Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a Sig 556, semi auto rifle ? Or have any experience with one through a friend ??
I like the fact they take M-16 mags
I love their handguns and I am in the market for a gas piston 223 (AR type rifle). I've been looking at the S&W and the Stag piston rifles. The Ruger piston rifle seems very pricey ...
Thanks for any info or opinions.

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
I have a friend that just bought one, and loves it. He got it and a Sig 522 for about $1600? Package deal buy the 556, get the 522 with. Still pretty pricey, unless you just have to have it. LOL.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ , click on the catalog. Call them, great to deal with.

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
All new SIGs of the last 10 years have had major teething problems. The earliest 556's had a majority of Swiss internals, but assembly issues. The current ones seem to work okay. They are really coming down in price. For a piston gun of an excellent Swiss design, they are a good deal. Especially with the free .22 model rifle thrown in. There are all kinds of accessories available now.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
Had one some time ago... Got it in a trade.. Managed to get my money out of it .. Way too much money, for what you get..
I'll take my Match target Colt, anytime... The guy I sold it to only bought it because of the very nice Oak box, I built for it..

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, guys. SigMan, I guess like new car models, new guns sometimes have 'gremlins' also that need to be weeded out as problems arise.
Gas piston AR's are relatively new also, although the gas piston has been around semi & full autos for a long time. I'm used to pistons (M-1 Garand, M-14) and my experiences with Direct Impingement (although 42 years ago) left me, not only disappointed but also endangered.
Old opinions and experiences are sometimes, very hard to put aside.
Thanks again, all ...

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
Jarhead...the Brits just chose the LMT-308/inpingement rifle over the HK-417/piston. Times have changed, and both systems work. I've had probably most of the rifle systems made over the last 50 years. I'm currently a fan of the modern AR platform[piston and inpingement]. It just works, and you can get ANYTHING for them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sig, I'm sure you know the early history of the M-16, and the controversy. The 'fix' after quite a few guys got killed trying to clear their weapons was going from ball powder to stick powder and then chroming the chambers & bores.
I got there (Vietnam) with an M-14 which was replaced by the M-16. I still found that weapon unreliable during sustained fire, whether full auto or semi auto.
The problem was usually a fouled up chamber, and most problems were feeding as opposed to ejecting. That is the reason the 'forward assist' was added .... Lack of familiarization training as well as the belief that it did not need constant cleaning, I'm sure multiplied the problems. I have a G.I. parts AR-15 with an aftermarket lower and I have experienced the same problems with sustained fire at a range.
I don't want to sound like "Rambo", but I would trust the rifle for the first 50 or so rounds ... but if the SHTF and numerous 'Zombies' were advancing, I would go to my Springfield M1A (M-14) or an AK (which I do not presently own).
Like I said .. I'm old, and past experiences and prejudices are hard to overcome, even though I am sure today's modern AR's are better than the ones I used.
Thanks again for the info !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts