13841 - 13860 of 14490 Posts

·
Señor Member
29,190 Posts
Chebby noobs read up.
by 427dart » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 am

Steve.k wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:09 am
How many engine mods to run 12.60 then? Or was that original motor setup?
Well I started in stages over a period of 3-4 years. When new I did basic things like rejetting the factory 585 Holley and with the dealer installed 3.73 gear in the little 7.5 rear I was running 14.70's with the stock Gatorbacks spinning like crazy.

Next I put a better curve in the distributor, added the Kaufmann hot hyd. roller cam in place of the factory roller. Cam had 212/222 duration with .496 lift something like the old 428 CJ cam. Also swapped on a pair of 1969 351W heads C90E that somebody gave me 10 yrs. before I owned a Ford.

I cleaned those up and added 1.900 intake valves and ground out the exhaust smog hump in the port. Topped it with a Eddy 289 Performer doctored up to look like the smaller factory aluminum intake. On the stock tires again would run easy 14.30's at 102 MPH spinning those greasy Gators with an easy 1500 RPM launch. Installed a pair of 7.5 inch x 26 Hoosier oval track recaps and ran a 14.0 at 103 with easy launches due to that 7.5 rear end.

In 1989 I built my own Tri-Y headers with a single collector exit much like the old Camaro SLP headers back then from a Dougs Header kit since I was still running the factory single convertor mid pipe. Also had a cutout added in front of convertor. With a fresh pair of the M&H G-60-15 street slicks I ran 13.30's at 104 again not beating on it with the 7.5 rear.

Next year I improved the air filter assembly with a NASCAR type cowl setup and moved up to the Ford B 303 cam and got in the 12.90's at 108 with easy launch 2.04 60 foot times...still 7.5 rear end and 3.73 gear and the little 585 factory Holley carb.

In the early 90's I swapped on the new iron GT-40 heads and the Weiand Excellerator small single plane intake along with a new 9 inch Ford rear setup with 4.11 gear and Detroit Locker. By this time I had replaced the stock T-5 trans with the beefier latest upgraded Ford T-5 trans.

With those M&H G-60-15 tires and some T-bird aluminum spare front runners I was in the 12.60's at a bit over 109.
I never really beat on the thing with hard launches. More like 3000-3500 launch.

I tried a Holley 750 DP but it was only worth about a .2 MPH so put that factory "tweaked" 585 Holley back on.
Those were some fun times in the early 5.0 Mustang days!

Great read Steveo. Thanks! 😜

Reactions: DragBoss

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
by 427dart » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 am

Well I started in stages over a period of 3-4 years. When new I did basic things like rejetting the factory 585 Holley and with the dealer installed 3.73 gear in the little 7.5 rear I was running 14.70's with the stock Gatorbacks spinning like crazy.

Next I put a better curve in the distributor, added the Kaufmann hot hyd. roller cam in place of the factory roller. Cam had 212/222 duration with .496 lift something like the old 428 CJ cam. Also swapped on a pair of 1969 351W heads C90E that somebody gave me 10 yrs. before I owned a Ford.

I cleaned those up and added 1.900 intake valves and ground out the exhaust smog hump in the port. Topped it with a Eddy 289 Performer doctored up to look like the smaller factory aluminum intake. On the stock tires again would run easy 14.30's at 102 MPH spinning those greasy Gators with an easy 1500 RPM launch. Installed a pair of 7.5 inch x 26 Hoosier oval track recaps and ran a 14.0 at 103 with easy launches due to that 7.5 rear end.

In 1989 I built my own Tri-Y headers with a single collector exit much like the old Camaro SLP headers back then from a Dougs Header kit since I was still running the factory single convertor mid pipe. Also had a cutout added in front of convertor. With a fresh pair of the M&H G-60-15 street slicks I ran 13.30's at 104 again not beating on it with the 7.5 rear.

Next year I improved the air filter assembly with a NASCAR type cowl setup and moved up to the Ford B 303 cam and got in the 12.90's at 108 with easy launch 2.04 60 foot times...still 7.5 rear end and 3.73 gear and the little 585 factory Holley carb.

In the early 90's I swapped on the new iron GT-40 heads and the Weiand Excellerator small single plane intake along with a new 9 inch Ford rear setup with 4.11 gear and Detroit Locker. By this time I had replaced the stock T-5 trans with the beefier latest upgraded Ford T-5 trans.

With those M&H G-60-15 tires and some T-bird aluminum spare front runners I was in the 12.60's at a bit over 109.
I never really beat on the thing with hard launches. More like 3000-3500 launch.

I tried a Holley 750 DP but it was only worth about a .2 MPH so put that factory "tweaked" 585 Holley back on.
Those were some fun times in the early 5.0 Mustang days!

Great read Steveo. Thanks! 😜
Yes it is. You snooping were you. All with factory short block.The 102 mph he first ran with 69 heads is good for 12.6 with good rubber. But he was scared of the light diff which was very weak.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Yes it is. You snooping were you. All with factory short block.
LOL What. In. The. Fuck.
You went from "suspension tweaks and slicks", to the full story, which is a complete fucking head swap and change everything else. What a complete crock of shit. Never wonder why no person believes a damn thing you say lol
So this guy does a head/cam/intake swap, carb teaks, etc. and goes 12.60 with slicks, and call it IMPRESSIVE. Yet you claim you can make an '83 Mustang with less HP go 12.3's with ONLY a cam swap and headers. You are the biggest bullshitter here. Fact.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Yes heads cam and 289 intake(not sure what 289 intake would gain) Oh and headers. Lol. Next to you for bs. Yes correct.HaHa.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Yes heads cam and 289 intake(not sure what 289 intake would gain) Oh and headers. Lol. Next to you for bs. Yes correct.HaHa.
Unlike you, no BS. Just facts. Oh, and here's fact...
14.0's with an Edelbrock Performer intake. The "289" reference doesn't mean shit, BTW
There's the intake he ran 12's with. Not to mention, a GEAR change.
Like I said, I'm a bullshitter. However, the fact that you can bullshit people, get caught red handed in bullshit, and flat out keep lying about it, well that tells a lot about you. Just like now, you're trying to downplay it as if it were just a "few" mods that really did nothing. You got caught. Be a man. Admit you're full of shit on that original claim.

·
Señor Member
29,190 Posts
Yes it is. You snooping were you. All with factory short block.The 102 mph he first ran with 69 heads is good for 12.6 with good rubber. But he was scared of the light diff which was very weak.

😜

Stock 7.5" rear. Stock everything but the Vette rear wheels and MT stickies.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Unlike you, no BS. Just facts. Oh, and here's fact...

14.0's with an Edelbrock Performer intake. The "289" reference doesn't mean shit, BTW

There's the intake he ran 12's with. Not to mention, a GEAR change.
Like I said, I'm a bullshitter. However, the fact that you can bullshit people, get caught red handed in bullshit, and flat out keep lying about it, well that tells a lot about you. Just like now, you're trying to downplay it as if it were just a "few" mods that really did nothing. You got caught. Be a man. Admit you're full of shit on that original claim.
He ran 14’s with the original gears at 102mph. Which I already said was good for 12.69. However he didn’t want to push gears as they are light.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

😜

Stock 7.5" rear. Stock everything but the Vette rear wheels and MT stickies.

Phuckio you know at 102 he can go 12.69. But he was scared of diff. So he was right there. I know now talking to guys the early heads not much different than the later. The early heads offered the bigger valves already which is likely what he was trying to gain. All in all very little mods to go fast. I know guys that were not changing heads here with similar times. We raced against them lots. There lighter weight made them tough to beat.

·
Señor Member
29,190 Posts
Phuckio you know at 102 he can go 12.69. But he was scared of diff. So he was right there. I know now talking to guys the early heads not much different than the later. The early heads offered the bigger valves already which is likely what he was trying to gain. All in all very little mods to go fast. I know guys that were not changing heads here with similar times. We raced against them lots. There lighter weight made them tough to beat.
You keep going by that chart Steveo...but what you fail to understand is that the ETs listed are the best possible ETs for the listed speeds.

About the only cars that car run those ETs at those speeds are Stock Eliminator/Super Stock race cars. But even a Stock Elim stick car would have a real hard time running 12.69 at 102 MPH...there just isn't enough TQ multiplication.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
He ran 14’s with the original gears at 102mph. Which I already said was good for 12.69. However he didn’t want to push gears as they are light.
LOL Gears? Who really gives a shit about the gears. Fact still remains, his 12 second times took A LOT more than what you said, which was "suspension tweaks and slicks".
Just be a man. Admit it. You tried to slip one by and got caught. No biggie, but be a man and own up to it. Stop trying to act as if you were right.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Phuckio you know at 102 he can go 12.69. But he was scared of diff.
Remember that you said this. BLUEOVALRACER should read it too. Remember this the next time you try to "analyze" my timeslip. I had a D44 rear with only Moser axles at the time.
But here you are crowing over how he could have gone so much quicker because of his 102MPH trap speed, just scare of the diff. However, when I go 107MPH to the 1/8, you ignore that, and go on about the 1.7 60' (and yep, didn't want to bust the D44), or the 115MPH 1/4 speed.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
LOL Gears? Who really gives a shit about the gears. Fact still remains, his 12 second times took A LOT more than what you said, which was "suspension tweaks and slicks".
Just be a man. Admit it. You tried to slip one by and got caught. No biggie, but be a man and own up to it. Stop trying to act as if you were right.
Ok don’t shoot. You got me. Lol. Still impressive very little mods. Stock bottom end to.Like i said heads , cam headers and intake, maybe rockers and possibly.......... etc?

·
Señor Member
29,190 Posts
Steveo doing a lil trolling...and ended up getting his line stuck in his propeller. 😜

13841 - 13860 of 14490 Posts