Yellow Bullet Forums banner

how long is too long to be out of work?

• 1-3 months

Votes: 53 54.1%
  • 3-6 months

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • 6 months to 1 year

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • fuck work,i'd rather be on unemployment 4 the rest of my life.

Votes: 7 7.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we had some guys arguing here at work and the general concensus was 6 months. after that pretty much everyone agree its either time to lower your standards or change professions.

i'm curious to see what you guys think is a reasonable timeframe.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Its been 4 months for me and Im looking for work outta state myself

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its been 4 months for me and Im looking for work outta state myself

i know its hard out there but i know guys that havent worked for OVER two years. i know another guy that hasn't worked in over 7 years.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
3 years here but for two of them i have been a manny to my two year old daughter,after figuring fuel and food and the other costs in working at a real job plus daycare for the baby it was actually more beneficial for me to stay at home and be a manny!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 years here but for two of them i have been a manny to my two year old daughter,after figuring fuel and food and the other costs in working at a real job plus daycare for the baby it was actually more beneficial for me to stay at home and be a manny!

so how do you support your family? im sure your wife works but do you get supplemental income? i.e. unemployment,disability?

i'm a sahd myself and work full time. it can be done. lol.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
no unemployment ever collected and the wife makes enuff to pay the bills and every year we get our tax check we would pay offa vehicle or a bill so both vehicles paid for and i do some workin on a few grudge cars and make a couple bucks to help my racing habit

·
Registered
378 Posts
ive been out of work for 5 weeks and im going out of my fucking mind! i hate it! i look online everyday, have put in probably 50 applications, only 2 interviews, no call-backs. too much experience and they dot want you because NO ONE around here pays more than 10 bucks an hour. they can get mexicans to do the job. not enough expierience and they dont want you either. big trouble for out of work workers!

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
i know its hard out there but i know guys that havent worked for OVER two years. i know another guy that hasn't worked in over 7 years.
Well that right there HAS to be by choice, because thats just crazy!!! Being disabled is one thing, but not to work that long if your able to is insane!! 7/11, BK, McDs, Wally World is always hiring when your family is suffering because of stupidity!

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
I chose # 4 for you see it's nice to sit around after a lifetime of work and collect a check. For a young family 3-6 months should be your limit.

99 weeks of free money, I'd be a fool not to enjoy it,,,TLW.

·
Chicken Leg?
17,838 Posts
i was out of work for 7 months, and between that & going through a nasty divorce, it has cost me everything. i'm living at a friend's house, my truck and my race car are both gone, and i've sold just about everything else. i got a good job lined up, so i'm pretty much starting all over. but i've been down before, i know the routine...:D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that right there HAS to be by choice, because thats just crazy!!! Being disabled is one thing, but not to work that long if your able to is insane!! 7/11, BK, McDs, Wally World is always hiring when your family is suffering because of stupidity!

its definately by choice. these guys both milk the system. they do unemployment and do side jobs to scrape by.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I chose # 4 for you see it's nice to sit around after a lifetime of work and collect a check. For a young family 3-6 months should be your limit.

99 weeks of free money, I'd be a fool not to enjoy it,,,TLW.

at least your honest. how old are you and what did you do for a living?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
first year no work unless you were cutting throats on contracts like everyone else then not make any money, second year my daughter was born and i made the commitment to be a manny,the first 6 months of that i was going stir crazy not working or racing,then the third year and now my daughter is 2 and she is a blast to be around and i do have plans to go back to work...............................someday!!

·
Registered
6,278 Posts

I have been retired for 2 years now, and I have run across alot of people that are in the same boat. But what pisses me off about some (not all) of the people is, they get job offers and refuse to take them because they have to take a pay cut. My nephew runs a clean company and they have had a ad in the local paper and on line for 6 months now, and have had 5 people apply in that time. He gave them all a job but not a damn one of them showed up for work.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
first year no work unless you were cutting throats on contracts like everyone else then not make any money, second year my daughter was born and i made the commitment to be a manny,the first 6 months of that i was going stir crazy not working or racing,then the third year and now my daughter is 2 and she is a blast to be around and i do have plans to go back to work...............................someday!!

ahhh gotcha. so your not getting any supplemental income? just moms salary?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have been retired for 2 years now, and I have run across alot of people that are in the same boat. But what pisses me off about some (not all) of the people is, they get job offers and refuse to take them because they have to take a pay cut. My nephew runs a clean company and they have had a ad in the local paper and on line for 6 months now, and have had 5 people apply in that time. He gave them all a job but not a damn one of them showed up for work.

that right there is my point exactly!!!!

the guys i know are too valuable to take a paycut! lol.

i coown a business with my brother and we do subcontracting at ORD. We were extremely swamped and i started to interview people in hopes of taking some of my 100hr work weeks off my plate. i offered 25 an hour to start and a 2.50 raise after the probationary period(6 months) along with full family insurance paid for by me. i had a line of excuses from these interviewees a mile long. they only wanted certain hours, they couldnt be in the cold(its all outside work,) they wanted me to buy them tools...wtf? lol. i told the one moron what kind of mechanic doesnt have his own tools? he said well i'm very good at what i do and if you want the best you have to give a little. i almost fell the fuck over.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts