Yellow Bullet Forums banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hell, in my opinion the only good snake is a dead snake, but they do make cool hat bands.

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
I got home from work one day and my two cats were harassing this thing in my back yard... It was rattling up a storm and the dumb cats had no clue.

(yes, it's dead in that pic)

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Not a red rat snake - a Black Rat Snake (Pantherophis obsoletus). Probably the most common large snake in the NE and midwest. Great rodent eaters, but they take a lot of birds and bird eggs, too. They get big - a friend of mine found a seven-footer (of the Texas subspecies) near downtown Austin, TX. The ones like in your photo are usually pretty decent tempered - the ones here in Texas are mean phuckers. Red Rats (Corn Snakes) are lots redder - really pretty animals. Probably the most popular US snake in the hobby industry.

I've been collecting and keeping snakes for about 45 years. No expert but I've learned a few things about them along the way. Here's an Eastern Diamondback I've had for about five years. She's up to about five feet now and has developed a really pissy attitude in the last year or so.

Some of my cages at home (in the snake room) - got about 35 snakes now, though I've had over 100 at times. Takes too damn much time cleaning all the cages when the collection gets out of hand like that.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
We have alot of black snakes around here. I never kill them. One time i had to move one out of my front yard and i din't get close enough to the head. When i picked it up, it turned around and clamped on my thumb.... Man that was some kind of pain!!!! It felt like hulk hogan clamped a pair of vise grips onto my thumb... I remembered how to squeeze them at the jaw to release it. I didn't even kill that one.

Keith

·
Registered
889 Posts
I bought my first house in march and the first day there this is what I find...

There was a hole about half dollar size in the sheet rock in garage and thats what he came out of. I was ripping up carpet in the garage with a scraper and my knee jerk reaction was to whack his head but I should have just let him go since I found a few mice later and Im guessing thats why he was there.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I bought my first house in march and the first day there this is what I find...

There was a hole about half dollar size in the sheet rock in garage and thats what he came out of. I was ripping up carpet in the garage with a scraper and my knee jerk reaction was to whack his head but I should have just let him go since I found a few mice later and Im guessing thats why he was there.
What part of Texas are you located? That looks like a Baird's Rat Snake, found from just west of Austin on out to the Big Bend area. I've got a couple of them that I collected out south of Alpine. If you're east of the middle of the state, it's not a Baird's and then it's something kinda unusual.

·
Registered
889 Posts
What part of Texas are you located? That looks like a Baird's Rat Snake, found from just west of Austin on out to the Big Bend area. I've got a couple of them that I collected out south of Alpine. If you're east of the middle of the state, it's not a Baird's and then it's something kinda unusual.
Just south of Fort Worth

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
That really is unusual, then. About all it could be, unless it's a released captive, is a Great Plains Rat Snake, but I've never seen one that color. I almost wanna say it's a Corn Snake the got away from someone. Mind if I post your pics on the snake hunting forum I hang out on? That's a really unusual snake you've got there.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That really is unusual, then. About all it could be, unless it's a released captive, is a Great Plains Rat Snake, but I've never seen one that color. I almost wanna say it's a Corn Snake the got away from someone. Mind if I post your pics on the snake hunting forum I hang out on? That's a really unusual snake you've got there.
Go ahead and let me know what they say. I thought it was a rat snake and tried to look it up but I couldnt find anything that resembled that.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Go ahead and let me know what they say. I thought it was a rat snake and tried to look it up but I couldnt find anything that resembled that.
I just posted it......should be getting some responses pretty quick. It's definitely a rat snake - no doubt about that, based on head shape, body shape and overall size. There's only two rat snakes where you are - Great Plains and Texas Rat. It's definitely not a Texas Rat, and I've never seen a Great Plains even close to that color.....plus, that pattern's all wrong for a GP. So it's about got to be an escaped captive.....either Baird's or Corn.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My young bloke had two red marks on his stomach he said a snake bit him in my shed , come out from under the monaro he reckons not sure haven't seen anything but the cat did bring a baby dugite in the house a while ago so it could be true he is 3 so who knows, might have to have a closer look after seeing this .

41 - 60 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.