Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have reoccurring training every two years at work...

I was traveling down the interstate when a large aluminum outrigger pad for a crane truck came bunching off the truck and down the road. Because I was following at least 5 seconds back like I always do (and get honked at and the finger) I was able to avoid this damn thing from coming through my windshield and taking my head off. Shit scared me.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Ha, the Smith system helped me get a job when during an interview with a trucking co. I drove the mgmt team to lunch. I pulled thru a parking spot so I would not have to back out, and when they asked me why I explained that the best way to prevent a backing accident was to not have to back up. This lead to a discussion of the Smith System and helped get me the job. We put every employee through it, even the payroll dept.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
You created your own luck. Thankfully you didn't get an aluminum set of braces. I would have rode up next to you and gave you the finger. I would have pointed the finger down towards my crotch to let you know I just pissed myself.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
We have reoccurring training every two years at work...

I was traveling down the interstate when a large aluminum outrigger pad for a crane truck came bunching off the truck and down the road. Because I was following at least 5 seconds back like I always do (and get honked at and the finger) I was able to avoid this damn thing from coming through my windshield and taking my head off. Shit scared me.
I am a former driver trainer, mostly trucks but also cars from time to time, all post licence, so training experienced drivers not novices

The Smith System was taught here a few years ago, but I think it has gone out of favour, most new driver trainers would have never heard of it, we also used to teach to the 'Hendon System' from England, if you combine both you will be a very safe driver

http://linux.gatewaybbs.com.au/~dta/hendon.html

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
If you worked at bellsouth you had a mandatory manager ride along after taking the smith class. It damn sure made me more alert when driving, I wish every kid had to pass it before they got their license....

·
Registered
17,430 Posts
I used to be Smith Driving System certified, I have yet to meet someone who has any fucking idea what that means :)

Sean
Mrs. Smith knows all about it.....

·
Registered
769 Posts
The company I work for trained us in this a about 5 years ago it definitely helps.. UPS and a lot of the bigger carriers use this also so I'm told.

·
Banned
18,012 Posts
PM GT350....................................I'm sure he wrote the shit!... :smt102
Nah... he didn't write it. He disagrees with all of it and has a better way... He'll be along shortly to tell us.

·
Jack Stand Racer
6,463 Posts
We get recertified every year at my job.... Remember to aim high, always have a out.... Lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts