Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy help me out.

I bought a new snap on ratchet on Ebay and just got it yesterday. IT's the 13.5 long 3/8 with swivel head. It has the padded hanndle and the 80 click bullshit. I think the part number is FLHxxx80 or something.

My question is with the way the head swivels.

This one is like real tight when the head is straight and if you put alot of pressure on it you can bend it to either down (angled) position. so it's stiff in the middle and loose at the far ends.

I'm just wondering if this is the way there suppose to be. I have some craftsman ratchets that feel a bit different. this one may be fine but i just assumes it would click or have settings or something.

Anyone have this?

·
Registered
286 Posts
snapon ratchets will be different that craftsman by leaps and bounds, does your ratchet have a hex screw at the pivot point on the ratchet? you could adjust the tension there

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
doesn't have any clicks. just swivels. that ratchet is junk. don't worry i own one. its great if you use it for what its rated for. problem is how many times do you know how much force its going to take to loosen something? i gave up on it after having my snap on guy fixing the head repeatedly after it snapped those little teeth off. it just sits in my box collecting dust.

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I bought it used from ebay. The vendor was a pawn shop so it probably belongs to one of you guys but you havn't noticed it's gone yet.

There is a set screw and I actually realized it could be for tension while I was posting. I bought thias ratchet because while the standard Craftsman sockets work fine for the light stuff I do I wanted a decent ratchet with a longer handle. This one was $100 shipped. I bought a house with no garage so I am filling a rolling tool bag with some decent stuff to bring out to the car and get some work done.

I also bought the long handle swiveling ratchet wrenches from blue point. they have a soft grip handle kind of like a ratchet with a closed wrench end on it. Those were like $200.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
I have the same one, and I fucking hate it!!

snap-on said I get dirt in it and that's why it does not hold.-

BS, its a piece of shit design, I need to trade mine in to Matco.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Been a mechanic for 30 yrs and snap on has the worst ratchets ever. Get some pressure on them and when bolt breaks the ratchet changes direction, or just strips the pawl.

Best ones ever made were old proto ones. My favorite swivel one ever was a champion spark plug ratchet, it was oh so smooth.

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The good news is i'm an amateur mechanic at best. I only do light work on my own car. ( when it needs it) It's mostly R+R of top end parts. Ex. accessrys, intake, fuel systems...etc.

·
Creepy Ass Cracka
5,801 Posts
I have that same ratchet. Warrantied it 3 or 4 times for the ears around the ratchet head breaking. Its nice that it is long, but I prefer my Matcos. Trust me, the head will loosen up. A LOT :mad:

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
If it's an 80 tooth do not use it to break bolts loose, you'll strip it for sure.

I have had a Snap On dealer take ratchets away from me because I stripped them out so often.:ANAL:

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Perhaps it's the wrong tool for the job!...

Maybe you guys should use 1/2" stuff.............. IF it's THAT tight!... :smt102

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Its not that tight just crap tool.

Other issue with snap on is when you "palm" it to speed things up it skips because the lever is the pawl and having your hand on it makes it malfunction. Poor design.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Use it, it will losen up, and more than likely you will have to tighten it up after a few years of use, especially after you throw it in the shop a few times. Mine exactly like that was so fuckin tight that only after it was dropped, or really used would it move, now after aboout 4 years i recently tightened it up. Youre useing a good ratchet not some outsourced chinese shit box of a craftsman ratchet. Ive gutted dozzens of craftsman ratchets both 3/8 and 1/2" stuff.

I have to ask ya is this your first snapon tool purchase?

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WTF? I was so excited about getting this thing. It took me a year to pull the trigger! I fucking hate you guys!

anyway, thanks for the advise!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ive been wrenching a long time too now, Like close to 15years. I have to agree with guys on here, I like the Matco stuff also, but I recently bought a 70 tooth ratchet from NAPA and its an awesome piece. Accually Ive bought a few NAPA tools for my personal shop at nights, Ive put some serious torque on the 70 tooth one, and its still great. I have a 1/4" snap on thats been junk since day one, but Ive used it enough that its freeing up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The 80 tooth is a dual pawl, they are strong. I have hundereds of them out there and repair maybe 2-3 a month and its always for abuse.

The design of the 80 tooth ratchets keep them from reversing as well. Pretty much every other ratchet out there is a copy of one of the older snapon designs anymore. The matco and MAC stuff is made over seas and has gone to shit.

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Use it, it will losen up, and more than likely you will have to tighten it up after a few years of use, especially after you throw it in the shop a few times. Mine exactly like that was so fuckin tight that only after it was dropped, or really used would it move, now after aboout 4 years i recently tightened it up. Youre useing a good ratchet not some outsourced chinese shit box of a craftsman ratchet. Ive gutted dozzens of craftsman ratchets both 3/8 and 1/2" stuff.

I have to ask ya is this your first snapon tool purchase?

Thanks for the insight. Honestly, i'm not a real mechanic at all. I wrench on my stuff because I just don't feel like dealing with or relying on other people. I do pretty basic R&R stuff and I only do it once or twice a year. Other than that evrything remains in working condition. so this tool won't see to much use after the headgasket i'm doing right now.

I have your typical craftsman tools and I do have an old snap on 3/8 ratchet. My brother is a pretty serious mechanic and he helped build my old T-type. I got to using his tool and loved the ratchet and long handle ratcheting wrenches. I basically wanted the same items he uses.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts