slope, and a definite blatant mentality that is pushed by the liberals out there, that some know better of what people should and should not be driving, eating, etc..... another whole subject. Has nothing to do with this post.

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
He probably meant Subaru/Isuzu. It's in Lafayette, IN.

Also, Honda is building a massive factory in southeastern Indiana. Toyota already makes pick-up trucks in southern Indiana.

Meanwhile Anderson, IN - a former GM town - is practically a ghost town.

And you can buy a share of Toyota, Honda, or Subaru just as easily as you can buy a share of Ford or GM. Chrysler is private at the moment, so you can't even buy a share of them, and they're mostly made in Canada anyway.

Before I get slammed:

I own a 2008 Chevy Avalanche, a 2008 Chevy Corvette, and a 68 Camaro drag car. Traded in my 2007 Chevy Avalanche and 2005 Chrysler 300C SRT-8.

Yep, It had to be Scoobydu. It definately was Lafayette. I drove my daughter to Purdue in West Lafayette (12 hours) dropped her at her dorm, and headed back.

My garages are currently filled with:

08 Silverado
07 3500 Diesel Dually/Allison
(2) 05 Cavaliers for my kids
82 Iroc 11.5 car (hot weather, no safety crap to wear)
81 Monte 25.4 cert. 8.70 car for cooler weather
71 Nova
65 Chevelle
39 2dr sedan - chopped (in progress)

For what its worth..
Mazda Motor Manufacturing commenced production in 1987 with the launch of the Mazda MX-6. By 1992 Mazda and Ford agreed to establish a manufacturing joint venture at the plant, which was renamed AutoAlliance International, Inc. (AAI). In addition to the MX-6, over the years AAI produced the Mazda 626, Ford Probe and the Mercury Cougar.

Beginning October 17, 2002, the new MAZDA6 sedan, with its cutting-edge design and superior road handling, joined the list of high-quality AAI products. The plant will also assemble two additional MAZDA6 body styles – a five-door and a sport wagon. Other U.S.-assembled Mazda vehicles include the Tribute sport utility vehicle and Mazda Truck, which are assembled at Ford plants in Kansas City, MO and Edison, NJ. Combined, the three U.S.-assembled models accounted for about 45 percent of Mazda’s U.S. sales in 2001

1 - 20 of 66 Posts