Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have real wieght difference with the Smith Racecraft front end for a Gen 1 Camaro. Already have strange brakes and Tubular A arms. Looking for the wieght difference from a Smith chromoly front stub to the factory one.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I think I read somewhere that from a completly stock front end to one of their complete round tube front ends with their a-arms and everything it was around 150 pounds. You can call them. They are very easy to talk too.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have a smith moly sub with extra engine clearense ... if I remember correctly my factory one with the cradle cut out(replaced with moly tube) and frame horns cut off weighed in around 112lbs,..... I believe it was like 128lbs stock, my smith with out the j-bars/strut bars was like 54lbs and so much nicer than the GM sub that I'm sure of a drunk blind man with one arm and 3 fingers and a almost empty bottle of bimix75/25 welded up at the factory.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on. Thanks for the info. Did you notice a better launch or handling with the smith front end?

·
Registered
967 Posts
We switched and loved it, only complaint is did not use there motor plates and with the motor location had to cut on the pan. This is with there widest frame available just had to notch front of pan to clear front main cap by a 1/8'' to be able to remove pan in the car. Not sure on weight savings we did a lot of things at one time. Well worth it just for the room up front if anything.

KG

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had a fairly chopped up front subframe with trz arms and factory spindles and all we changed was the actual subframe and saved about 75# with everything else the same

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
theres no time to get a sub frame in a camaro before SCSN :-Yap
You guys are going to run out of luck injecting that Nitro into that turbo motor.... :smt103

1 - 12 of 12 Posts