Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’m still very new to the turbo deal, I’m currently piecing together a combo for our door car (was blown alcohol) that weighed in at 2550lbs.

I am wondering if any of you guys have done a similar deal and if you can look thought my set up and see what my limitations will be? I’m expecting the mls head gaskets to be a weak link but what Type of horsepower would you think I could run consistently out of this combo.. any advice would be appreciated

new setup consists of haltech ignition 16x injector on methanol
Dart big m block 9.8 deck
4.000 Callie’s magnum crank
6.385 Oliver max rods
JE pistons upgraded pins 11:1 comp
MLS head gaskets .051
Afr v2 385cnc heads
.770 valve lift
.050 advertised duration
Intake- 268
Ex- 272
Custom firing order 18726543
New Garrett gtx5544r 106mm gen 2
1.40ar rear housing t6

·
Registered
707 Posts
Personally think the turbo is gonna limit you with backpressure. The steel rods are also gonna become an issue in a max effort combo? I would seriously be considering a gt57 series turbo or going to a 118mm precision and a set of aluminum rods.

·
Registered
17,265 Posts
2000-2200 and 18 PSI
spool will be instantaneous and you could use a tractor 🚜 cam.

seriously change the rods , go twins and invest in a cam of known pedigree.
You have checked off most of the boxes for 2500 plus on the hp graph.
Don’t let 2 or 3 handicap your ambitions.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Definitely G57 106mm or PT Gen2 118mm. Ditch the MLS gaskets, oring/receiver groove at a minimum or Top Fuel Hoops for ultimate setup. Clark copper gaskets with either o-ring option, they are the best copper gaskets on the market. The new Big M Pro blocks have some nice standard features like 2.125 cam, .904 lifters, etc. Definitely worth a look. I would look at rocker gear offered for whatever heads you are considering as part of the decision process. DLC coated pins will stop any chance of pin bore galling. I generally do double pin oilers with banana slots to get the most life out of them. You can either pay way more for a second set of injectors plus a Haltech REM module to run the second set or just buy a single set of 850LB Billet Atomizer injectors. I am a dealer for both whenever you get to that part of the build. I also do manifold EFI conversions and Fuel Hoop machining/installation. Hope this helps and good luck with the build.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Are the copper gaskets just more forgiving if something goes south? Or do they just seal better than MLS?

This mill at 2200 hp should live forever i would have thought.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
They are better than say SCE gaskets because they go thru a proprietary heat treat process that leaves them in a dead soft annealed condition. This allows them to form up in the critical areas like the receiver groove much better than other gaskets. In my opinion the SCE gaskets are too hard. The problem I have with MLS gaskets is that they are made of SS which is nearly indestructible but doesn't interlock like a copper setup. Even with a stopper ring in them you are still only sealing with surface pressure. When they leak the damage is almost always very catastrophic to the deck surfaces of the block and head. I'm not saying they are all bad and not every power adder application needs copper gaskets but I have yet to experience any negative issues with copper. Copper can fail but they seem to be much more predictable at where and what power level they will have issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts