Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
It's an investment that pays back over time. You can currently get Government grants to offset initial costs but these grants are disappearing quickly. If you install an array that has more capacity than your actual KVH demand, your local power company buys the overage and sends you check. Your location is important. If you're in Seattle, Washington it's pointless. If you live in an area with an average high percentage of daily clear skies it's more worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Do a Google search for "Solar energy forum" an you may be surprised at how many exist. Every question you could possibly think to ask can be answered in these forums.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,Im a remodel contractor and I have a costomer thats interested in having this done but I dont know anything about it.Im looking for someone that does this in georgia.

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,173 Posts
i would opt for wind power , they can work anytime of the day and year , thats what im looking to do for an off grid house in the future .

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
i would opt for wind power , they can work anytime of the day and year , thats what im looking to do for an off grid house in the future .
A few things to consider......First and foremost would be local regulations regarding height restrictions and noise ordinance. Wind turbines are VERY loud. They generate high decibel, low frequency waves that penetrates most conventional structures for miles. Height restrictions are important because wind loses velocity the closer it gets to the ground. You need height. And last, but most obviously, you need a high average wind speed.

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,173 Posts
A few things to consider......First and foremost would be local regulations regarding height restrictions and noise ordinance. Wind turbines are VERY loud. They generate high decibel, low frequency waves that penetrates most conventional structures for miles. Height restrictions are important because wind loses velocity the closer it gets to the ground. You need height. And last, but most obviously, you need a high average wind speed.

place im looking to do this in is wyoming , north of cody , there are no building codes , the chunk of land i have is at the base of the bear tooth mountains so it gets a good bit of wind .

im not going big , just maybe 1 small unit and batterys . with a gen set back up , not for year round living just seasonal .

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The technology took off in the late 60's and 70's for the "off the grid" pot growers in northern California.

The main reason it hasn't taken off on a national scale is the Government hasn't figured out a way to for it after your initial investment. They like monthly billing so they can tax you to death.
The biggest reason it hasn't taken off is it can't compete with subsidized oil!

·
Registered
700 Posts
With the current cost of Solar and Wind power nobody is going off grid in the near future. Unless you like buring coal, hanging your cloths outside to dry sitting around a single light bulb at night!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
With the current cost of Solar and Wind power nobody is going off grid in the near future. Unless you like buring coal, hanging your cloths outside to dry sitting around a single light bulb at night!
Prices have dropped considerably and efficiency of photovoltaic panels has increased over the last 5 or 6 years. Grants are still available but as previously stated, quickly drying up. Ironically, as our economy leaves most of us with little disposable money to invest with, now is probably the best time to make the leap.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I haven't had a chance to check this out but what kind of power are we talking about? Can you give an example like mV/ft at 90 degrees to direct sunlight?
I posted link above. The company is New Energy Technologies.
Its 300% more efficient than current solar panels. It can conduct solar energy even when in the sun is shaded as well indoor lighting. Its sprayed on windows and is see through. It going to change the solar energy industry. If you do some research on it you'll be quite impressed.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Companies like New Energy Technologies are nothing more than shell games. They make large claims then go public on the Nasdaq to raise millions. From that point they do nothing but loose money and makes small incremental gains while paying officers millions of dollars on salaries. Look at their SEC filings and see how much they loss in 2010. Ocean Power sounds good too right? Look up Ocean Power Technologies Inc. Same deal they go public and raise almost 100 million dollars. Since then nothing but failures, missed delivery dates and thousands of dollars to company officers.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You can currently get Government grants to offset initial costs but these grants are disappearing quickly.
and who ultimately pays for these government grants :smt077

1 - 20 of 23 Posts