Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a few engines with hydraulic rollers but never owned one myself. Friend has a pontiac bracket car, lifters will bleed down or collapse completely. He is interested in running solids on it. I feel it will be fine, set at 0.005" lash cold. Is there any reason to change the valve springs to something stiffer? Car is geared to cross the stripe at about 6,000 to 6,100. Runs great when the lifters hold up. Not looking for more performance, just more reliability.:confused:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No extra RPM. Car is geared and runs what is expected. Thanks, I will pass on this info. I think that solids will be installed shortly.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I thought the only way to run solids lifters on a hyd camshaft was if the cam was made from a billet material? I am in same boat currently and when I called Bullet who ground the cam they recommended I jump up in spring pressure when I made the switch and run .008 to .01 on lash

·
The Phantom Machinist
1,916 Posts
I haven’t run a hyd roller lifter on a hyd roller cam in years. I have used solid rollers on billet and cast hyd roller cores with zero issues, they work excellent. I lash the aluminum heads at near zero and iron heads at .003”, cold on both. You can bump the spring pressure up a bit as well.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After multiple searches and calls, we are sticking with hydraulics. Looking at Johnsons. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the race and short travel lifters? Seems to me that the race would already be short travel. Tried to email them, but got a reply saying their server is down.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is common on big block fords, Hydraulics dont work well. valve springs match the cam and dont change because of lifters so no need for a different material cam core

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When contacting comp about this, they were less than enthusiastic about putting a solid on this grind. Ended up ordering Johnson’s. Just waiting for them to show up.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
How can I watch the complete video? I went to YouTube and they are all only 4 minutes max. What do I need to do to watch the complete episodes

A Subscription to Motor trend is only $4.99 a month and they have a ton of stuff to watch. Just Engine Masters for example there are 48 episodes.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just to follow up on this. Will never know if Johnsons would have solved the lifter problem because they never showed up. Gave up and bought solids. Even though the comp tech was not happy about the prospect. Sometimes a problem needs fixing and one does not want to wait all summer for the parts. Time will tell if this was the right call. Are Johnsons in such demand right now that they can't keep up? If so, I think that says something.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Some of the Pontiac hyd roller lifters offered do not have the oil band in the correct location. The new comps are correct, however, there is an engine builder on PY ( Paul Carter) who grinds a very shallow slot in the lifter bore down from the oil supply hole.

This prevents any brand of hyd rollers from collapsing or clacking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts