Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 669 Posts

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.......well here is your thread. I’m staking out this piece of ground and claiming it for the 445 Thunderjet!

This is our brand new descendant of the immortal 351 Cleveland and as such deserves to take it’s rightful place at the throne of the “Kingdom of Horsepower”.

All new and exciting Thunderjet news shall be placed here by order of writ. The king is restless and wants to claim his throne.

·
Registered
17,362 Posts
As a Ford guy I'm just not that impressed right now. I know there is a lot of work/development that can still be gained but at what Total Cost. I know the LS has 20 years of development but this is what it's going to have to compete with in the money marketplace.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If it is only going to be available in three quarter ton and up trucks how available is it going to be? GM puts the LS in everything but toasters which contributes to it's affordability. Since Ford splits up usage between the Ecoboosts, the Coyote and now the 7.3 there will only be so many out there. If you have to pony up for a crate engine it's not quite the same thing as the infamous "junkyard LS and a Chinese turbo"

·
Aviation Section
24,889 Posts
As a Ford guy I'm just not that impressed right now. I know there is a lot of work/development that can still be gained but at what Total Cost. I know the LS has 20 years of development but this is what it's going to have to compete with in the money marketplace.
I love Blueprint, have bought several SBF and SBC crates from them. Was looking at one time to buy two 400 SBC that they make (500HP) for a boat that I was going to re-power but never did.

All of their engines have that 3 year warranty and you can get free shipping. I looked at that LS but bought the traditional BBC 632 for my Chevelle. I want to keep the Chevelle
"old school" and that 632 is the same price roughly as the LS and has 817HP/775 torque! It is mildly roller cammed for it's size and had a lot of good aftermarket parts inside.

Dave

·
Banksters Paradise
7,304 Posts
What happened to the other thread?

·
Registered
16,112 Posts
If it is only going to be available in three quarter ton and up trucks how available is it going to be? GM puts the LS in everything but toasters which contributes to it's affordability. Since Ford splits up usage between the Ecoboosts, the Coyote and now the 7.3 there will only be so many out there. If you have to pony up for a crate engine it's not quite the same thing as the infamous "junkyard LS and a Chinese turbo"
This is true but we'll leave it up to chevy to keep the EBT card swipers happy.

·
Registered
16,112 Posts
Try finding a ls7 on the used market......
In time the 7.3 will be readily available.

Right now as it stands, I'm betting the 7.3 to be the cheaper when going all new.

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
Dammit! Now I need an LS powered Toaster!

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wait wait wait whoa whoa whoa! Surely you recognize potential.

The Covid 19 shutdown knocked the whole program back several months. Don’t worry friend you’ll not be disappointed.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes you do have a point but only to a point. See, GM doesn’t build the LS anymore. They are building the LT series which is their replacement. I don’t think the LT is as inexpensive and as user friendly to work with as the LS was.

Furthermore there is a reason why the Thunderjet is only available in 3/4 ton and up vehicles. It’s because those vehicles are not subject to the same CAFE and EPA standards as half tons and cars.

Most of the LS engine line has the bandaid of DOD placed on them to even qualify for use in those aforementioned vehicles while meeting the standards set out for them.

Small bore Coyotes, EcoBoost V6’s don’t require a bandaid to meet CAFE and EPA.

What is going to happen when the government cracks down on all these vehicles in which the DOD/AFM systems have been disabled?

Just a thought ^^^

1 - 20 of 669 Posts