Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 457 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Monty :shock:
Do you know what caused that? Mine look very similar, damaged in the same area. I will try to post pic's later. Was that From being to lean or from detination? to much ignition timing? Just want to learn as much as posable to save parts and $. Must say they make me feel better :-D Im not alone. :-D

Mark

·
2,457 Posts
Monty your an amatuer at melting slug's what till I post some I garrantee you will fell much much better after I do, problem is I don't think I have enuff room on the camera card to take pictures of ALL OF THEM this could take a while :smt013

·
Administrator
136,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark Nealen said:
Monty :shock:
Do you know what caused that? Mine look very similar, damaged in the same area. I will try to post pic's later. Was that From being to lean or from detination? to much ignition timing? Just want to learn as much as posable to save parts and $. Must say they make me feel better :-D Im not alone. :-D

Mark
It was due to poor piston design. Removing over 40 grams off the piston was a poor choice. Also the design of these pistons were nowhere near the BME's I had used previous years... I think the material used here was less than perfect for a nitrous application.. I will post another picture of some other pistons. :shock:

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Is that the special "I want to view the top end of my Rods" option? LOL.

Seriously, it looks real thin where I circled it. is it or is that just the angle that the picture was taken?

Bob

·
Administrator
136,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its actually .250" there.. Its the way it broke I guess..

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
thats Crazy, amigo. I hope I dont have any of those "special collections". I tore up enough stuff when I was a kid with the VeeWee's, the stakes are quite a bit higher now. LOL.

Bob

·
Administrator
136,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Use BME pistons.. you will thank yourself for it..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here's what an extra 1lb of fuel psi on the 2nd stage will get you on a stacked set of Big Shot plates.

·
Registered
117 Posts
if ya'll would just follow the manufacturers guidlines for nitrous use, this could all of been avoided LOL!!! hellbent, just wanted to thank you for the nitrous 101 article... that came at a time(3 years or so ago) when i really needed it. it set me going in the right direction... no burnt slugs yet... 'course i'm not hitting it as hard as you guys (400 shot).

·
2,457 Posts
if ya'll would just follow the manufacturers guidlines for nitrous use, this could all of been avoided LOL!!! :smt013
Ya show me where it say's how to tune stacked big shot plate's or how to take 2 second's off your time or run 25+ mph faster, the manufactuer set's very safe and rich guide line's that are good for a increase but not how to WIN races for that you trial and error, show me ONE person in the winner's circle that say's they haven't blow up there crap aleast a dozen time's and I'll show ya a liar :smt014

·
Registered
117 Posts
Zeke1 said:
if ya'll would just follow the manufacturers guidlines for nitrous use, this could all of been avoided LOL!!! :smt013
Ya show me where it say's how to tune stacked big shot plate's or how to take 2 second's off your time or run 25+ mph faster, the manufactuer set's very safe and rich guide line's that are good for a increase but not how to WIN races for that you trial and error, show me ONE person in the winner's circle that say's they haven't blow up there crap aleast a dozen time's and I'll show ya a liar :smt014

did you not think that was a joke... cuz it sure was meant to be one!!! you don't think i know about 2 stacked plates, i also know that nos plate kits are 40% rich from the factory... i was only kidding, i know there is no manufactures guidlines for tuning 2 kits... hell, i've got a pro-race fogger and a big shot plate on mine, so i've been there just haven't hurt anything TOO bad yet, just a couple lifted ring lands.

·
2,457 Posts
Okay guy's I need some help the picture's that are four post back with the ring land's lifted what's your oppinion on the problem I've been told alot of different thing's and need to figure this out real soon or buy stock in a piston company,

it's a small block chev 400 11.5 to 1 nos cross plate 73/82 on one bar and 82/110 on the second the reson for the big split on the second is I have a BTR .250 orifice solinode on that one and was told to run it richer to compensate for it 7lbs fuel press. 38 degrees timing pulling out 13 degrees VP NO2 FUEL I have had trouble with #6 in the past so I took an additional 2 degree's timing out of the four corners and #6 these piston's have 10 passes on them the first pass was very fat so I went up on the second bar to 91/110 and it ran very clean and faster but had aluminum on the plug but didn't melt the plug had to keep going round's so I went back to the 82/110 and took out 5 degree's instead of 2 out of #6 and it ran fine all day that plug looked good everytime I pulled it , NOW what do you guy's think is it too much timing, Too fat, too lean, ring's aren't butting as fare as I can tell .028, oil in the chamber, I'm sure in time I will figure it out but my wallet might not hold out that long so all oppinion's are appreciated

·
Administrator
136,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks too fat to me.. Usually this is caused from a lifted ring land. Then all hell breaks lose.. Im going to guess it probably pinched the ring on the first very rich run... Some oil into the chamber became a lot of oil into the chamber after getting things sorted out. Remember oil in the chamber will cause detonation.. What kind of pistons are those?

·
2,457 Posts
That's what I was thinking (too rich) but the guy at JE (yes Monty there JE's) said that when it's too rich they go black between the first and second ring land I don't have that is that true?, and when I went back to the first jet setting's but took out 3 MORE degree's out of #6 it didn't have anymore aluminum on it that's what make's me think it might be timing or timing and too rich or all three timing, oil, and too rich but can we agree it's definatly NOT too lean atleast I can get that one off my list I hope, what do ya think Monty come on I can take it.....I think :?

·
2,457 Posts
did some more looking see if this help's

#1 good #2 good
#3 pinched top #4 lifted top land
and second ring and pinched second ring
#5 pinched top #6 lifted top land
and second ring and pinched second ring
#7 good #8 pinched top ring

now doe's this mean that the intake is bad because it's all of the middle cylinder's or maybe the 2 degree's that I took out of the corner's is maybe where they all should be

1 - 20 of 457 Posts