Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time out recently, new motor/converter, new mono's/caltracs susp.> 90/10's, 9-ways rear.
big street/strip wedge motor, 700hp/[email protected]@line, 4200stall, 727 RMVB, low 1st gear, SLR 11+
Dana 4.10, 10x29 Hoosier bias, 16psi. Bottom hole, 1 flat preload both sides...barely 5" travel
rears on 5 ext. Initial hook, front up too fast, tops out unloads rears, fr.bump stops already removed.
maybe rears are bottoming out as well when stall used as car comes up some 2". I've been through 35 pages of the Caltrac post and some good info
there but some contrasting info also on which is a harder hit with preload/without, every car is different. Basically we need to overcome the limited rise/speed factor and stop the tyres from unloading as the front hits and keep tyres planted, no new parts will be fitted this year now so we have to work with what we have. Would appreciate some advice on what we can do with shock caltrac settings to help....here's a vid of best run [email protected], 1.50 60ft.
the 2 other runs we did were [email protected] 1.51 60, [email protected] 1.50 60.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I do suck, thanks:confused:.... first time doin it, was only interested in the hit, I can listen to the rest and get it without seeing it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
car is way too tight in the front. It didn't even try to lift the front end. 16 lbs in the tires is probably too much. What width wheels on the back. That was awful. How old are the tires seemed to take a long time to get smoke off of them and not much. was the track prepped?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Track prep was good, some low 7 sec runs were made by a doorslammer.....16lbs was cos we span the tyres on rims, did the same with 14lbs not bolted on wheels yet., 8's on rear, slicks brand new first time out, smoke takes long cos the drivers routine in doing a burnout, 2nd gear only, and a bit nervous?, told him to go on it from 2nd and shift 3rd and let it settle at ?rpm in future....Go easy here chaps, were talking of a guy who's only ever gone 12.5's with a mild 440 before, its a learning curve with near twice the torque in new motor, he'll get there with a little gentle push from me. So with the front the way it is I need some suggestions on how to better set up the rear to help things from how it was previous outing> Caltracs bottom hole, 1 turn preload both sides and set on 5 on 9-ways. 1 suggestion has been to up the slicks till they spin to stop wadding and come back till it hooks, full tight on extension, were gonna take a run at the converter from just above idle and take the preload out of bars so a small gap.????.........and way too tight in the front?......I think its way too loose and fast personally and needs slowing.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Watch your video again. The front is not coming up like it should. Watch some stock elimator cars that are similar. They will have the wheels high in the air. Your car is not trying at all to lift the front. Get some extension on the front and it will help the back get some traction. It didn’t even try to hook. With the Hp you claim the engine has you will need max weight transfer to hook with the tire you have on it. 10 or 12 inch wheels would help spread the tire out more. All the stock elimator cars run a 9 inch tire on at least a 10 inch wheel. Need a high gear burn out too.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Can you hit from idle? When you push or stall like your doing your losing 1-3" of travel of rear shocks. That will change the reaction of the converter as well.
Tommy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Tommy, as I said previous... were gonna take a run at the converter from just above idle and take the preload out of bars so a small gap. were deff losing rear shock and front travel as well...hope it works:)

·
Registered
363 Posts
The CalTrack instructions are pretty clear about having an air-gap (thickness of a dime) on at least the drivers side and at the most zero air-gap passenger side (but no pre-load) and driver weight MUST be in the car on a flat surface. You should start here and only ad pre-load if necessary. I personally would rather have (one) shock adjusted differently to get the car launching right or you can get a car to launch straighter with an increase in slick air pressure (which will increase the roll-out in 1/2# increments).
Some are very successful with pre-loading the bars and swear by it but remember you are putting a bind in the suspension every time you crank up the pre-load.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would go along with your comments, so latest from the weekend is some progress. were down to 1.43 60's, with a breakout run of 10.44 (PB) from the previous WOT [email protected] mph/10.47. 16psi in tyres, back to 6 on ext, helped a lot, and ran it on no gap, ran ok and better to me but driver wanted 2 flats preload today as swears by it, I don't, so that was the last setting. So small overall improvement, its now not turning the tyre, calmed the violent front down some and there's more in it, however driver is not consistent in launch rpm so its making it a nightmare to tune it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Getting better, not killing tyre so much, 16psi, preload and shocks on 7, 1.43-1.43-1.43 60's....10.45-10.45-10.49..>..Red lit 1st round, -0.012, 10.45 on a 10.44 dial:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts