Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
T/S 368E
30,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Moved into smaller shop, and trailer has to sit out now :(
No power is available :( so can't keep plugged in like inside my old shop.
I have a 6 battery bank that I want to maintain.
These are the gel cell back up models for industrial power supplies.

I see a bunch of maintainers that don't require a fancy controller.
Will these cheap systems do anything or do I need an actual panel/controller system because of the number of batteries??

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Im just doing my camping trailer now. $1500. 6 panels, controller, inverter.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I use a cheap 16 dollar mppt controller cmtd - 2420 with a couple of hqst solar panels on my travel trailer. Whole thing cost me 216 dollars and works perfect so far. Been a couple of years with pretty heavy use. When I am not using the trailer I plug it in and let the inverter maintain the batteries.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Don't go the total cheap seat.

As with any game, you get what you pay for.

Hot weather can be hell on batteries left sitting. Over charging without a control can be worse than just leaving the battery sit and self-discharge.

Do the math, calculate the self-discharge rate of the bank and double check with an in-line meter to see if there is ANY small parasitic load on the system.

Knowing what you need then you can figure an array to match and a charge controller to prevent over-charging.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
I live on my solar system 4 to 6 mos every years. Cheapest shit I could find. It will run everything but microwave and AC. I even cook with an instapot. Internet says I need more but ???. I can watch up to 4 to 5 hours of TV a day, charge 2 phones and a lap top. The fridge and hot water are propane. One tank lasts 14 to 20 days. I haven't really needed any more.

One thing is that I am always in the sun.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I sell transportation solar setups and the crap in the RV world is just that, crap. A quality 40w panel and quality charge controller will run you about $450 plus the extension harness which will depend on how far you are from the battery compartment.

I sell Thermo King Thermolite panels.

·
Dicking bimbos at home
15,331 Posts
I live on my solar system 4 to 6 mos every years. Cheapest shit I could find.
One thing is that I am always in the sun.

Fuckin' illegal alien.:p

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,356 Posts
I sell transportation solar setups and the crap in the RV world is just that, crap. A quality 40w panel and quality charge controller will run you about $450 plus the extension harness which will depend on how far you are from the battery compartment.

I sell Thermo King Thermolite panels.
just like any market, there is top of the line stuff and the cheap stuff... there is always stuff for every budget these days. but if the cheap stuff works then its not all "crap"

i have 4 100w renogy panels on my truck camper, with 1 of there charge controllers. going into 2 105ah 12v each..........i wish i could have went lithium the battle born batteries are highly recommended but are like 1000.00 each, but alot better run time

·
T/S 368E
30,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

I'm not trying to charge the battery's, I just want to keep them from losing life when sitting all summer.
I bring them to the shop and run a trickle charger during the winter.
I have to run the generator at the track for the water bath & A/C, so I charge them at the same time.
I basically use them for lights when unhooked from truck, or after putting generator away and packing up after racing.

So I don't care what the cost is, I just need to properly keep them topped off.
I didn't think it would need multiple panels and a sophisticated controller,
but I also wanted to ask the experts 1st before buying the $89.99 maintainer I saw on ebay??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Powered-Panel-Battery-Charger-12V-Maintainer-Controller-Car-RV-Boat-Marine/143240064840?hash=item2159c5ef48:g:HlQAAOSwmmxW2eKi

·
T/S 368E
30,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

It is definitely amazing the sizes between the Sun, Jupiter & Earth, but how does that help anyone pick a solar power maintainer system :p

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
No matter how sophisticated the controller, put a diode in the line feeding the battery. Especially if you use a generator in your trailer that charges your battery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts