Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Re: The Silicone Thread!!

I've been using GE 100% silicone for the past 6 years and have had pretty good luck with it.

I at first used the clear and then started trying different colors to match the color of the engine I was putting together.

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts

anyone ever tried the valco???? david
Got a tube...good stuff. But after reading thru this thread, it's really piqued my interest in the different silicones. I've always thought the Ultra Copper was the best of ALL worlds-- temperatures, resistances, pliability, etc. No?

·
Registered
10,234 Posts

What's your favorite flavor?

I'd like to find out what an equivalent is to the Permatex Ultra Grey... that's my favorite right now but I'd like to buy it in larger quantities... any other brands to match the quality of that one that can be bought in a caulk tube?
Curious, how do you prep your surfaces where you plan to use Silicone?

·
Registered
347 Posts

I love the Ford black silicone. It comes in a tube for caulking guns and I never have any issues with leaks, hell you need a small pry bar to get an intake off! Great stuff

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts

ULTRA COPPER??????

Also, I see a few listing they've used household silicones from the big box stores. Is the household silicone ok for automotive applications? (people are using it, so I assume so)

·
Registered
10,234 Posts

·
35,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Dang I just stick it right on the oil...........:p

Laquer thinner here too.... sometimes use a scotch brite pad on real smooth parts to give them some sticktion.....

·
Habitual Linestepper
1,457 Posts

I like Wacker T442, its a grey sealer that Ford and International use on the Powerstroke diesels. Itll seal damn near anything , downside is that it will take a BFH to remove whatever you used it on. Comes in tubes for a caulking gun.

·
35,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

I like Wacker T442, its a grey sealer that Ford and International use on the Powerstroke diesels. Itll seal damn near anything , downside is that it will take a BFH to remove whatever you used it on. Comes in tubes for a caulking gun.

Disclaimer :) Sealant like that... don't use it on your lightweight aluminum oil pans.....

·
Registered
10,234 Posts

Dang I just stick it right on the oil...........:p

Laquer thinner here too.... sometimes use a scotch brite pad on real smooth parts to give them some sticktion.....
Yeah scotchbrite or a hand wire brush sometimes to scuff up the surface. i'm tellin ya, wit hjust Ultra Black Permatex, I have to use a 3' crow bar to get my alum. pan off the block, good thing I have a corner to pry from were starter notch ( rigid area) is so not to bend the rail up.

·
35,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Yeah I've inherited a few engines with some very cheaply made aluminum pans with single thickness flanges on them..... pan won't come off without beating the flange back into shape.

·
RED ROCKET
8,624 Posts

I love these bottles both

right stuff grey or black depends on a few things i like the grey when being used under a aluminum manifold just seems to match better if your not painting the block black. Right stuff is the win for waternecks
the only stuff i use.

·
Habitual Linestepper
1,457 Posts

Disclaimer :) Sealant like that... don't use it on your lightweight aluminum oil pans.....
Yep Chris your right, lol shoulda probably mentioned that:) And im stealing the word "Sticktion" btw..

41 - 60 of 265 Posts