Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at tool box on Snap On's web site, MSRP is $15k. What kind of discount should I see for paying cash?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I was always told the markup on boxes is over 50%. Can't remember the exact percentage but it batter than 50.
I would buy a used one in nice shape.
They are around. There is a lot of us getting out of the business.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I was always told the markup on boxes is over 50%. Can't remember the exact percentage but it batter than 50.
I would buy a used one in nice shape.
They are around. There is a lot of us getting out of the business.
Over 50% markup? Nope. Maybe that much, or more, with some of the other dealers China/Mexico boxes.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Snap on boxes have huge markup lots of dealers get discounts from Snap on on boxes as sales incentives and rewards for sales quotas met. I had a box I bought new for 3500 and traded it in 5 years later and got the same amount on trade for a new bigger box and he took 1500 off the new box. Snap on is just like any other tool manufacturer the more you buy as a dealer the better the pricing.

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
You can buy a nice kobalt box for 1200 dollars. Why would you drop 15k on sheet metal, drawers and wheels?
You’re obviously not in the trade. There’s maybe one box in my whole shop (of 9 techs) that’s an off-brand, and the guy is a hack, his most used tools are a hammer and prybar.

OP, talk to your dealer, tell him what you want and get the actual price, if he’s heading to a show he will get great deals on boxes, or if the tool box truck comes around you can get a good deal there as well. A used box is a good option if you’re down with that, but the guy who works next to me just got a box a couple months ago, retail was I think $11k, he got it for $6500 or so-but he financed it, the dealer gave it to him cheaper doing that. You’re probably better doing the same and paying it off quick.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Over 50% markup? Nope. Maybe that much, or more, with some of the other dealers China/Mexico boxes.
That came from an ex snapon dealer that was in my biddies shop about 15ys ago. I do remember him saying pretty much everyting chrome was right at 50%.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
You’re obviously not in the trade. There’s maybe one box in my whole shop (of 9 techs) that’s an off-brand, and the guy is a hack, his most used tools are a hammer and prybar.

OP, talk to your dealer, tell him what you want and get the actual price, if he’s heading to a show he will get great deals on boxes, or if the tool box truck comes around you can get a good deal there as well. A used box is a good option if you’re down with that, but the guy who works next to me just got a box a couple months ago, retail was I think $11k, he got it for $6500 or so-but he financed it, the dealer gave it to him cheaper doing that. You’re probably better doing the same and paying it off quick.
We got a kobalt in our shop that’s used by 4 guys all day long 6 days a week. Bottom drawer did give out but it was their fault cause they had about 300 lbs or scrap metal in it. Other then that it’s been holding up good

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
We got a kobalt in our shop that’s used by 4 guys all day long 6 days a week. Bottom drawer did give out but it was their fault cause they had about 300 lbs or scrap metal in it. Other then that it’s been holding up good
Define “shop”, and define “guys”.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I have been in the automotive business for 35 years. A tool box will not make you any money. But it can save you money by securing your tools.

Most of the time I see a tech want to be the hotshot with a big fancy expensive box. And in the end they either can't fix a pot of coffee or they don't have the right tool for
the job.

I have 5 tool boxes. Two Mac's, one Snap On and two Craftsman. All bought used for cash at a decent deal. Plus I have a couple of metal cabinets for assorted special tools. Sure, I would love to have a big box to put everything in but all it would do be cost me more money.

Take my advise. Buy more tools and get all the training that you can. NAPA and O'Reilly's offer plenty of classes.

Invest your money in yourself. It will pay off in the long run.

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
50x80 . 3 white guys and a black guy. They maintain the trucks
Lol, okay.
My box is a Snap-On, my previous one was a MAC, to me a Kobalt is great at home, or for a beginner box, and actually they might have one in the lube bay with 7-8 guys using it, but kinda different worlds. If you don’t know what I mean that’s fine, to each his own, but I’ll stick with my Snap-On.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Id agree with the guys saying the dealers have about 50% in on what the boxes sell for.

A few years back our Mac guy was pretty desperate to sell some boxes. I offered him 60% of the "sale" price for a 3 bay upper to match my lower. After a few weeks of him saying he couldnt do it, and me saying no biggie i dont really need it. He agreed, and he ordered the box.

Try getting a killer deal or buy a nice used box. Imo

·
Registered
218 Posts
icon at harbor freight boxes look good
i know
i have all snapon boxes but after 30 years of buying.
these other tools and boxes will work great

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
That came from an ex snapon dealer that was in my biddies shop about 15ys ago. I do remember him saying pretty much everyting chrome was right at 50%.
I retired three years ago after a career as a Snap-On franchise owner so I pretty much know what I'm talking about. Everyday 50% markup on chrome 15 years ago was not happening either.

As previously mentioned, if you work in a shop, and do Snap-On credit, they have some killer rebates from time to time and you can score a box at a real good price.

The Snap-On tool box truck can be a good place to buy a box. The tool box truck managers are notorious for giving product away...as in zero profit for the dealer. Tool box truck+credit rebate can make for a pretty good deal for the customer.

You should get a better deal if you buy something a successful dealer has on the truck or has stashed in his warehouse. If he knows how to shop for deals and run a business he probably have some kind of a deal on a box, although I've heard the deals on boxes haven't been that good lately. See what he has in stock and what kind of a deal he can make you. Remind him that it's a cash deal and you don't necessarily need a receipt. Hit him at 45% off on an in stock box and go from there....hahaha. If it's something that has to be ordered at full list price, you might get 25% off.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Been in the trade for almost 30 years and there’s absolutely no need to spend the money on a snap on toolbox.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts