Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Former RJ instigator
41,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my wife has been in the hosptial and I don't feel much like cooking my neighbor brought me some food, check out this slow smoked ribeye steak, taters, black eyed peas and Ripley tomatoes.

I was appreciative and it was good but I'd much rather have a flash grilled steak or pan seared.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I cold smoke steaks all the time. Gives them a unique flavor and you still get the grill sear. Season and cold smoke for an hour then grill like normal.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,104 Posts
how long do you smoke it for ?

i got a pitt boss pellet grill last week and just did NY strips tonight, they where about 1" thick put on the smoke setting grill temp was 190 smoked for about 40 mins till they where 125-128 and then i turned up the grill and finished over direct fire to get them around 130. pretty darn good, 1st time smoking steaks, and 1st time i ever cooked NY strips, typically we just buy a rib eyes or filets. but the local butcher had USDA black angus ny strips on sale for 4.99 lb so i got a loin

·
Former RJ instigator
41,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

i got a pitt boss pellet grill last week and just did NY strips tonight, they where about 1" thick put on the smoke setting grill temp was 190 smoked for about 40 mins till they where 125-128 and then i turned up the grill and finished over direct fire to get them around 130. pretty darn good, 1st time smoking steaks, and 1st time i ever cooked NY strips, typically we just buy a rib eyes or filets. but the local butcher had USDA black angus ny strips on sale for 4.99 lb so i got a loin
I didn't cook them, but my neighbor said he smoked them for over 2 hours.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

If that was directed to me I cold smoke them for 1 hour then grill.

Reactions: 225digger

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,104 Posts
If that was directed to me I cold smoke them for 1 hour then grill.
directed to both you guys..... i did some filet's the other night.... fucking amazing taste, smoked for 45ish mins then finished off on a hot flame........ a few yrs ago i scoffed at these pellet grills, i like my lump charcoal and souse vide cooking of steaks. but this thing is amazing. mainly becuase its not a pain in the ass to use. turn it on, set temp and walk away. my bradley smoker was pretty fool proof but it could never get more than 225-250.... the pitt boss you can low smoke at 180, turn the knob to 450 and it goes there in a matter of 5 mins.

·
Former RJ instigator
41,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
directed to both you guys..... i did some filet's the other night.... fucking amazing taste, smoked for 45ish mins then finished off on a hot flame........ a few yrs ago i scoffed at these pellet grills, i like my lump charcoal and souse vide cooking of steaks. but this thing is amazing. mainly becuase its not a pain in the ass to use. turn it on, set temp and walk away. my bradley smoker was pretty fool proof but it could never get more than 225-250.... the pitt boss you can low smoke at 180, turn the knob to 450 and it goes there in a matter of 5 mins.
So basically you reversed seared it. (y)

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,104 Posts
So basically you reversed seared it. (y)
if done reverse sear plenty of times in the oven then grill..... and in a way sousvide is similiar with it cooking in water and then finish on the grill

but the low temp smoke adds alot more to it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Ribeyes

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts