Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
www.PelechBrosRacing.com
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ba ha ha! I had to...

Anyhow... Here's my most cherished fish slaying weapon against the tyranny of Salmonoid aggression...

9-10 wt. Jim Grandt Custom seated with a highly sought after Penn 2.5G Fly Reel... Looking to add to a Penn 4AR reel or a Harris Solitude IV to the aresenal for additonal big fish capacity.

...as all the ladies say, "Now that's a nice rod!"

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Ba ha ha! I had to...

Anyhow... Here's my most cherished fish slaying weapon against the tyranny of Salmonoid aggression...

9-10 wt. Jim Grandt Custom seated with a highly sought after Penn 2.5G Fly Reel... Looking to add to a Penn 4AR reel or a Harris Solitude IV to the aresenal for additonal big fish capacity.

...as all the ladies say, "Now that's a nice rod!"

YEAH YEAH.. NOW THATS FISHING GEAR!!:supz:

·
Administrator
136,777 Posts
Scott's 10 wt 9' X2S9010/4 with an Orvis reel

Temple Fork 8 wt 9' with a Mayfly reel (starter rod and reel)

Going to get a Sage 5 wt 9' rod with reel tomorrow. Like the Orvis reel unless someone has suggestions..

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts

Going to get a Sage 5 wt 9' rod with reel tomorrow. Like the Orvis reel unless someone has suggestions..

Rods and reels for fly fishing are like choosing your woman...
I have cortland, St. Croix, winston, sage, fenwick and a Loomis.
I like Scientific Anglers reels for a more positive click on the drag.
Too each his own..though
Scott, Ovis make fine stuff..Cortland Line and backing is the best there is!!!
Feed it with Cortland #5 Fw Wt, fast taper shooter float line yer in business!! Try and find some one who makes their own leaders and tippits if you can.
These boys here make some of the best you can find...

http://www.gateslodge.com/
Check the pro shop.
I spent many years chasing them brookies & browns on the AuSable!!!
Still have a small cabin on 10 ac up there I havent been to in some time..but its mine!!!

·
Administrator
136,777 Posts
Cool thanks double D... I will never buy another Scott's Rod. When it broke they said it would take 4 weeks at most to fix it. After several phone calls and e-mails they did nothing for 6 months. I went to a place I bought it (Hank's Fly Fishing Shop) and they got it repaired for me.

I will get the line you recommend. As far as the leaders and tippits the guy in Utard said he would set me up. Also with a strike indicator he said work the best. I believe we will be nymphing most the time but he said he would work with my on the dry flies also.

I might head up to the AuSable River next week and wade in some water for a few days.. :p

·
Administrator
136,777 Posts
I go to Hanks each time. They have done very well by me and they will continue to get my business. They are not always the cheapest but they are a local place I would like to help out.. :) No offence to the places you recommend..

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Ovis is in Royal Oak..
There was also a little fly shop down town Royal Oak..I cant remember the name of it.

Plus Geeks..but he is long out of business...

Where is Hanks??

·
Administrator
136,777 Posts
Hanks is a block away from me. They opened a second store here. Their original store is in Canton or somewhere out there.

Orvis is made in Royal Oak? If that is the case I will get another one of their reels.

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Hey thanks man..

Look I understand about the small shops...Thats why I passed a couple on too ya..
Stick with em..they getting hard to find and there is nothing you can pay for avice, experience and personal service that they can only offer!!!;)

·
Administrator
136,777 Posts
You aint kidding... I have been passing by a lot of the bigger name places lately to go to the smaller places.... unless they dont have what I need then I go to the bigger stores... Michigan is hurting and I wanna use my Utah money to help this place out.. Its a small thing but I feel better about doing it...

·
www.PelechBrosRacing.com
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Going to get a Sage 5 wt 9' rod with reel tomorrow. Like the Orvis reel unless someone has suggestions...

Orvis reels are hard to beat! Especially when you compare the price to other reels of the same construction & quality...

·
www.PelechBrosRacing.com
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
http://www.gateslodge.com/
Check the pro shop.
I spent many years chasing them brookies & browns on the AuSable!!!
Still have a small cabin on 10 ac up there I havent been to in some time..but its mine!!!

Rusty Gates is a northern Michigan legend! Read a great article on the guy some time ago in 'Traverse' magazine... He's a little 'different'...

·
I've Got The Cure
2,629 Posts
Rusty Gates is a northern Michigan legend! Read a great article on the guy some time ago in 'Traverse' magazine... He's a little 'different'...
Yes sir, the man knows his shit!!! Thats why I told Monty about his leaders & tippits....My Dad fished with him many of time.
I have also some years ago.
We have had a cabin off of M-72 and Walkley Bridge Rd down from Larry & Joan's store for over 50 years up there.

I am here to tell ya tho..not braggin just wishing he was still with me..
My Grand Pap could fly fish circles around all of us including Gates with his eyes closed!!!
I miss him still...he passed in 1978...:(

·
Administrator
136,777 Posts
I just added a Sage VT2 590-4 5 weight with a Nautilus FW Five titanium reel. They did not have the fly line you recommended so they set me up with some SA XPS line.

·
www.PelechBrosRacing.com
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice! You are heavily armed and prepared for the apocalypse!

·
هدية الل
3,376 Posts
:confused:my fishing rods are old (from my dad and grandpa)thats why they look so bad......ill post pics if you wanna see them

1 - 20 of 28 Posts