Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Ask me about my Weiner!..
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm going to turn into one of those.. I've got to rant like a mo-fo...

You know the type, a guy that you know that seems to be a complete idiot, but once ya start to figure him out, you see that he's really a intelligent person, but chooses to be "stupid"..

I'm figuring out why that is now..

Starting Monday, I'm nothing more than a grease monkey. I'm going to turn wrenchs, do my thing, and thats it.

What does a company do, when their go to guy for everything, all the sudden becomes a dumbass? They already think I'm a dumbass, but what they think, and what actually happens are 2 different things..

I've spent the past 2 weeks redoing the entire computer setup in the office... Think about this, everything they do now is on computers running Windows 98, the accounting programs are Dos. Everything is done on paper.. Then picture a setup where everyone has a work station, electronic invoicing. Fucking bar code scanners for parts. The books, all electronic.. Off site backup's.. New printers, new fax machines, scanners. Completely new network. I've set every computer up so that each user has all the info needed to do their jobs faster and better... Tech's have all the service manuals, all the diagnosic programs right at their finger tips. The parts guys have parts look up programs, parts PDF files, right there in front of them. The office people... Etc etc... Needless to say, I've BUSTED my ass on it. Not only have I been doing everything required of me ( my job, turning wrenches, dealing with customers ), but I've done all of this.. When not as work, I was putting computers together, getting them setup.. I spent all night last night at the shop taking the old equipment out, and setting up all the new stuff..

I get 2 days away from all of this coming to life... And it's FUCKED up because the boss doesnt listen to what the fuck I've said for the past 2 weeks, and goes deer hunting. The company I hired to do the data conversion, they charge 2 grand for the conversion and software setup.. I had it setup so that TODAY they could talk with the boss man about the way he needed things setup... A few hrs on the phone was all it required, and I set it up so that it was today simply because he doesnt have time during the week. I would then get the new files Sunday, get it in the system. Give it all a test run, button things up, then rock and roll Monday..... Every bit of effort, fucked up, over deer hunting... 2 fuckin weeks of my time, most of it I wont get paid for, fucked up over fucking deer hunting.. Yeah, like I didnt have plans the past 2 weeks..

That 2 grand for the data conversion, once we go back to the old system and start entering stuff in, that 2K is out the fuckin window.. They have no choice but to use the old system, they havnt posted shit in 3 days.

The boss man, says he didnt know, even though I've been hammering it in his head that I need him there Saturday. He seems to think that we can use the old system, while the new one is being setup.. Maybe if our old stuff was more current, but going from something so old, to something so new, it's out of the question. I've told everyone concerned that fact....

What throws salt in the wound, my day today was supposed to be focused on the computer crap. I was going to sleep in today because I've had no sleep for the past week, my eyes are blood shot, huge black bags under my eye's.. I get called at 9am into work. I got fuckin slammed, the shop was full, the back lot was full, the phone was ringing off the wall. No lunch, no nothing. I got home at 8 tonight. I couldnt get ahold of a single employee.. I was totally on my own... The boss man called me a while ago, asked if the computer setup was done.. I bite my tounge from telling him to go fuck his self, told him what all went on... He says " Well, I didnt know"..

I'm so fuckin pissed right now I cant see straight... Cant breath, my left arm has gone numb.. I've been pissed off and stressed to the max before, but I think this put it well over the limit.

So tomorrow, I'm going in, I'm piling all the new shit in a corner. Setting the old shit back up, and wiping my hands.. Monday I will become a mechanic, who needs someone to hold his hand in everything he does...

Ok, rant over.. Well not really, I'm gonna get fuckin drunk, chain smoke, and just get shitty... I havnt smoked in 2 weeks ( yeah I did all of this while trying to quit smoking ), havnt drank in several yrs... I figure, fuck it, this is what a lot of 8 to 5'ers do, I might as well join in right?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Go for it. I have broke my back and stopped my life to many times for people who could care less. When they start questioning you about whats going on take them back to this day and tell them you might have suffered a small stroke.

·
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LMFAO!!! Yeah, he got a deer......

I'd have no problems finding another job, I get offers all the time... But this is a different deal, I cant really just up and leave this one... I wont get fired ( they couldnt run it for a week if they did )..

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
If the boss isn't interested in your improvements to HIS business, then I wouldn't even bother setting the old shit back up. Take the day off tomorrow. Sounds like you need it. Fuck it, call in sick all of next week, leave your phone turned off and let them deal with the shit storm. That's what a REAL shit-bag would do. :cool:

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Ya cry us a river, could you post the details of his deer hunting trip for us?:p

·
Grade 8 Motorsports
4,617 Posts
I hear ya man. Sometimes it just isnt worth it to go "the extra mile" for certain companies/people. Now you know to just do the job you were hired for, and fuck the rest. It isnt worth the your stress to make everyone elses life easier. Be selfish for a bit and get your sanity back. Knock a few back and smoke a few cigs. Whatever it takes to get your blood pressure and heart rate back down. Stress will kill ya quicker than the booze and cigs will!

·
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go for it. I have broke my back and stopped my life to many times for people who could care less. When they start questioning you about whats going on take them back to this day and tell them you might have suffered a small stroke.

I honestly do wonder WTF is up with the arm.. Started about the time I thought the top of my head was going to blow off. I'm no puss, I cant put up with a lot of shit, I've put up with a lot of shit the past few yrs.. Today though was just over the top.. I honestly cant remember ever being that pissed off before. My whole body just went limp when it started to sink in.

I do intend to take the day off tomorrow actually.. I'm gonna go deer huntin.. Monday, the shit storm will be a brewin when nothing fuckin works. Thats exactly the point though, trying to improve the company, make things go smoother ( because right now it's a cluster fuck ).. If it wasnt clear before, it certainly is now, I know why it's a cluster fuck... The boss man wants to do everything on his own, thinks he can do everything his self.. What drives me nuts is he obviously doesnt want to improve... When I end up going to work at 3am, most of the time I have no clue if the customer is cash or credit.. So that typically leads to calling the boss man up to ask, then being treated like I should know.. Or if they are cash, but get a discount, I have no clue. Over 100 customers in the system, many more are not in the system. Over 12,000 part numbers. You have warranty, then what warranty will cover after hrs and what it wont.. It's nothing but a mess, every thing is "stored" in his head... As big as this business is, you cant do that..

As it is right now, they CANT operate with the old shit... Even something as simple as a service bulitin ( sp? dont care to "speel" it right ), they cant open them with their computers, and the programs to do it, wont fucking run on Windows 98... Thats 1 reason my laptops are there...

Here's the worst part, the boss man is my damn dad.. On paper, I'm half owner, in practice I'm nothing.. Thats why I bust my ass, trying to "man" up and do whats needed. But it's to the point that I'm the only one trying to " save a sinking ship "... I honestly dont know if he just doesnt give a fuck anymore ( this line of work is hard, it will wear you down ), or what? When I walk through the office, you have the "office lady with no title" surfing the internet or talking on the cell phone, for some reason not able to answer the company phone. Or the parts guys are chattin while your standing at the counter wanting parts.. Things arnt good, I just cant fuckin make him see that.. I've tried pushing my way in, but I get pushed back out... I've been thinking about moving on the past few yrs, I've passed up some amazing jobs. The pay is WAY better, the hrs are WAY better.. I just cant seem to make that move..

Hell last week I had a guy call me, wanted me to run a performance shop/machine shop.. Tuning, dyno's, having the chance to go all over the country racing... I turned it down. The same guy has been trying to get his hands on me for a long time.. But it's hard to drop a career for something uncertain, plus turning your back on family... I'm no dumbass, I have many talents and I'm damned good at what ever I focus on doing.. But ya put so much into something for so long, you cant imagine turning your back on it.. I kinda know what the end result may be though, I have health issues to begin with, then today the physical effects.. Just dont know...

·
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Details of the hunting trip.....

It was getting dark, he just got off the phone with a company that had some broken shit. He was about to call me and give me the heads up they were coming...

5 doe's came walking up.. He picked the biggest one, and popped her... Those were really all the details I could listen to.. I really wasnt in the mood :p

I've only been to the lease a few times this yr ( imagine that ), everything I've seen looked like dogs.. Tiny deer.. After seeing what was running around, I decided I'd just wait till next yr, let those little guys grow up another yr.. They certainly arnt any animals I'd risk company operation for...

Managed to get one beer down... Holy crap, when you havnt drank in several yrs, 1 beer will mess ya up... 5 more to go :supz:

·
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear ya man. Sometimes it just isnt worth it to go "the extra mile" for certain companies/people. Now you know to just do the job you were hired for, and fuck the rest. It isnt worth the your stress to make everyone elses life easier. Be selfish for a bit and get your sanity back. Knock a few back and smoke a few cigs. Whatever it takes to get your blood pressure and heart rate back down. Stress will kill ya quicker than the booze and cigs will!

I like that idea... Be selfish for a while..... Cant say I've ever done that.. Always put everything and everyone else in front of my needs.. Not a bad idea at all, I think I'll take that advice..

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
dude you just wrote a book ...ok now im going to read it all .... give me 30 min.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Maybe you should have the "big talk" You know, either let me be part of managing the business or buy my half out. Maybe that will wake him up, maybe not. I have worked for family and been in your situation. I COMPLETELY understand where your coming from. It's very hard to leave something you have sunk so much time and effort into. Good luck, I know it's hard to walk away, but sometimes you have to for your own health and well being.

If that doesn't work go back to just being a grease monkey and see how that works out for them. Oh and only do the 9-5 thing, noooooo extra ass busting for awhile. Like Sarah Palin would say to him after you stop killing yourself "hows that hopey changey thing working for you"

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
ah colt the arm thing concerns me ...im no doctor, and im sure that if im wrong here i will hear about it .... that is one of the symptoms of a mild heart attack ..... as for the rest of the stuff you know that you are doing a good job and although it is annoying and aggravating ...let it slide and finish the job .... do it right and take pride in what you have accomplished .... the praise will follow when the others get familiar with the new system ...

·
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe you should have the "big talk" You know, either let me be part of managing the business or buy my half out. Maybe that will wake him up, maybe not. I have worked for family and been in your situation. I COMPLETELY understand where your coming from. It's very hard to leave something you have sunk so much time and effort into. Good luck, I know it's hard to walk away, but sometimes you have to for your own health and well being.

Yeah, we had that big talk a while back ( which was more like yelling for 2 hrs, customers and employee's both refused to approach us, we basicly shut that bitch down for a few hrs during this talk ).. It resulted in me leaving.. Within 2 days every employee called me beggin my ass to come back.. Said the place was a wreck.. 2 days later my dad called, asking me to come back. I already had a job lined up, hell I had a job lined up that afternoon I left.. I was on my way out...

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not trashin on my dad... He's a very smart guy, hardest working guy I know.. We get along great, we work together, we tinker with the cars together.. I've got to take a business trip here real soon, and he brought up that I should get the car ready, bring it with me and go race for a few days.. Hell he bought a lift just because he knows I dont have the time to dick with it, and the lift will make it faster..

He's a great man, nobody will tell you otherwise...... But fuck he's hard headed. When it comes to the business side of it, he's hard to deal with. It doesnt help when the CPA is old school, wants paper in his hands, not computer files, etc etc... So it's hard to me to get the point across that this business is too large for that. He calls it a small business... A small business doesnt bring in the amount of work we do.. Not to mention our reputation, we have service engineers calling us for insight. They send stuff that no one else can fix. Our service side of things is booming, we're good at what we do.. The finanical side to things, are jacked up..

The honest truth is, I did all of this because I got tired of him always being at work.. Either working on equipment, or spending hrs on end trying to make sense of the finanical side of things.. I mean hell, he spends 90% of his time at that shop... My whole plan, this whole setup was to enable the employee's, the people we're paying, to do most of this without screwing it up. That means he spends less time at the desk, and more time doing what he wants to do... He knows this, we "talked" about that during our last blowout. I didnt think it was right for him to work all those hrs, while the office people sat around and surfed the net all day long ( I dont blame them, when there's no work to do, ya gotta do something ).. Computers and me just click, I couldnt find a way to help him because only he knows whats going on.. So with the computers setup right, I can help. Which means I'd end up working more in order to help, but hell I've never in my life been afraid of work. But it's very obvious, you get the office people to do their jobs, which means there is less for him to do. My part would have been support of the whole thing, which I can do from home. He could do the "business" shit from home.

All I can figure is that how it is now, is the way he prefers it... I'm done trying to take the load off him and put some of it on my shoulders. He can have all of it he wants, when he's tired of it, he can hire someone. I'm not going to bust my balls anymore.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
my guess is that the business is his whole life and he wants to be there that much .... but he will never say it

·
Registered
6,624 Posts

·
7,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dude you just wrote a book ...ok now im going to read it all .... give me 30 min.

LOL, yeah, I'm bad about that.....

The english language just flat doesnt work for me. The only way I can express anything is to give details.. Just saying I had a hard day at work, doesnt even begin to express how it really is.. I dont bitch about the small things, small things are just that. When I bitch about something, ya know it's a bad deal.. You get some people who bitch about everything, so when you hear someone bitching most just blow it off.. In my case, when I bitch, that means shit has gone bad...

I thought about it a little while ago, how I'd tell the boss man how all of this felt... No words could describe it, but acting it out damn sure would ( and probably make me look insane )...

I'd draw a picture, spend many, many hrs on it.. Then have someone knock it on the floor, step on it, then realize that it belonged to me.. Just wanting to get it out of the way, they shove it off into some corner..

I just dont communicate well I guess, which leads to writing books.. Sorry bout that....

The arm thing, concerns me too. Never experienced anything like that.. I guess at my age that is something I need to be cautious of. But after 3 beers, everything is fuzzy, so it's all good LMAO.. I'm a light weight..

Blownghost68, thats no shit right there... Kinda like a kid having a fit, a nap always fixes it... However, I dont think thats going to do it this time, wish it would.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts