Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer who wants to turn 7k rpm with his small block Olds. It's a stick shift street cruiser that sees some miles so it needs to be durable. My concern is 7k with hydraulic lifters. I know running solid lifters on a hydraulic roller cam with very tight lash is becoming more popular but I have never tried it myself. Is it a good choice for this application?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Are you going to run stiffer springs? I ask because I have seen wear issues because of hardness differences between the roller and the lobe at 180/480 spring pressure. Just an observation.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Went through this last year with a Pontiac. Not enough miles yet to talk about longevity, but no more lifter problems.Set at .005" cold.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you going to run stiffer springs? I ask because I have seen wear issues because of hardness differences between the roller and the lobe at 180/480 spring pressure. Just an observation.
Was planning to run the same springs as I would with the hydraulic roller lifters.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a customer who wants to turn 7k rpm with his small block Olds. It's a stick shift street cruiser that sees some miles so it needs to be durable. My concern is 7k with hydraulic lifters. I know running solid lifters on a hydraulic roller cam with very tight lash is becoming more popular but I have never tried it myself. Is it a good choice for this application?
We build dozens of engines a year with mechanical rollers on hydraulic roller profiles, no issues. You did not provide a lot of info on your combo but in general terms, a beehive with 380-400 open would likely get you there with ease provided your valve weight is not ridiculously high.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have this setup in my BBC. Cam is rather sharp with not much duration. I have had great luck with this setting lash at .010 and .012. My car sees a decent amount of street cruising, and was seeing track time nearly every 2 weeks until mid last year due to me beginning to run my dragster.

Originally I was set up with a "hyd roller" spring with lower spring pressures, I then went to a higher pressure spring due to the original springs becoming weak prematurely. Car slowed .30 on average just from the spring change.

I keep a close eye on lash, and make sure I change my oil regularly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts