Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I have one. Liked it enough to buy my mom one. Both in stainless. Mine has no locks.
Currently $364 at Bud's.
I believe mine is a 638 hers 642.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
J frame is my every day carry.
With +P hollow points, enough knock down power to get the job done.
Small enough to go anywhere, even fits in the back pocket of my jeans with no holster.
Surprisingly loud. Go shoot one before making that choice.
May send mine out to get the barrell ported.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I think the 638 is the 642 without the trigger lock. They are light enough that I can put it in my shorts pocket while in the garage. Most guns will pull a pair of shorts down. If you put it in a pocket holster it doesn't print any any more than a cellphone or wallet. It's also fairly accurate.

·
Senor Frog
8,949 Posts
I think the 638 is the 642 without the trigger lock. They are light enough that I can put it in my shorts pocket while in the garage. Most guns will pull a pair of shorts down. If you put it in a pocket holster it doesn't print any any more than a cellphone or wallet. It's also fairly accurate.
nope.....a 442 (blued)and a 642 (stainless)are the same,all come with locks nowa days but a year or so ago S&W made 5000 of each special run as a NO LOCK model and I grabbed one,see pic above---the 638 which IMO is uglier has a little tiny hammer that u can see move,it is just 95% covered - I dont see the reason for the model but what ever and then you have a a few other models with and with out hammers that even confuse me

Big selection,loads to choose from...too many IMO

For CCW any Airweight will be a good choice,just pick your flavor

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might be wrong but I think the 638 could be shot as single action with the little hammer exposed. I could be wrong, I'm tired of waiting for my 2 642's,Phucking california bullshit been over 20 days.

·
Registered
297 Posts
nope.....a 442 (blued)and a 642 (stainless)are the same,all come with locks nowa days but a year or so ago S&W made 5000 of each special run as a NO LOCK model and I grabbed one,see pic above---the 638 which IMO is uglier has a little tiny hammer that u can see move,it is just 95% covered - I dont see the reason for the model but what ever and then you have a a few other models with and with out hammers that even confuse me

Big selection,loads to choose from...too many IMO

For CCW any Airweight will be a good choice,just pick your flavor
The 638 has a shrouded hammer like you said. The point of it is to allow someone to shoot the gun single action when you pull it back for target shooting but still make it hard to grab onto so it doesn't get caught on clothing or pulling it out of your pocket. The 638 is defiantly an ugly gun but it does serve the purpose. I personally like the 637 which has the exposed hammer but I don't know if it would be a very good pocket/carry gun.

·
Senor Frog
8,949 Posts
The 638 has a shrouded hammer like you said. The point of it is to allow someone to shoot the gun single action when you pull it back for target shooting but still make it hard to grab onto so it doesn't get caught on clothing or pulling it out of your pocket. The 638 is defiantly an ugly gun but it does serve the purpose. I personally like the 637 which has the exposed hammer but I don't know if it would be a very good pocket/carry gun.
Shrouded.......Thats the word I was looking for...never understood the design myself
but then again I never understood a lemon squeezer either -another one to make u confused

·
draggin' ass
13,417 Posts
Not quite the same but very similar. I have had this for a while now and it has served me quite well.

·
In Glock I Trust
6,655 Posts
Dude sold 2 of em on American Guns last night for 2 grand....lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts