Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you don't, but I sure do! Can you guys chime in with your knowledge here? Why they seem less popular, do they make reliable power, are they based off of another block, certain years to look for, are they still made, etc.

Any input appreciated!

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Excellent architecture for big displacements. If you look at the block closely it’s a scaled up 351Windsor design which of course traces its roots back to the lowly 221,260,289 and 302.

Maybe someone can chime in about the oiling system. I don’t think it’s priority main but other than good assembly and possibly a Kaase oil pump, oil pump drive and a decent pan you don’t have much to worry about up to 6500 or so rpm.

The cylinder heads are good for the most part through the years. All are useable but the early ones are best.

Don‘t listen to the Chevy guys about the exhaust port. They’re easy to modify and get pretty good. It’s the intake side that makes this engine great. Even the pedestrian passenger car and truck heads can support 700 hp.

Its a fun engine to play with because it responds beautifully to modifications. I’ve only ever built one for a 4 X 4 and it was a beast.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Same or similar oiling as cleveland but ok with lower rpm, same distributor as cleveland, same rocker ratio as cleveland. Makes most cubes with stock block, 540ish+ I believe. Lots of info in the N/A section

·
Moderater
12,881 Posts
Reactions: GARYB69Z

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Make a lot more than 540 cubes. A buddy has a 572 cube with an original 1970 block and before there were aftermarket blocks i remember an almost 640 cube one that was a Boss 429 block bored to 4.50" with a 5" stroke.
There are aftermarket blocks still with the standard 4.9" bore space than can be bored to 4.75"

I visited Philip Oakley's shop, he had some nice 460 style engines.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Make a lot more than 540 cubes. A buddy has a 572 cube with an original 1970 block and before there were aftermarket blocks i remember an almost 640 cube one that was a Boss 429 block bored to 4.50" with a 5" stroke.
There are aftermarket blocks still with the standard 4.9" bore space than can be bored to 4.75"

I visited Philip Oakley's shop, he had some nice 460 style engines.
Yes, I think the 540ish was without having to clearance anything

·
Aviation Section
24,841 Posts
The 385 Series 429/460 is the best kept secret! I have no idea why more people are not running this engine and they are still everywhere to be found, just check all the old Motorhomes that are out there in storage yards, almost every one has the 460 and they can be bought cheap! Dave

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Used to be a pretty active forum for 460 but haven’t been on in years.

·
SHERIFF
5,752 Posts
Did a Ford owner ass fuck your old lady while you were out fixing your broken down POS Chevy or what? You sound like a HS kid bashing every Ford related post. Grow the fuck up.
I think you tried but she knocked you the fuck out pussy

1 - 20 of 265 Posts