Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to know what size of wire I need, as I'm putting the battery in the back of my weekend car. Just little project. I remember when I did it for the drag car I overkilled it by using 1/0 gauge wire.

Plan to go to the welding supply place today.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm one of the guys that does wiring for a living told me it was last time.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Need to know what size of wire I need, as I'm putting the battery in the back of my weekend car. Just little project. I remember when I did it for the drag car I overkilled it by using 1/0 gauge wire.

Should be no different.

·
Registered
334 Posts

1/0 will work great. If you're looking to save a bit of weight, you can check out our "XP" series 1/0 race wire. Significantly lighter/more flexible than a comparable welding cable. Fine strand, easy to bend, etc.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is your new cable similar to the Accel "Lightning" cable? Was looking at some of that yesterday. If so, send me about 15' to test out. :)
Similar. Ours has a extremely high strand count (5250), cca construction with a blend of pure copper. Makes it a great conductor, lighter than conventional thick strand copper, and easy to work with.

I sent you a PM with pricing info.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I'm running 2/0 but the + cable is 24' long; at that length, heavier would be OK. Check the sticky topics in this forum. Definitely 1/0 is not too big for most applications. Negative is about 30" to the frame.

·
Registered
334 Posts

I can get you pricing info on our 1/0 ga XP Flex if you're interested. Quick shipping from Knoxville, TN (1 day).

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Similar. Ours has a extremely high strand count (5250), cca construction with a blend of pure copper. Makes it a great conductor, lighter than conventional thick strand copper, and easy to work with.

What is the weight difference between say 20' of fine strand pure copper welding cable to your copper covered aluminum in the same size and length?

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I just did some rough math on it. I believe its supposed to weigh about 1/2 that of copper stranded wire. So on my car with a full length power and ground cable, there's 40' of cable which should weigh around 23 lbs. When I replace them with XP Flex cable I should lose around 11.5 lbs.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
If you are going with an aluminium wire I would order one size larger, i.e. use 2/0 instead of 1/0. Trying to run high amperage through a fine strand is already hard enough on the wire, adding the resistance of aluminium makes it even harder. Most engineers will tell you that electricty runs on the outside of a wire, which is true in low amperages, but when you start pumping higher amperages into it it goes through the wire.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you are going with an aluminium wire I would order one size larger, i.e. use 2/0 instead of 1/0. Trying to run high amperage through a fine strand is already hard enough on the wire, adding the resistance of aluminium makes it even harder. Most engineers will tell you that electricty runs on the outside of a wire, which is true in low amperages, but when you start pumping higher amperages into it it goes through the wire.
Its no secret that copper is a better conductor than aluminum. However, aluminum is much lighter, so we've created a blend that will provide racers with a much lighter and easier to install cable that will provide excellent cranking performance and no voltage drop on loads well over 100 amps continuous.

Also note our 1/0 ga is physically larger than most available "0 ga" cable out there, including welding cable. I would say 99% of cars will be able to shed noticeable weight with no decrease in performance.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I would have to run two 1/0 wires one to connect the harness to the battery and alternator to the battery no?

So it is alumn strands with copper coating?

Where is the alumn, remark coming from?

Thanks
Dustin

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Its no secret that copper is a better conductor than aluminum. However, aluminum is much lighter, so we've created a blend that will provide racers with a much lighter and easier to install cable that will provide excellent cranking performance and no voltage drop on loads well over 100 amps continuous.

Also note our 1/0 ga is physically larger than most available "0 ga" cable out there, including welding cable. I would say 99% of cars will be able to shed noticeable weight with no decrease in performance.
Aluminium is lighter by I think 60%, and less conductive by 40%, so you need 40% more of it, but still can save the 20% (going by 8 year old memory on the calculations).

I dont know how you managed to use a less conductive material, and managed to get no voltage drop, as solid copper, gold, platinum will all have a voltage drop at over a 100amps, 1/0 at 20 feet.

It may still be acceptable. But I would also suggest running 300amps through a 20 foot piece, for 5 seconds, 300 times, and see how the wire is fairing afterwards.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would have to run two 1/0 wires one to connect the harness to the battery and alternator to the battery no?

So it is alumn strands with copper coating?

Where is the alumn, remark coming from?

Thanks
Dustin
The XP Flex cable is a blend of pure copper and copper coated aluminum strands. 32% of the strands are pure copper.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts