Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You see some cities/states banning smoking in public....I agree that smoking is bad for you.....but to tell a Private Property owner (ie Bar/Resturant Owner) what they can/can't do with their business is wrong.
You must look at the big picture here.....if this works what do we do when the Tree Huggin Liberals ban beef from Mickey D's/Ice Cream at Dairy Queen.....its not what you see now.....its the presidense it sets.

Now if Cigarettes are so bad(we know they are)Why don't we ban the sale of them?? Right...the money made on taxing them......Does this make the states guilty of contributing to killing their residents? Should states be included in the tobacco company settlements?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
1st off. I think that resturants should have a separate smoking section. But that should be up to the business owner , not government
As for tobacco settlements. I think they are nothing but a cash cow for government.
No person should have the right to sue a tobacco company in the first place. They didn't hold you down and force you to smoke. You as an individual made the decision to smoke and you as an individual should be accountable for that decision.

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The states accually make more on the cigarettes then the tobaco companies :roll: ....they need the income

·
JustSayin' CyberWarFare
3,326 Posts

·
Registered
15,599 Posts
I'm still confused about all of this. The govt. says you can't smoke in public places, they tax the shit out of cigarettes, and they have programs to help you quit. I've enen heard of laws in a state, which I can't remember right now, where you can't smoke inside of your vehicle while children are present. I get not smoking around children, but to make it a law?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The laws in question protect people who do not smoke and do not wish to be exposed to it. End of story. It's pretty simple.

You don't have the right to endanger other peoples health so that you can have a smoke wherever you want to. And as for the laws against smoking around kids, I wish that was a law everywhere. It's common sense and if you feel it's ok to endanger your own children or anyone else's so that you can smoke, then you are a shitty person.

·
Registered
18,877 Posts
You see some cities/states banning smoking in public....I agree that smoking is bad for you.....but to tell a Private Property owner (ie Bar/Resturant Owner) what they can/can't do with their business is wrong.
You must look at the big picture here.....if this works what do we do when the Tree Huggin Liberals ban beef from Mickey D's/Ice Cream at Dairy Queen.....its not what you see now.....its the presidense it sets.

Now if Cigarettes are so bad(we know they are)Why don't we ban the sale of them?? Right...the money made on taxing them......Does this make the states guilty of contributing to killing their residents? Should states be included in the tobacco company settlements?
Wow You hit the nail on the head on this one, The thing is not only do states get tax money they also are getting money from the law suits so they are getting it from both sides it's a win win for the states.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The laws in question protect people who do not smoke and do not wish to be exposed to it. End of story. It's pretty simple.

You don't have the right to endanger other peoples health so that you can have a smoke wherever you want to. And as for the laws against smoking around kids, I wish that was a law everywhere. It's common sense and if you feel it's ok to endanger your own children or anyone else's so that you can smoke, then you are a shitty person.
X 1000 !!!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Because people are too fuckin stupid. We live in a country of people who have no common sense. Law suits get filed for the most mundane reasons, and most times win. Think about it we need warning labels for the most idiotic things, "Warning, Coffee is HOT", "Do not use toaster in bathtub full of water.", "When using cruise control, driver must remain in driver's seat.", etc... As for smoking, it seems as though the state is just covering it's ass. If they just ban smoking in public all together then they are basically in the clear. Lawyers will go after who has the most cash, alot of the times it is the state. "Your honor, my client is suing the state of Hawaii for not having warning signs posted on the beach stating; "If you are on your monthly period, have a large cut, or have any blood residue on your body; You must not enter the ocean. Sharks tend to follow the scent of the blood source. Loss of limb/s or life may occur." And yes, I recall a shark attack on a female tourist who was on her monthly ordeal but decided to go snorkelling anyway.

Again, people are stupid. For a site like this, fixing up your car to go faster will be illegal in the future. Riding motorcycles will be illegal. IMO it will be pussified, everyone will have to wear multiple layers of bubble wrap to be safe.

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts

Yet it's ok for you to kill us with your car exahust.

Small list of what your emitting-

Carbon Monoxide
Nitrogen dioxide
Sulphur dioxide
Suspended particles, PM-10 particles less than 10 microns in size.
Benzene
Formaldehyde
Polycyclic hydrocarbons

Thanks for spreading even more cancer around,,,TLW

·
Registered
18,877 Posts

Second hand smoke has been proven not to effect people as was first though. Also smoking does not lead to cancer as you have cancer cells in your body as does everyone it is just what activates the cancer in some people. You talk about rights what about the smokers rights how is it that your belief trumps theirs to smoke. I'm sure your drinking habit bithers some people or your car habit as well. Common sense is that you don't take away someone else's right to satisfy your. That is from a guy who grew up in a house hold where everyone 4 people smoked I never did or have and have no health problems either but based on family history I have a greater chance of dieing from cancer then brother or sister since both parents died from natural causes. Personal story for you, My grand mother never smoked a day in her life died of terminal cancer at 60, Her two sisters smoked from age 12 one got empazima in her lat 50's lived to be 68, her other sister smoked camel cigerettes about a pack or more a day lived to be 70 died of natural causes in her chair with a cigarette in her mouth.

·
Registered
452 Posts
its not that hard to install electronic air cleaners in a bar or anywhere for that matter where people are smoking and have the air you are breathing cleaner than if no one was smoking at all. they are nick named "smoke eater".

·
Registered
471 Posts
The following is from a .gov site: after a 20 year conclusive study, the following are the results: Cigarette smoking causes many types of cancer, including cancers of the lung, esophagus, larynx (voice box), mouth, throat, kidney, bladder, pancreas, stomach, and cervix, as well as acute myeloid leukemia. ENOUGH SAID?

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I always laugh at the smoking ban in bars.
Hey Tony where ya going? I'm goin' to the bar to get healthy.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Wow.

All the points made for the "we should be able to smoke inside" are from smokers I bet.

Having a non smoking section in a restaurant is like having a 'NO PISSING' section in a pool.

For no more reason than this? IT FUCKING STINKS. If I go for dinner or to a bar, I don't want to smell like a fucking ashtray when I'm done.

FOR THE RECORD:

I used to smoke, but I did not often smoke in public where it could piss someone off. In my car, in my house, in the designated smoking area at my shop.

If I want to smell like a fucking ashcan, that's my business. Someone else doesn't get to make that decision for me.

We've had indoor smoking bans in Ontario for 15+ years now.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Can't smoke in bars here, so it's a non issue.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts