Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 12145 Posts

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is probably the best dissertation of the design parameters built into Ford’s poly angle cylinder heads and lots of other relative information on the basic engine design which serves even today as the pinnacle of automotive pushrod V8 engine design.

Interestingly the author (George Pence) provides these well researched columns from both the perspective of having actually built Cleveland’s and interviews from its original designers. At the same time he points and gives credit to the Chrysler as the inventors of the “poly” combustion chamber. He states later that both Chevrolet and Ford copied this design for their later engines.

I’m sure this will touch off a firestorm of anti Ford sentiment but I don’t give a phuck really.

I’ll use the train wreck of the other thread about Coyote blocks of all things as inspiration to provide good information about Ford engines. I feel bad for the OP of that thread and the folks that designed and built the Coyote block. That should’ve been what the thread was about. The thread killers put an end to that as they always do.

So read if you wish, or don’t I don’t care. Y’all chivolay boys can throw everything ya got at me over here. (Frankly y’all outta gas anyways)

Lastly my hat is off to George Pence. This information is brilliant and we’ll written.

Enjoy!

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/clevelands/the-351-cleveland-cylinder-head-t25388.html?sid=bd5208229edcf188809aa03b06ca203b&amp=1

·
A bad example for others
35,766 Posts
You’re exempt 330. This will hopefully end up being a technical discussion.
A discussion of a dated design that was seldom seen back in the day let alone on any cars seen in the wild today.

It was a great performer...in the hands of the 6-8 guys that actually ran them. It doesn't matter how good you are if you're a one-off.

·
MFI on CH3OH
14,101 Posts
Cylinder heads up they were a killer piece. The rest was junk that broke blocks and cranks at the hint of HP

·
Señor Member
28,225 Posts
Ford testing in the early 1960s found the poly-angle combustion chamber and canted valves of this type of cylinder head yielded broad - flat torque curves; compared to other cylinder head designs it did not produce the highest peak power but it produced the best average torque and horsepower over the widest range of engine speeds.

But...but...but...Erik-427 said Furd already had a patent on this type of head before the Chrysler Poly even came out. That's why Mopar had to get rid of the Poly motor. :rolleyes:

Here ya go Henry...from none other than the Admin of 351Cnet.

Does the combustion chamber in the picture below look vaguely familiar? Its the combustion chamber of a mid-1950's Chrysler Poly Spherical canted valve head. The Chrysler Poly Spherical head was the first canted valve head, the one Chevy and Ford copied. The combustion chambers of the big block Chevy and the big block Ford don't resemble this too much, but the Cleveland is a dead ringer.

http://351c.net/board/index.php?/topic/6-g-pence-picture-the-first-poly-angle-combustion-chamber/

FordSux:

:smt082:smt082:smt082

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
25,672 Posts
A discussion of a dated design that was seldom seen back in the day let alone on any cars seen in the wild today.

It was a great performer...in the hands of the 6-8 guys that actually ran them. It doesn't matter how good you are if you're a one-off.
If it wasn’t for Bob Glidden noone on this board would even talk about them.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Other than the cylinder head, the Cleveland was a big old POS!

·
Registered
26,669 Posts
I outran them more then I was outran by them. No weight breaks of any kind, at a local track. But, I wasn’t exactly running against Bob Glidden. They actually got caught throwing weight to beat me, and cheating on cubes, against a set of 461x heads. That’s just my experience.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts

Agreed

A motor thats even rarer to see at the track than a SB Chrysler.

1 - 20 of 12145 Posts