Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this may have been addressed before but I am building the hot side piping for my car not and i have 2 flex pipes tacked in place right now but after doing some reading, i think i will take them out. my question is, I have solid motor mounts and bracket welded to the frame to mount the turbo. Will I have many issues with not having any flex pipes on the hot side? It is a street car.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Im sure this may have been addressed before but I am building the hot side piping for my car not and i have 2 flex pipes tacked in place right now but after doing some reading, i think i will take them out. my question is, I have solid motor mounts and bracket welded to the frame to mount the turbo. Will I have many issues with not having any flex pipes on the hot side? It is a street car.
I have solid motor mounts, mid plate (no motor plate) and turbo mounted to the frame (solid hotside). No issues for me and no flex pipes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was running motor plates with a solid Hotside and the turbo mounted to the frame with no issues.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
No, not with everything mounted solid and the liberal use of a few V-bands and/or flex clamps like the ones Race Parts sells for a good deal. Just don't pipe it up super short, straight rigid to where there isn't a little direction for things to grow when they get hot. Try not to have headers that have a 18" primary and a 4" one welded together at a collector as it will just try to constantly rip its self apart and it will end up cracked all to shit from thermal stress. It should work out just fine keeping all this in mind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Thanks for the responses. I have cut the flex pipes out and will refit it all tommorow. I will tack it all up and weld as much as I can in the car. I will post up some pictures after I get it tacked.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I did make the trans crossmember solid mounts but the trabs mount is the only thing that has a poly mount. Will that make ajy difference?

·
Registered
676 Posts
There will be anough flex over the length of your pipes especially with heat to allow for the movement you will encounter providing you have the motor itself mounted solid, poly trans mount will be fine. If your concerned SPD make a VERY nice inconel flex bellows but its pricy.

6BOOST

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
X2^^^^ Never use a solid trans mount with a solidly mounted engine as it will break only the tailshaft housing if you are lucky.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,413 Posts
I have solid engine mounts, poly trans mount, no flex joints, and turbo is solid mounted to the frame. 1 full season of racing and the only crack I had was a shitty weld on a primary tube that I was expecting to crack. Since fixing the shitty weld I have not had any cracks.

Everything on my hotside from header flange to turbo flange is 304 stainless.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks. I hope all goes well. I am using regular aluminized pipe mig welded. it will be painted and wrapped so it wont have the wow factor of stainless thats tigged.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts