Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to disasemble my car this week and i just go to the back end.
Well my UPR controll arm tried to kill me seems that it doesnt like 1450 rear wheel torque.

I am sure this failed before I hit the wall as the rear end took no damage from the wreck it didnt even bend the rear wheels they are on another car right now being used and the anti roll bar has tiny thin tabs that atach it they would snap off from any side movment long before the controll arm should fail.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
that sucks... we had a similar deal with our AJE drop spindles

chad

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Dean, that sucks. Did you ever get rid of that 25.5 coupe you had a while ago?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have 2 customers that had some UPR control arms that broke, both are running 7.80s on stock suspension. I changed everything out to Wolfes stuff and so far no problems. I don't know if UPR had a bad batch or what. Maybe UPR uses mild steel and Wolfe uses chromoly?

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
Watching this thread..........

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Looks to me like the problem is with the welding process/technique...

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
Watching this thread..........
Me too - after reading teh UPR bash fast on teh suspension forum (I think it was there) this could get interesting.

More important though - I'm glad you found a cause. Nothing worse than NOT knowing what went wrong and having to hope it won't do it again. Still sucks about the loss though :(

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lets be reasonable though guys .. 1650 rwhp and 1450 rwtq on a drag radial is a prety rough life and NOT something any of these controll arms were built for hell its not something the stock suspension was ever built for. :( still sucks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well like any fellow racer, especially one with almost an identical car combo, I hate to see a crash. Like the others said, the car can be replaced. The uppers look to be older models, we have not made that style upper in approximately 3-4 years. We now have a gusset or brace on the top and the bottom of the u shaped bracket. We have sold thousands upon thousands of these control arms without an issue. It looks to me from the foggy picture that the metal simply tore.
I am not putting blame anywhere, however racers especially the ones with power plants like this need to be aware of change. On another post the driver stated "well I admit I should have aborted the pass earlier.. it got loose before the 8th a couple times and I pedaled it but I got back in it because I was still in the grove and to be honest imp used to doing that before the 8th if the car starts to tire shake or blow them I pedal to half and get back in it because the cars moving slow enough to do it but no way on the big end if it gets loose there I just lift.. The thing is even if I had had a perfect pass up to the 1000 foot mark this still would have happened because I was passed all the drama and the car had settled down and was in the groove then it just got out again.

After about 700 feet it settled down was going straight and in the groove so I stayed in it .. At 1000 feet that sucker just went left towards the cones when I hit max boost and at that point I simply lifted no trying to get back in it on the big end... but soon as i lifted the ass came around and i slid diagonaly into the wall."

Racers need to be aware of an important lesson that I learned from racing with Billy Glidden: maintenance must be performed on a regular basis. I inspect every inch of my car before each outing. From all of the suspension to the engine every area must be looked at. I am positive that the u bracket would have told the story long before the crash. I have worked on many cars at the track that were ill handling and found loose jam nuts, missing nuts, bent parts, etc. Please be aware that if you have to "pedal" a car, there is always a reason. Drag radial cars are always prone to heavy weight tire shake; this wreaks havoc on suspension components, more reason to inspect all on a regular basis.
I know that I am open in yellow bullet for bashing, so fire away, but let’s try to keep it civil and factual.

Thank you,
Jeremy Martorella
561 588 6630

·
Registered
202 Posts
[Dean,
Please contact me at 561 588 6630
I also sent you a PM

quote=8urls1;1014741]Lets be reasonable though guys .. 1650 rwhp and 1450 rwtq on a drag radial is a prety rough life and NOT something any of these controll arms were built for hell its not something the stock suspension was ever built for. :( still sucks[/quote]

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've seen that happen on a street car, looked identical to what happened to you. This car never crashed though because there was obviously something wrong with the rear suspension.

·
Senior Frog
10,345 Posts
Id like to see some gussets on that bar where the 2 meet....
Which I have seen on other mfgs of high HP stock suspention parts...A few little traingles is all it takes to give a longer life span
but who knows maybe it was a so so weld

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
k

Well like any fellow racer, especially one with almost an identical car combo, I hate to see a crash. Like the others said, the car can be replaced. The uppers look to be older models, we have not made that style upper in approximately 3-4 years. We now have a gusset or brace on the top and the bottom of the u shaped bracket. We have sold thousands upon thousands of these control arms without an issue. It looks to me from the foggy picture that the metal simply tore.
I am not putting blame anywhere, however racers especially the ones with power plants like this need to be aware of change. On another post the driver stated "well I admit I should have aborted the pass earlier.. it got loose before the 8th a couple times and I pedaled it but I got back in it because I was still in the grove and to be honest imp used to doing that before the 8th if the car starts to tire shake or blow them I pedal to half and get back in it because the cars moving slow enough to do it but no way on the big end if it gets loose there I just lift.. The thing is even if I had had a perfect pass up to the 1000 foot mark this still would have happened because I was passed all the drama and the car had settled down and was in the groove then it just got out again.

After about 700 feet it settled down was going straight and in the groove so I stayed in it .. At 1000 feet that sucker just went left towards the cones when I hit max boost and at that point I simply lifted no trying to get back in it on the big end... but soon as i lifted the ass came around and i slid diagonaly into the wall."

Racers need to be aware of an important lesson that I learned from racing with Billy Glidden: maintenance must be performed on a regular basis. I inspect every inch of my car before each outing. From all of the suspension to the engine every area must be looked at. I am positive that the u bracket would have told the story long before the crash. I have worked on many cars at the track that were ill handling and found loose jam nuts, missing nuts, bent parts, etc. Please be aware that if you have to "pedal" a car, there is always a reason. Drag radial cars are always prone to heavy weight tire shake; this wreaks havoc on suspension components, more reason to inspect all on a regular basis.
I know that I am open in yellow bullet for bashing, so fire away, but let’s try to keep it civil and factual.

Thank you,
Jeremy Martorella
561 588 6630
I am a upr dealer and the new controll arsm do have a small brace welded under the bottom of them as stated however I had not had a problem with these.

the adition of 350 more rqtw seems to have put these out side their structural limits.

I was under my car the day before this race there was no defect or tear before the race though

I always get under my car and check EVERY SINGLE jam nut and controll arm before a race ever since when i was with murillo we had a ladder bar end come out on his car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used to run the jegs adjustables my self and by lookin at the pic why would you weld a round end to something square? jegs makes there's trianglated and the weld is not being square on it. I like the pair you have but the why they are welded steers me away from them thats all. always inspect your car before and after a race.

·
Registered
602 Posts
8urls1

Dean....it is Dean isn't it if I recall from TM.com

Have you seen the beautiful thread over in the stock suspension forum? Obivously opinions vary, but it might be worth a read. I'll be sure and link this post to it...

Good quality read...

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62319

To Jeremy's defense: I've seen folded Granatelli lowers, but they are also a cheap product. ;)

JEREMYUPR said:
The uppers look to be older models, we have not made that style upper in approximately 3-4 years. We now have a gusset or brace on the top and the bottom of the u shaped bracket.

"Older models"? Oh what the hell Jeremy......

First off, where's my shirts?

Second - So there are older models of control arms? I think Wolfe has had the same design since day #1. :smt017

1 - 20 of 44 Posts