Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leaking shower faucet, both out the spout and in the wall, I havent had time to look at it, been working 12s for 3 weeks, and will be at least the next couple as well

however, the tile around the spout and controls is obviously loose, bulging, so, once I fix the leaks, would it be difficult to pull the tile in the effected area, repair the wall behind it, and retile just that area? I would be ok with a different shade/color, so thats not a worry....the entire shower is tiled, the 3 walls and the ceiling

·
Registered
21,499 Posts
I have a leaking shower faucet, both out the spout and in the wall, I havent had time to look at it, been working 12s for 3 weeks, and will be at least the next couple as well

however, the tile around the spout and controls is obviously loose, bulging, so, once I fix the leaks, would it be difficult to pull the tile in the effected area, repair the wall behind it, and retile just that area? I would be ok with a different shade/color, so thats not a worry....the entire shower is tiled, the 3 walls and the ceiling

Drywall under the tile?

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Yeah it's no big deal just a time consuming PITA than anything, most of the jobs we had I would talk customer into redoing the entire wall just for sake of tricking the eyeballs. Tile for a narrow wall like yours isn't that much, nor is the cement board, thins set/grout...just time consuming start to finish. But when it's done the whole wall will match with the only color difference being where the corners meet, but a person doesn't tend to stare at that as much as the wall you need to repair.

Do yourself a favor and for future ease, providing you don't get water intrusion that is rotting and molding wall studs, make a acess panel on the backside (if possible) any plumbing repairs can be performed from the back- like faucet replacement, without having to gut the wall from the tile side.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
It's definitely time consuming. My wall was leaking from the water hitting it - it was the wall where the soap dish would normally go, not the wall where the faucet/spout were. I have no idea how it was going through the grout because it was in fantastic shape. I discovered it when the tiles became loose and started coming away from the wall. Once I peeled one off, I saw the mold behind it on the wallboard and decided to re-do that wall. It would have been easier if I had demo'd the wall completely down to the studs and started over. However, my tile job was done by the previous homeowner back in the '70's and trying to find matching tile today would have been impossible. Also, the tile went all around the entire bathroom making it mandatory to save all of it because I had no spares. Call me stupid, but I removed all the tile from that wall (most of them were falling off rather easily once I got the first couple off). I then brought them out to my garage and cleaned the adhesive off the back of them with a wire wheel on my grinder. I replaced the section of moldy wall board with cement board, re-glued, and re-grouted. When I was done, you couldn't even tell that I had done it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Pull tile and any Sheetrock or concrete boards and replace faucet with a delta. Then use hardi board under the tile. Then mix a little mortar and install the tile. Grout the next day n ur done.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll ask more as I get into it, like I said, 12 hours 7 days a week is killing me, hopefully I can work on it soon

·
Registered
13,091 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll ask more as I get into it, like I said, 12 hours 7 days a week is killing me, hopefully I can work on it soon
Your working to hard take a hot bath
Really im with ya there's only so much you can do
Take one day to heal:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts