Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2017 Mustang GT PP 6 speed that I am going to start playing around with. One of the goals is to turbo it. I want to fabricate my own turbo kit to go around various other mods to the car that I am working on.

I am leaning towards twin turbo mostly because it is easier to rout two 2.5-3.0in downpipes vs a single 3.5-4in pipe.

Here is my theory, flame suite on.

I think most people overly complicate things with crazy individual runner manifolds, separate wastegates, etc.

What I am proposing is to keep it simple and old school.
-700 rwhp
-Top mount
-Simple log or try-y style header
-turbos with internal wastegates
-downpipes going over the very compact log style headers going down to a stock style h-pipe.

I want to use some simple old school turbos like these:

https://www.amazon.com/maXpeedingrods-Universal-V-band-Turbocharger-Racing/dp/B06XY1QQ2F

(I not saying these exact super cheep Chinese turbos, I am just using them for reference for the style of turbo, but I am open to opinions on them)

These use the standard Ford style 5-bolt flange with a built in wastegate flapper.

I don't want all of the bulk of the external wastegates. I am not trying to make 2000hp:) Back in my Ford 2.3 turbo days I made 400 hp to the wheels out of a old school T04E 50 trim and the boost response was fantastic. Two of these on a 5.0 should spool even faster.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I have a feeling two small turbines like that are going to choke your coyote. A couple of eBay GT45's would work pretty good.
I'm definitely no expert but i did learn that wastegate sizing and placement is critical to keep the boost level down.
You should consider investing in a couple of decent wastegates at least....just for safety.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For 700whp, small single will get you there with ease. The last custom kit I did on a s197 first gen coyote made 700whp at 11 psi on a borg S468. Twins is just more weight and clutter for that kind if power level. The Few LPf kits I've seen are compact, light and make good power, but the IC routing is goofy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just copy the on3 kit basically, then regret buying a stick shift yote cuz the trans is a piece of shit
I already have a TR6060 for it.

I didn't want to get into my primary modification for the car quite yet and why I will probably need to make my own turbo kit. I am making the car AWD:cool:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I already have a TR6060 for it.

I didn't want to get into my primary modification for the car quite yet and why I will probably need to make my own turbo kit. I am making the car AWD:cool:

You should make a build thread.. A TT AWD mustang is going to be a sick build..

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
i have done a 355 cu in with twin t3/t4 5 bolt exhaust housing internally gated turbos.
haven't dyno'd it but it is a high 10 @127 street car with 3.0 gears at 3700ish race weight.
it has good boost control , i did do some "porting" of the exhaust housing to help with flow to the gate.

I don't know how much control i would have if it had a better compressor and turbine wheels for making more power. the owner is happy with current performance

mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts