Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 355 chevy with brodix aluminum heads and complete comp cams solid roller valve train. i am using 1.5 pro magnum full roller rockers set at .026 lash as recommended by COMP. the cam is 252/[email protected] .624/.650 lift. I havet raced the car yet with this cam in it but i do drive it to cruise nights, etc. I find myself adjusting these rockers CONSTANTLY after approx 2 hrs street driving time. I have a comp cams stud girdle and rev kit installed also. is this normal or not?? thanks guys

joe

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
Are you setting them hot or cold ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you still using the allen head lock down in the center of the polylocks?? Some guys will take these off when they are using a girdle and they will constantly have to adjust lash.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am still using the lock nuts, i tighten the girdle down with a 9/16 wrench, i dont crank on the bolts but they are definitely snugged down

·
Registered
296 Posts
is the cam wearing, ive had that happen on my chevelle motor years ago. a quick check is to make sure the allen headed locknut is down in the polylock the same amount on all int. and all ex. respectively. or set them all and then check them with a dial indicator on a magnetic base. if there ALL getting loose then thats probably not your issue. mine wore before they had all the pressure fed lifters that they make now.

joel

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this cam is only a year old with aabout 500 miles on it, it better not be wore out that fast already or ill be mad. i notice that my number 5 rockers are always the loosest though. if i set the lash and drive for 2 hrs ill notice some are opened up to almost .050 lash!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Maybe use a dial indicator and measure the cam lift at the rocker to be sure it's not going away. If it is all good then you most not be getting the locks tight or the pushrods, rockers and lifters are just wearing in and getting loser? RM

·
Eddie Haskell
7,850 Posts
I would take a good look at the valvetrain. I check lash to see if something is wearing. Lifter/cam. Start with the parts from #5 cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
9,251 Posts
Can this happen if the rocker studs are not fully bottomed out into the heads? Then they wiggle until they get loose or worse break.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Thats a lot of lash and an aggresive lobe to be running on the street. Idling can cause problems with street solid rollers, the lifter does not stay in contact with the lobe and the roller will stop and start causing fast wear to them and the camshaft. Rev kits are a good solution cause they keep the lifters in contact with the cam. Where does your car idle faster is better!! pressure fed lifters like the isky red zones help lots also but they aint cheap.. I'd check the cam like RM said and see where the slop is coming from.

Edit: just noticed the rev kit.....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the car idles at 900 rpm-1100 depending how cold it is. the car has a FAST XFI system on it. I had told comp cams what the usage of the car was 80/20 street/strip and that is the cam/lifters they recommended to me. I am really regretting going solid roller at this point.....

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
You've got some good parts here. Running the rev kit, the lifters should never come off the cam lobe unless the engine is being rev-tuned to death. And even then, its highly unlikely.

How good is your rocker arm geometry?

Are the push rods rubbing on the heads anywhere?

If running guide plates, did you check the rocker arm studs for proper torque BEFORE assembling the top end? The AFR 195's we just put on a 383 build states in the instructions that they are not torqued from the factory.

Are the roller lifters you have set up to feed pressurized oil to the axle and needle bearings of the roller?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
the car idles at 900 rpm-1100 depending how cold it is. the car has a FAST XFI system on it. I had told comp cams what the usage of the car was 80/20 street/strip and that is the cam/lifters they recommended to me. I am really regretting going solid roller at this point.....
What part number cam is that, just wondering how aggressive the lobes are. You have understand that the people you talk to on the phone up there are often not much more than salesman...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i dont have the part number here at work with me. it was a custom grind cam 4/7 swap, the pushrods arent rubbing anywhere, i haev the proper geometry, and no the lifters are not oil pressure fed (which irritates me the clown on the phone didnt tell me that).

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Are you checking your settings after the girdle is tightened?
Many times, when the girdle gets snugged, it changes everything.
Is the girdle getting hit by any of the rockers?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Really what you need to do is figure out what is wearing or moving. Yank the rockers off of # 5 (I think that's the one you had most trouble with) and inspect everything up top real well for wear and both ends of the pushrod. If it all looks okay (and even if it doesn't) check the cam lobe with a dial indicator on the top end of the pushrod (not on the rocker) and make shure the lobe is still okay.

Out of curiosity post the part number or lobe numbers up so we can see what lobes they recomended at Comp...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts