Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford guys, I swapped in a small bellhousing C-4 behind my cleveland with a 157 tooth flywheel but I can't seem to find a starter that works. I have tried one from a 95 Ford Bronco with Auto trans and one from 90 Mustang auto trans but they are both 164 tooth. What late model starter can I get that will work or what old ass 25 lb starter do I need.:confused:

·
Registered
173 Posts
You need a small starter that comes in the Lincoln LSC with the 5.0 engine...I think its
a 97 or 98 ...I know its a late model like that.....but it will do the trick

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I check online the part numbers come up the same for most of the small block stuff. I had this same setup on my Mustang and it worked fine. I didn't think that the mid plates/bellhousing were different for the 157 and 164 flywheel but they are, they position the starter in a different place. So far I have yet to try a manual trans starter but that looks like my next stop or maybe trying a new original starter. When I hit the ignition I get a serious grinding sound like the gears are mismatched.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
The bellhousing locates the starter. IF your bell is for a 164 tooth it will not work. There is not a starter made to fit that combo, 157 tooth wheel and bell for 164.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Actually the small bell Cruise-a-matic was used from 64-69. In 1970 they came out with a new bellhousing. You can get a 164 tooth flywheel with a dipstick in pan or in case. I have used many times and on Clevelands a 157 teeth flywheel, bellhousing and a 1993-1994 Mustang or F-150 starter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies, here is what I have guys;

Case Fill C-4
Small Bellhousing
157 tooth flywheel

My old combo had an C-6 with 164 tooth flywheel, I tried to use that mid plate and the starter wouldn't work so this is what confrims that I have 157 tooth small bellhousing. I think I have a large bellhousing but that would mean buying another SFI Flywheel. I prefer not to pull the tranny if I can find the correct starter.

Smitty

·
Registered
412 Posts
ran into the same problem. ive got an sfi bellhousing on my C4/ 302 ford and the powermaster starter would work. kept hitting the oil pan and wouldnt line up with the bh. was told to get a starter from a 93 cobra. question is my flywheel is 157. I just went to Autozone and got a starter but havent tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The bell housing centers the starter ,the starters will all work, the mustang auto and manual one are the same

Wrong.

They are not the same.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts