Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Smokers Get Preferential Treatment?

• Fuck smokers! They get a pass and it's not fair.

Votes: 90 61.6%
  • What's wrong with smoking as long as the production is up?

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Non-smokers are making a big deal over nothing. Light up, chill out.

Votes: 21 14.4%
  • Less smoking talk and more boobie talk! (Smoking makes boobs all nasty in time, though.

Votes: 15 10.3%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Preface - I don't smoke, and that probably has some impact on the way I manage my folks here at the office.

Some of the people that work for me on my team smoke. They believe that they are entitled to a smoke break (multiple smoke breaks, actually, as many as six per day at about 15 to 20 minutes per), and then they want other breaks, too. I've been advised by upper management that I can't come down on them too hard, which makes my non-smoking team resentful because they don't really take "scheduled breaks" and are at their desks far more than the smokers.

This smoker versus the non-smoker thing has been hashed and re-hashed, but I'm hashing it again. Gimme your thoughts.

·
LSx The World
4,035 Posts
speak of the devil
Im working with a heavy smoker today & when he smokes I break too & the boss is right out there with him
I said that I was gonna buy a pack of smokes & take a break every hour too

·
Registered
256 Posts
I smoke and I take about 4 breaks a day to have a smoke. Twice in the morning before lunch and twice after lunch. Only takes me a max of 5 mins to have a smoke and get back into the office. 6 times a day with other breaks inbetween is ridiculous.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I smoke and voted fuck smokers! For me while at work it's 1 before lunch(my time at break), 1 at lunch(my time), 1 between lunch and end of day(company time, try to tie it in with something productive like a piss break). Any time you stop and restart work eats up time. I'm no "company man", but I do feel some smokers take advantage.

·
LSx The World
4,035 Posts
the guy im working with took 5 already its only 10 we start at 7

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's complete bullshit. I smoke and I have one on normals breaks, just a couple a day. I work for myself by the way. I do remember back when I was working in a very large office furniture shop there were groups of smokers that would take 6 breaks a night to have a smoke. I never went with them, no one needs that many breaks or cigarettes to be able to work.

·
Registered
29,025 Posts
Where's the "FUCK non smokers"?

My crews are outside 80% of the time, they can smoke as often as needed. Office enviroment probably causes more bickering. The non smokers should go outside after the smokers come in to get fresh air then to make it fair, I guess...

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Don't smoke, but I do notice all the smokers believing it's there right to go out numerous times a day to smoke. It pisses me off. Not to mention they think they
can fill up the dept cars with ashes, and the lingering smell in the cars.

·
Stackin' plates
13,859 Posts

My crews are outside 80% of the time, they can smoke as often as needed. Office enviroment probably causes more bickering. The non smokers should go outside after the smokers come in to get fresh air then to make it fair, I guess...

Sounds like a solution to me....pretty clever from a poncho guy:p

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Fair enough. If you can do your job at with a cancer stick hanging out of your mouth, then get on it. I am talking about an office environment, so that was an oversight on my part. That said, I don't think non-smokers care if a smoker who is smoking is still doing his job while he smokes, so that technically wouldn't be break.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,412 Posts
Preface - I don't smoke, and that probably has some impact on the way I manage my folks here at the office.

Some of the people that work for me on my team smoke. They believe that they are entitled to a smoke break (multiple smoke breaks, actually, as many as six per day at about 15 to 20 minutes per), and then they want other breaks, too. I've been advised by upper management that I can't come down on them too hard, which makes my non-smoking team resentful because they don't really take "scheduled breaks" and are at their desks far more than the smokers.

This smoker versus the non-smoker thing has been hashed and re-hashed, but I'm hashing it again. Gimme your thoughts.
I worked at a shop a few years ago where a few co-workers would take 10-15 10 minute smoke breaks a day. To make a point to the owner how wastefull it was i'd take a "fresh air" break everytime they would stop and smoke. At this point he'd have 4-5 guys in a circle smoking, 1 guy sucking in fresh air and one old school non smoker working at a snail pace. The owner, who was a non smoker, had a big problem with my fresh air breaks and said the smokers needed to stop to smoke, i didn't need to stop for fresh air.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts