Yellow Bullet Forums banner

13821 - 13840 of 14491 Posts

Registered
This from another forum. Very interesting.

Jun 29, 2020 10:29 am

It is a 1985 LX. I ordered it as a 5.0 HO with the 5spd. with dealer installed 3.73 gears back in late April 1985.
Always a project car and never driven in bad weather or Winter car has 26,000 miles on it and was in several Mustang magazines in the 90's
while running with it's original 302 engine. Got it in the 12.60's at 108-109 MPH back then with the little factory 585 Holley carb!
Why is it "very interesting"? Not one person here has ever said high 12's weren't possible with the 302. Not one. What you're lacking here, is the information on modifications. Which is what I find interesting.

Registered
Yada,Yada,Yada go away Mr. Clueless if you would have said it was a 2 second or slower 60ft time maybe someone would believe you!!So you're saying Gary is wrong then on the Nitrous thing?
So you keep calling me "Mr. Clueless", yet I'm the one who's showing you guys how to read a timeslip. Here's a link to the beloved online calculators you guys love
Put in the 1/8 MPH. See what the run should have been. Learn something. For god sakes, you posted a timeslip a few pages back. Your 60' was only .05 (read 5 hundreths) of a second slower, yet you went almost 1 second slower. Then, you ran 119MPH in the 1/4. Again, me running 1 second faster in the 1/4, only went 115MPH. You call me "Mr. Clueless", yet you can't figure out why my numbers are so off.
You're either completely dumb, or just don't want to admit that Jeep runs damn good.

Registered
Why is it "very interesting"? Not one person here has ever said high 12's weren't possible with the 302. Not one. What you're lacking here, is the information on modifications. Which is what I find interesting.
I talked to the guy who owns car. Thats with no mods. Suspension tweaks and tires. Lmfao.

Registered
I talked to the guy who owns car. Thats with no mods. Suspension tweaks and tires. Lmfao.
Yup, nothing done under the hood just like it cam from the assembly line......same story used when I street raced in many years ago...69 Dodge SB had a locked hood...potential opponent would ask what engine ...." 318 2 barrel" His buddy would look under the car and see the stock Dana 60 and 2-1/2 inch exhaust..." that ain't no fucking two barrel 318" "oh ok, it's a 318 4 bbl".

Registered
I just asked him again. The car came with five speed and factory 3.73. I would imagine that was slicks and exhaust. Ill see what replie is. However Ive seen cars at track back then running that cause it used to piss me off. My modified Cleveland cougar ran 12.90. Those guys were running as quick. However i was nearly 1000lbs heavier.

Registered
I just asked him again. The car came with five speed and factory 3.73. I would imagine that was slicks and exhaust. Ill see what replie is. However Ive seen cars at track back then running that cause it used to piss me off. My modified Cleveland cougar ran 12.90. Those guys were running as quick. However i was nearly 1000lbs heavier.
You can ask all you want. Fact is, if it were possible with slicks and exhaust, there would have been A LOT more cars doing so. Reading "always a project car" and "while running with it's original 302 engine " means there's more done to it than you're being told.
Again, nobody said a 302 wasn't capable.

Registered
Since you're so good at "reading timeslips", let's do a little math
5.0 V8 manual or automatic, 3,000lbs.
5.0 V8 (non EFI) 210HP
Plug those into your beloved online calculators
Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3000 pounds and HP of 210 is 14.13 seconds and MPH of 95.62 MPH.
How is it the guy picked up 13MPH (using the lower 108MPH trap speed you listed) with ZERO engine modifications?

Registered
Since you're so good at "reading timeslips", let's do a little math
5.0 V8 manual or automatic, 3,000lbs.
5.0 V8 (non EFI) 210HP
Plug those into your beloved online calculators
Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3000 pounds and HP of 210 is 14.13 seconds and MPH of 95.62 MPH.
How is it the guy picked up 13MPH (using the lower 108MPH trap speed you listed) with ZERO engine modifications?
Just chatted him. B303 cam. Home made headers he built and slicks. He modified the factory carb himself. So yes some modifications but still impressive.My sisters-in-law just contacted me may have found early 80s capri. They just checking to see what engine. May have found my donor car.

Registered
Just chatted him. B303 cam. Home made headers he built and slicks. He modified the factory carb himself. So yes some modifications but still impressive.My sisters-in-law just contacted me may have found early 80s capri. They just checking to see what engine. May have found my donor car.
So cam/lifters, possible rocker arms too. Headers, modified carb. Suspension mods, and slicks. Those are the mods we know of anyway. IMO pretty cool, but far from what was originally said. Now, I'll fully admit I'm a bullshitter (you have to be to do some grudge racing), but regardless of what you want to believe, I'm also a racer, and know bullshit when I see it.
BTW, as a teenager (pre 16), one of my girlfriends older sisters had an 80's Carpi with the 5.0. That's actually the car that made me a believer in the 5.0's.

13821 - 13840 of 14491 Posts