Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Garage is Colder than I thought... Went to Start the Engine, to warm it up to move some oil around, and when I started it, I heard a Belt Squealing... Hmmmm
I looked at the Pulleys while it was turning over, and the Water pump Pulley was not moving... Frozen... then I thought "Faaack" Freeze Plugs... and Sure enough, the one on the Front of the Drivers Side was pushed out...

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
i used to leave a 60watt trouble light under the hood of my car it kept it warm enough not to freeze as long as the bulb don,t burn out

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I checked mine with a coolant guage and I'm good to 0* (yes I run anti-freeze) But back when I re-did head gaskets I lost some and just added water.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's why if I leave a engine in through the winter I drain the block and Rad. It's 28 here and shop was 42 this morning at 7.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,413 Posts
I drain my water out and put an antifreeze and water mix in for the winter. What if you lost power for a few day, your heated garage could get too cold after a few days.

·
Registered
872 Posts
A friend of mine lost his block and heads due to cracks caused from freezing. With synthetic oils and tranny fluids, the no anti-freeze rule is a joke, that is why I started using anti-freeze.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Well my Garage is Colder than I thought... Went to Start the Engine, to warm it up to move some oil around, and when I started it, I heard a Belt Squealing... Hmmmm
I looked at the Pulleys while it was turning over, and the Water pump Pulley was not moving... Frozen... then I thought "Faaack" Freeze Plugs... and Sure enough, the one on the Front of the Drivers Side was pushed out... ]
You better do more checking. I have seen many blocks that cracked, and pushed out large chunks of the lifter valley after they froze.

·
Registered
296 Posts
About ten years ago i found a freeze plug on the ground near my chevelle, i also found that the block split in the lifter valley. Not some junk 2 bolt mainer but, a bowtie block. I hope your luck is better than mine.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
"why" would you not use antifreeze in your car in the winter when your not racing ? if you pushed the core plugs out id be willing to bet that block is cracked too.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
About ten years ago i found a freeze plug on the ground near my chevelle, i also found that the block split in the lifter valley. Not some junk 2 bolt mainer but, a bowtie block. I hope your luck is better than mine.
Uhhhhhggghhhh!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts