Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at buying a set of heads ...ran across these for a decent price just running this through the bullet. can anyone identify these heads? the have a bowtie casting mark but the intake runner design is very similar to a little chief heads.

obviously there not a dart little chief because the bowtie casting in them so i just presume there a gm casting and the closest thing i could find to them is the splayed valve head but the intake configuration is almost identical to a little chief and no where near the splayed design

this is a little chief intake face

and this is the splayed gm head design

the exhaust side is identical to this head

these both have the water jacket port on the intake side and the ones i originally posted doesnt have one at all

what you guys think?

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Not an SB2.2, intake and exhaust runner configuration is all wrong. Appear to be the splayed valve Bowtie casting to me. A lot of these were used on Pro-Stock Truck 358's back in the day of small block Pro-Stock trucks. Maybe it's an older casting of it?

Or it could be an SB2 original casting. I've never personally seen a set of those before.

·
Registered
948 Posts
if it's a good deal get them, they will rock your world! looks like the gm splayed valve heads to me.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i think they are older pro-stock truck heads splayed valve are those the ones for 2500 on racing junk that say little chief? comes with the intake and all... its a very good deal

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea that's them. They don't come with anything other than valves just don't want to get stuck with an oddball head that you can't get parts or rockers for and they were pro-stock truck and I know they threw out several sets before finding the right port design they liked so I don't want some of the runt heads

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
with the epoxy in the heads i would assume they were used but maybe they didn't like the dyno numbers or something, right when i saw the picture i knew it was them i was thinking about buying them and building a motor around them. hell the intake from CFE alone is worth 2500

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea there not bad deal. If I got em I'm gonna hit it with three kits and run some 275 stuff but these heads could be totally wrong for what I want to do it would cost quit a bit to finish it out with a motor like it needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
very true, i was just gonna do a big small block brkt motor. maybe call the guy, but by his info in the post i dont think he will know very much about them....

·
Registered
20,059 Posts
10185040 first design splayed valve also looks like with the 263 intake port.

Rocker stands are still available and the rocker pivot 1.85 and offset depends on what it takes to get around the shit thats in the way

·
Registered
20,059 Posts
exhaust rocker should be straight, intakes will take a left and right offset

·
Registered
20,059 Posts
hmmm i couldnt find any splayed heads with this intake configuration
there are at least 10 dif or more versions depending on who originaly did the motor.

Those heads are late 80's early 90's that are in the pic

·
Registered
20,059 Posts
Here is the same head, refined version...you can see that this is dif than what foltz has today

sorry........... dam thing wont show up

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
From what I understand...

From what I understand to be absolutly true guys, Carl Foltz is the one who originally designed the Little Chief's for P/S Truck, by taking the GM spayed valve head, 040 casting's but more commonly referred to as '517's or '343's, & running with it. That is totally what that looks like to me. Definatly a GM splayed valve head that looks like it's been morfed into a ¼ or ½ Little Chief. Pretty cool actually to see them. Honestly not sure how they'd work. Was basically R & D on the run at that time...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts