Yellow Bullet Forums banner

261 - 280 of 286 Posts

·
35,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
The only thing I s
I quit using the right stuff for that very reason, stock rebuild that's going 100,000++ miles, sure, race shit no... LOL
I use ultra black now, serves me well...
The only thing I see with Ultra Black is that it's not a strong seal. It deteriorates easy..... but, conversely it also comes apart easy and cleans easy. I like use Ultra Grey on everything just because it is a little more durable than the ultra black.... still cleans easy. But I noticed on the China walls that with big vac that it occasionally separates at the surface ... so recently started using Grey Right Stuff just on the china wall. Seems good....

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have best results with Dow Corning 732 ( Black or Clear )
Order the caulking tubes from MSC

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Not sure if its come up, we us Valco aluminum silicone in the caulking tube.
part number 710XX202
3m has a good alum silicone as well. Its impervious to oil, will tolerated and stand up to vac with reasonable sized gaps etc.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I read through this whole thread. I did not get a sense of which/what silicone is most compatible with methanol and/or nitromethane. Mostly concerned with use on the China rails. Valco? Dow? Any feedback?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Not sure if its come up, we us Valco aluminum silicone in the caulking tube.
part number 710XX202
How is it removing the Valco stuff. I have been a right stuff guy but now that i am switching to an aluminum oil pan i am worried about what will happen to the pan if it has to come off, and i want something that will seal it up but not need a quarter stick to remove it.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
How is it removing the Valco stuff. I have been a right stuff guy but now that i am switching to an aluminum oil pan i am worried about what will happen to the pan if it has to come off, and i want something that will seal it up but not need a quarter stick to remove it.
its not bad. its pretty tough, so you may have to use a box knife or something along the edge of the pan/block interface and "encourage" it some, but its not like it destroys anything. Ive used it or something similar for 30 years.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Valco silver here for years. Takes some effort but not like Right Stuff. Never any leaks. It does feel different than most silicones in tubes. Next best is Ultra Gray.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
its not bad. its pretty tough, so you may have to use a box knife or something along the edge of the pan/block interface and "encourage" it some, but its not like it destroys anything. Ive used it or something similar for 30 years.
Valco silver here for years. Takes some effort but not like Right Stuff. Never any leaks. It does feel different than most silicones in tubes. Next best is Ultra Gray.
Cool, I bought a tube last week but figured it would be a good idea to know what i was getting myself into. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
On a china rail, I use a razor knife and break the seal piercing the silicone all the way thru in the middle.
I do the same on the china rail, my valley plate bolt holes are also tapped so that i can put a screw in there and jack the plate up and break the bead, but my steel moroso pan has gotten pretty beat up from breaking the right stuff bead.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
For you guys who buy expensive silicone but don't use it every day or even every week, how do you keep it from solidifying before the next time you need it?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
For you guys who buy expensive silicone but don't use it every day or even every week, how do you keep it from solidifying before the next time you need it?
Ive tried wrapping it in cling rap, sealed containers, fridge.. it all seems to do something.. but ive still lost more than i wanted to over the years.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Build more engines or give it to someone who will finish out a tube. Permatex Super Gray is only $4 a tube at O'Reilllys. Valco does seem to last longer on the shelf after opening it. Jegs has it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Right stuff or ultra in the cheese whiz can lasts a long time. I use a tight rubber or plastic cap on the can nozzle so I can easily remove the small plug that may develop if I don't use it for a couple weeks. I typically don't use the dispensing nozzle because it seems to clog up faster with set sealant. You can blow it out and clean it but time is money.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Build more engines or give it to someone who will finish out a tube. Permatex Super Gray is only $4 a tube at O'Reilllys. Valco does seem to last longer on the shelf after opening it. Jegs has it.
That's the toothpaste tube size. I prefer the caulk tube size because it's easier for me to get a nice even bead with a caulk gun.

Edit: building more engines is a good idea though ?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
For seldom used types, I screw on an uncut dispensing nozzle, and squeeze the tube to fill the nozzle, and put it away. When I get it out I'll find the silicone in the nozzle to be mostly hardened, but the silicone in the end closest to the tube and in the tube itself to be fresh. I pull the hard silicone out of the nozzle and repeat when done.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
A full sized caulk tube of ultra blue runs 50 dollars or so down under.

Ive seen they have half length caulk tubes in the US, havent seen those in my neck of the woods, but would be a better option for those not doing it every day but still get through a reasonable amount of it.

261 - 280 of 286 Posts