Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
32,658 Posts
Im a Chevy guy first....but I have built many 389 series BBF. I almost built one for my Nova...but passed. Like any engine the cylinder head is very important....more so with the Ford.

·
Registered
32,658 Posts

Take it FWIW

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Widest factory bore space, largest dia, and highest cam location, largest head bolts, stronger bottom end than a chevy..On, and on.

In the early 80's you'd see offset ground cast crank 460's that were 511CI making 700hp at 7500 rpm with something like .200 ground off one side of the pin.

The aftermarket stuff is wild now. Had I a better brain I'd switch off the mopar train, for BBF..

One of the best Ford shops there is in tucker GA, ran by a friend named Ted Fischer. Every time I'm there I see some new Ford stuff, that will never be for a mopar.

·
Long Live The King
101,455 Posts
Maybe you don't, but I sure do! Can you guys chime in with your knowledge here? Why they seem less popular, do they make reliable power, are they based off of another block, certain years to look for, are they still made, etc.

Any input appreciated!
What’s the application ?

If you don’t want your thread to get bombarded by the King of Idiocy, and you’re actually looking for some answers I might suggest you post your questions in one of the Tech sections. The King of Idiocy is allergic to the tech sections.

But for now, what’s the application you are anticipating ?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What’s the application ?

If you don’t want your thread to get bombarded by the King of Idiocy, and you’re actually looking for some answers I might suggest you post your questions in one of the Tech sections. The King of Idiocy is allergic to the tech sections.

But for now, what’s the application you are anticipating ?
Not application specific, just looking for general discussion.

·
Long Live The King
101,455 Posts
My A head 604 has put many a Rat on the trailer , more so than the other way around. The days of them being uncommon are over for the most part. But they will still never reach rat numbers simply because they didn’t come in jack shit for muscle cars. Unlike the BBC.
If Ford/Lincoln would have put them in a couple more variety of cars for just another 5 years, or so it would be a different world.

·
Long Live The King
101,455 Posts
Widest factory bore space, largest dia, and highest cam location, largest head bolts, stronger bottom end than a chevy..On, and on.

In the early 80's you'd see offset ground cast crank 460's that were 511CI making 700hp at 7500 rpm with something like .200 ground off one side of the pin.

The aftermarket stuff is wild now. Had I a better brain I'd switch off the mopar train, for BBF..

One of the best Ford shops there is in tucker GA, ran by a friend named Ted Fischer. Every time I'm there I see some new Ford stuff, that will never be for a mopar.
Are talking about Engine Systems in Tucker Ga ?

·
Long Live The King
101,455 Posts
Well in that case , the 460 BBF can be built to fit a very broad range of applications and if building something over 500” is your goal then it’s a good foundation to start with. Over the past 25 years a big variety of cly heads have been on the market that make builds pretty easy and fit a variety of budgets. Mild - Wild

Reactions: HenryFloored

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
What kind of parts are required to turn 7500+?
JMHO: Your asking that indicates you are going where you should not venture... Turning 7,500 or at least making power at those revs requires essentially nothing be stock from a BBF 429/460.
A 7,500 rpm 385 series demands serious racing parts from blocks, rods to heads. You are building a race engine and will be shelling out thousands..
Blows my mind on these guys saying the junk yards are full of 460s.... Yeah I know all those 460s are always way in the back of the junk-yards by all the 427/428s, toploaders, Shaker Hoods and NNN Case detroit-lockers

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
In the 90's I built a 466 pump gas 10.5 to 1 with home ported iron CJ heads, 255/255 .630 lift solid street roller and victor 460/1050 carb that made 630hp at 6500 rpm and with a tunnel ram and two 750's made 666hp at 6500rpm. I'll post the dyno sheets if I can find them.

I used a stock crank with a "stocker" prep. done on it by Lunati, Howards "top fuel" alum rods, flat top Ross pistons, Comp. cam, Jesel 3/8" push rods, Holley 1050.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

10 4.

As for 7500 700hp na with nitrous on top. That was going on all the time in the 80s with stock dove blocks, and offset ground nodular cast cranks. Many with iron heads done by Buddy Jensen , the king of cast iron.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Never forget the ancient days late 70s stopping into TORQUEMAN ENTERPRISES, INC., Glennville, Ga.... Good old boys that made the foundation of monster 429/460s.
They'd braze 1" deck-plates on to 429/460 and sleeve them for 700+ cube combo's.
One day I stopped in and witnessed the tear-down of a pulling trucks big mill that had thrown the entire crank with all main bearings intact out the bottom of the the block while racing that weekend. I saw right there the act of installing big bore sleeves and the power from 700+ cubes left no meat in the main areas - hence out came the crank with cast block and caps around the bearings. .

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
JMHO: Your asking that indicates you are going where you should not venture... Turning 7,500 or at least making power at those revs requires essentially nothing be stock from a BBF 429/460.
A 7,500 rpm 385 series demands serious racing parts from blocks, rods to heads. You are building a race engine and will be shelling out thousands..
Blows my mind on these guys saying the junk yards are full of 460s.... Yeah I know all those 460s are always way in the back of the junk-yards by all the 427/428s, toploaders, Shaker Hoods and NNN Case detroit-lockers
Yeah you’re right. The 460’s have been hoarded to a certain degree especially by the 4 x 4 crowd.

The days of going to an active boneyard and finding them are mostly behind us. Today you’re relegated to getting them from enthusiasts and hoarders for the most part.

A guy in my neighborhood had a semi trailer full of 460 parts. He built a monster truck called “Thumper”. Then he built a mini monster called lil Thumper. That thing was crazy! He swapped a lot of 460’s into 4 x 4 Fords.

Anyhow Earl is the kind of guy you need to find treasure troves of 460 parts. The Ford big blocks ARE NOT rare it’s just that the junkyards don’t keep anything for long anymore.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Never forget the ancient days late 70s stopping into TORQUEMAN ENTERPRISES, INC., Glennville, Ga.... Good old boys that made the foundation of monster 429/460s.
They'd braze 1" deck-plates on to 429/460 and sleeve them for 700+ cube combo's.
One day I stopped in and witnessed the tear-down of a pulling trucks big mill that had thrown the entire crank with all main bearings intact out the bottom of the the block while racing that weekend. I saw right there the act of installing big bore sleeves and the power from 700+ cubes left no meat in the main areas - hence out came the crank with cast block and caps around the bearings. .
Mr Jan Baker I had forgotten all about him he did some amazing things for what he had in his shop. I don’t know if it was true but some one told me those engines fired 2 cylinders at the time. He built a v12 ford out of 2 302 ford blocks and 3 Cleveland heads

·
Long Live The King
101,455 Posts
What kind of parts are required to turn 7500+
Ok , but don’t get your information from Bluto.

if you want to turn a 460-472 to 7,500+ with some modern good heads that can be done pretty easily.

There’s a few things I’d do.

You can still find the Ford 429 service truck steel cranks.(4340) Get it off-set ground to 3.75 -3.85” with BBC rod journals. Get a good set of 6.700 rods and roller cam and spin the hell out of it. I’d look for an external belt driven oil pump and set the psi at 65.

Reactions: Faster7
21 - 40 of 264 Posts