Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine made the switch to an AMS-1000 which is the baddest boost controller period. At the same time he wanted to add a 2nd wastegate to control the boost on the hit alittle more precisely so he picks up 2 ebay HKS knockoffs. He installs the 4# spring in the wastegate with alittle preload. Heads to the track and the car has a very tough time coming up on boost, he made a few changes but nothing really helped. On the last hit he decides to crank in the preload to see if it helps. It helped, the car came up on boost quicker but still not fast enough for heads up action. The numbers on the AMS1000 also dont look right and the turbo is slow to come on line eventhough the car goes 5.0 on a soft pass.

So we're talking and the wastegates get questioned and a couple days later they are switched out for a set of precision 46mm gates with 4# springs. Should be the spooling the same and everything right? Apparently the turbo comes up to boost significantly faster(3-4 sec)with the precision gates vs the Ebay HKS knockoffs. Eventhough it makes the same boost, it gets there quicker.:rolleyes:

And I'll quote..."The car has never been this consistent"

The boys in Michigan might have their hands full if he gets a handle on the whole setup.....

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,555 Posts
i was just reading up on the vs xo2 gates and it seems they need to be taken apart and such and cleaned,lubed,smoothed and diff springs to work right..

im just going to get a jgs 50mm for my deal..88mm,370 or 383ci on a blow threw.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i was just reading up on the vs xo2 gates and it seems they need to be taken apart and such and cleaned,lubed,smoothed and diff springs to work right..

im just going to get a jgs 50mm for my deal..88mm,370 or 383ci on a blow threw.

i did the same with mine and it didnt make any diff.. just buy a good one and be done with it..

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
On my car, it depends on the exhaust backpressure on to how well the X02 works. With my old mid frame 75mm and my new S480 the gate will regulate to 12psi on the spring. Wth my old larger frame 88mm, I could not get boost to go lower than 20psi, even with the light spring. The gate would be open at 5psi, but would creep to 20psi.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Make yourself a plate that will mount on the wastegate with the v-band clamp and tap a 1/4 pipe thread it in. Put a quick disconnect fitting in the plate. Start with a regulated air supply and test both waste gates as different pressures and see if #1 they blow off at the same pressure and #2 if the e-bay ones are leaking even at low pressure.

The other thing is as the weather gets warmer and the DA increases you may need to take some fuel away on the bottom end to get the motor to rev enough to produce some exhaust/boost.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Buddy of mine made the switch to an AMS-1000 which is the baddest boost controller period. At the same time he wanted to add a 2nd wastegate to control the boost on the hit alittle more precisely so he picks up 2 ebay HKS knockoffs. He installs the 4# spring in the wastegate with alittle preload. Heads to the track and the car has a very tough time coming up on boost, he made a few changes but nothing really helped. On the last hit he decides to crank in the preload to see if it helps. It helped, the car came up on boost quicker but still not fast enough for heads up action. The numbers on the AMS1000 also dont look right and the turbo is slow to come on line eventhough the car goes 5.0 on a soft pass.

So we're talking and the wastegates get questioned and a couple days later they are switched out for a set of precision 46mm gates with 4# springs. Should be the spooling the same and everything right? Apparently the turbo comes up to boost significantly faster(3-4 sec)with the precision gates vs the Ebay HKS knockoffs. Eventhough it makes the same boost, it gets there quicker.:rolleyes:

And I'll quote..."The car has never been this consistent"

The boys in Michigan might have their hands full if he gets a handle on the whole setup.....
Helps when you have gates that seal properly on the seat.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Helps when you have gates that seal properly on the seat.
yeah, with the ebay gates you almost have to reface the valve to match the seat, only issue we've had so far with em. the xo2 gates seem to work pretty good, i used 1 60mm gate on my lil dragboat lsx motor, and before coating everything i check the valve to seat fitment and it was pretty decent, i ended up leaving it alone.

·
:D
1,427 Posts
You get what you pay for...

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
a single 50mm Im not sure if that will hold a 88mm turbo down enough to leave on a little tire. Mine made 530 on 6 lbs on my dyno, thats enough power to 1.25 60 ft on a 275. Id go right to a 60mm

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got a phone call from Mark who is testing the new wastegates today. The precision wastegates are making soo much more boost and faster we had to change the staging technique from the ebay gates. 1st hit with the new wastegates on a shitty track netted a 1.25 60' which is faster than he has everf been to the 60' just by changing a couple small things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts