Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Peeing In Your Cheerios
8,513 Posts
20 passes on stiff sidewall non w's flipping them every 3 passes.

60s go away after that.

High 9 second cars will get 50 hits.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
25-30 passes on MT and Hoosier radials, i might be able to go more but they are almost bald at that point and i know the sidewalls wear out faster than the tread......3550lb car, the weight has a lot to do with it also

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
It all depends on HP level and burnout style. I have only purchased 28X10.5 tires new once. I usualy try to buy them used from SSO guys. And the used give me the same 60FT times as the new ones I purchased. I talked with Billy Glidden at WFC when he had Bob Glidden there driving the black Stang in SSO. Billy told me he was useing an old set of Kenny Comptons tires off his HS car. And they 50 passes on them and still worked as good as new. Well Bob lost to Dan Millen in the final. Bob had the front wheels off the ground past 300ft mark and had to lift because the car started to the center line.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I run mine between 6-8 passes and swap side to side every 2 passes

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It all depends on HP level and burnout style. I have only purchased 28X10.5 tires new once. I usualy try to buy them used from SSO guys. And the used give me the same 60FT times as the new ones I purchased. I talked with Billy Glidden at WFC when he had Bob Glidden there driving the black Stang in SSO. Billy told me he was useing an old set of Kenny Comptons tires off his HS car. And they 50 passes on them and still worked as good as new. Well Bob lost to Dan Millen in the final. Bob had the front wheels off the ground past 300ft mark and had to lift because the car started to the center line.
Billy is a hell of a racer, but I think sometimes he's fibbin' a little :)

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Billy is a hell of a racer, but I think sometimes he's fibbin' a little :)
Well maybe I dont know. I do know this the first set a purchased came off Keith Szabo's car and he said they had about 25 passes on them. I put them on my car and it gave me the best 60ft time I had at that time. The next set I purchased brand new and my 60FT did not improve.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I ran a 29.5w for years. we would get 18-20 passes and tire would go away after that pretty quick(60ft). Car was 3000 #'s running7.80's we would rotate tires every 5 passes.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
We run 28-11.50 15 Hoosier QTP and get about 120-130 passes before we think about new. All 1/8th mile.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Mine

I get rid of mine when I can see the air in them.

·
T/S 368E
33,623 Posts

~25 pass', rotating every 5 pass'

·
Registered
645 Posts
high horsepower1000+ and heavy cars 3400lbs eat up small tires quick.i got a buddy that runs a 3300lb 69 camaro that makes 1100 on motor + 3 foggers,he gets 8-10 passes on 29.5x10.5s m/t his car is a 4.88 car in the 1/8. i buy them from him and run them for a year or so.my car is a fox body with a 434sbc that runs 5.40's in the 1/8 but my car on weighs 2850. so it depends on the horsepower or torque and weight of the car to me.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,957 Posts
What do you call a "small-tire"? I run Hoosier 29x10's on my car, low 10's @ 3200lbs, usually get 220-240 passes before the cords are showing, 60 ft's never change. Bang them once in awhile going 9.20's on nitrous. Very little burnout, always hook!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
We run 28-11.50 15 Hoosier QTP and get about 120-130 passes before we think about new. All 1/8th mile.
I use 11.5x28 QTPs for DOT races and those things do last forever.

On 10.5x28S ET Drags I see the 60' go away at around 25-30 passes on marginal tracks. On the 'good' tracks I can get 50-60 passes or more.

·
Registered
986 Posts
My 3200lb stock suspension Nova running 28x10.5 M/T stiff sidwall slicks gets about 60-90 passes on them before I replace them. I go through about 3 or 4 sets a season. They always have a ton of rubber left on them just the sidewalls give up. I keep pretty good log book/notes on my car and put a ton of passes on it each year (300+) I can tell you they don't start "working" untill the 6th pass then they are sweet untill about 25 passes from 25 to 40 passes the 60's are slower but still consistent after 40 they get inconsistent on a marginal track but will still work with a good track or in cool conditions after 75 or so its a crap shoot sometimes they hook sometimes they don't. FWIW this is on a 9.60-9.70 car that 60's in the 1.30-1.35 range on good tires.

Craig

·
Registered
955 Posts
weight, hp, tire type/construction and lastly burnout duration which most do too long are the factors that determine how many passes you get out of your slicks.

For my ride and comfort level it's been 75 passes up to this season but I've gone as many as 110 at the end of the season and the 60's are deadly from the 2nd pass to the last pass when I swap them out, typically within thousanths from pass to pass on any given day running 10.5" Hoosier Radial slicks.

I go through 3 sets a season running 250+ passes a season launching wheels up every pass and carrying all 3870 lbs. on the back tires to at least the 60 foot timers!

FYI...no rims screws or tubes!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts