Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the smallest you’d go on a 6.0? Got my turbo car waiting for a track to open so I have time to kill. My truck is looking at me funny. Probably 10-15 psi max, keep it 2 bar.
At what size would a turbo be a restriction? Wimpy cam, decent springs in 317 heads.
it is an LQ9 so should I put compression in the equation?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Kinda depends how much you want to spend. Hard to beat the proven results vs price for the VS 7875 billet gen 2 turbos on something like a mild LQ9. Will spool pretty decent in a truck while still having room to grow if you ever want to crank it up some in the future. Summit's S475s are a real good bargain as well though the exhaust is a little on the large side if you will be running it at lower boost like you say and want quick spool on the street. At higher boost it won't have as much compressor capability as the 7875 Gen 2 but will be less of a restriction on the exhaust side on a 6.0.

Granted don't know if you're looking for something cheaper than those just to screw around with, or wanting higher quality domestic options. But those are pretty good middle of the road options for a street truck IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah sorry I should be a little more specific. I've got a s475 in my car and it's a little bulkier than i'd want to run on the truck. Something small enough to get a more linear feel out of the power band - i'm used to the car going from 0 to 20 psi exponentially and I'd like to get away from that with the truck. Cheap would be nice but its a daily so I'm ok spending a little more if it'll last.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The 7875's have quite a bit smaller footprint than the S475. For the power you want to make, something in the 70mm ballpark for a compressor will be plenty but then it gets a little harder to get one with a turbine that's large enough to not choke up a 6.0

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kind of figured I’d be doomed on turbine housing.
So talk me off this ledge. The truck is an 85 c1500 that was a diesel, so California is oblivious. I put a suburban 31 gal tank in and removed the saddle tanks. Twin s366’s where the tanks were and have the wastegates dump out the fuel doors.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
How much power and how cheap? The gt45 knockoffs aren’t the best at anything but they are cheaper than actual dirt. And they tend to work. Not over the top.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let's say 500 wheel for 1k bottom line. Including pump(s), map sensor, fuel line/fittings and tubing/couplers. I need new injectors in the car so those are hand-me-down to the truck.

Then another 1k for a transmission.

Any chance of still running my MAF? My SD tune in the car is very streetable, but it ain't no MAF tune.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Let's say 500 wheel for 1k bottom line. Including pump(s), map sensor, fuel line/fittings and tubing/couplers. I need new injectors in the car so those are hand-me-down to the truck.

Then another 1k for a transmission.

Any chance of still running my MAF? My SD tune in the car is very streetable, but it ain't no MAF tune.
If you want to keep it that cheap, the gt45 is going to be the winner. You'll hit your 500 rwhp and keep the turbo price under $200. I've used a couple of them on different 6.0's and they are very reliable. Still have both of them on the shelf, good as new. Eventually went larger in both cases, but they get the job done. That VSR next gen 7875 is very nice piece as well(have one on my daily), though about 4x the cost. I once ran a standard cast 7875 vs a gt45 on a 6.0 and only picked up a tenth in the quarter. So if you go 7875, be sure you get the billet next gen unit.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
If you want to keep it that cheap, the gt45 is going to be the winner. You'll hit your 500 rwhp and keep the turbo price under $200. I've used a couple of them on different 6.0's and they are very reliable. Still have both of them on the shelf, good as new. Eventually went larger in both cases, but they get the job done. That VSR next gen 7875 is very nice piece as well(have one on my daily), though about 4x the cost. I once ran a standard cast 7875 vs a gt45 on a 6.0 and only picked up a tenth in the quarter. So if you go 7875, be sure you get the billet next gen unit.
At the same boost level it only picked up a tenth? I'm sure if you started cranking the boost levels up on both the 7875 would show huge gains.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
At the same boost level it only picked up a tenth? I'm sure if you started cranking the boost levels up on both the 7875 would show huge gains.
The exhaust side was smaller on the cast 7875 vs the gt45. I wasn't impressed. It took a couple more pounds of boost just to get that tenth. It felt like it was breathing through a straw. I really expected a bigger difference, but it wasn't there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks for the recommendation. I've heard those new 7875's are good, might have to splurge on one. We'll see if the tracks plan on opening soon. With my luck i'll buy a turbo for the truck and it'll be time to race the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts