Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wearing my WWII helmet
19,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a pretty good deal on a single stack AK. Is it legal to modify the magazine well to accept hi-cap magazines? I'm not even going to consider doing it, if it's a "gray" area. I've googled, but haven't found a black and white answer. I see lots of folks doing it, and youtube vids of how to do it, however...;)

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
Buy the correct rifle. If ya can't afford it, how will ya feed it?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It's perfectly legal federally; just use a magazine baseplate from a double stack mag as a template for the new hole, and you'll have to also cut/file down the magazine stablizer (you'll know what I mean when you see it; it is the fin that sticks out and keeps the mag from wobbling side to side in the well). Also, you'll need to install a feed ramp, which can be done easily with some steel tubing (you cut it to fit between the mag and the chamber, profile it, then drill/tap the trunion and the newly-made ramp and screw it in place).

I can imagine there might be some states where this process might be in a legal gray area, but there isn't a reason why the Feds would care. In fact, installing the feed ramp might even count as another 922(r) compliance part... (I actually doubt that's true).

·
هدية الل
3,376 Posts
Buy a better Ak,or when you go to the range,dont say all aks are inaccurate.Its the cheap POS you bought thats inaccurate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts