Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Should the NSCA ban new style cars from NPS/SM?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
136,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the NSCA ban all new style cars from NPS/SM? I think the new style cars like the Camaro, Firebird and Mustang have a clear cut advantage over the old style cars. Not by aerodynamics but from the unibody construction and the removable crossmember. This allows the %'s of the weight to be adjusted by ballast rather than being stuck with what ya have.. What do you guys/gals think?

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Right on there Monty. Since the S/M guys have been moved "up" the ladder to a pro class with more payouts, they should drop the S/M name from the titles and back to the "Nostalgia" into the class. And that's not even talking about the areo advantage that's there as well.

·
Administrator
136,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it is a wash personally. The old cars are given a weight break and the weight can only be taken out in all the wrong places. Remove 100 #'s out of the rear of the car only to have to put 100#'s back in to get the car down the track.. :roll: Cars that carry 60% on the nose sure in the hell can't compete with one that can get down to 50% on the nose.... 400 CID at 2800#'s is possible for an old style car.. after.. and only after all the weight is taken out.. At that point you have a car that %'s 57-60% on the nose... Now get the car down the track and find yourself going quicker with a 100#'s in the trunk.. Now you are 100# over the minimum... So now you lean on your nitrous tuneup only to break parts.. :roll:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Monty Mikho said:
I think it is a wash personally. The old cars are given a weight break and the weight can only be taken out in all the wrong places. Remove 100 #'s out of the rear of the car only to have to put 100#'s back in to get the car down the track.. :roll: Cars that carry 60% on the nose sure in the hell can't compete with one that can get down to 50% on the nose.... 400 CID at 2800#'s is possible for an old style car.. after.. and only after all the weight is taken out.. At that point you have a car that %'s 57-60% on the nose... Now get the car down the track and find yourself going quicker with a 100#'s in the trunk.. Now you are 100# over the minimum... So now you lean on your nitrous tuneup only to break parts.. :roll:
STOP WHINING!!!

If your car isn't competitive build one that is .

·
Administrator
136,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah.. I wanna build a new car that could only compete in two orginizations and change the combo and car every year to keep up... :roll: I think I should put a turbo on my car and race Outlaw 10.5 :-D

·
First Ten Original Member
1,426 Posts
What the fuck is so "Nostalgic" about a new Camaro/ Mustang?
Nostalgia to me means something at least 25 years old.
Webster says: Nos-tal-gi-a 1. A bittersweat longing for persons, things, or situations of the past. 2. Homesickness.

The class has got an identity crisis. Purpose built cars for a class that is dying a slow death. It would be alot cooler if they would stop the year at 1975 or something like that.

Besides I got an idea, lets kill a class that holds it's own, (read M/S here) brings in new blood every year, is competitive as hell and KILL it to make another class survive. Dumb move..... I'm not claiming to know it all here and I'm sure there are some very good reasons for Tony -Budd to do this business wise, but from the out side looking in " it sure would be alot easier to piss off a couple of low lifes instead of combining PS/PO or TS /PS
First race LA, number of Super Mod racers (1) Roland Lursky, but who's counting.........
Yes I'm still pissed off about this one.....

·
Administrator
136,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Roland Lursky no longer races NPS/SM.. I thought the S/M rules rocked!!! CID to Weight and we had some bad ass cars in the class. To think we got our asses kicked for 4-5 years by Jim Huber and not one of us complained about his combo/weight break. We continued to break parts trying to keep up with the man. Let someone dominate a class in any other class and see the lead trophy come out. But I think we proved that if no one bitches the rules don't change.. <<<<< I like it that way... Probably the most stable class in the NSCA.. Well atleast it was..

My reasons for changing combos... Simple!! I changed my car and combo 3 years in a row to try to stay with the pack. Then BAM!! need to start from ground zero again. So I figure... If I'm gonna change combos I'm gonna do it to fit in more classes than NPS/SM and race local crap as well as the NSCA stuff.

·
First Ten Original Member
1,426 Posts
My comment about Roland was that out of all of the M/S guys he was the only one to show up at LA, He did race L/S but he was the only one....
As the year goes on we'll see how many of the cars that raced M/S show up at any NSCA races. I know of one that will not race at any NSCA events this year! I'm so pissed of about it that I'm not even sure I will spectate.

And as for the car that I had on the table, well I'll just sit it aside for now and start spending more time with the wife. This will be the second time that this has happened to me and I agree with you Monty. It's time to build a light weight plastic car that will fly and race all of the local stuff. At least nothing has changed in those rules for a while.

·
Administrator
136,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Monson.. Give you fellow Ford brother a hug.. He needs one.. LOL Damn I still like the bounce in your avatar.. Makes me almost wanna go out and get a Ford.. or bust some gash.. one of the two... :roll:

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Maybe there is a "bigger picture" reason why they combined classes...... maybe ISCA is in the future? hehe......i cant really comment too much because i dont know the rules of the classes, but i have to agree with Ken on one point....there is nothing nosgalgic about a late model camaro lol.

I dont think any cars should be banned, but if you make another class for them well...your back to square one :-D

·
Administrator
136,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There were two classes at hand here.. One class was bringing in new blood and some of the old blood was moving to Super Street. To name a few (Jim Monson, Jerry Morgano (SP?), Ted Pelech, Anthony DeSoma and others I can't think of right now). The other class was losing old blood to boating, fishing and gardening.. No new blood was coming in that had made a race. So out with the class (in my opinion) that was working and in with the class that was dying... That's when I figured I better jump ship and just do my own thing. If I fit the rules for Super Street great.. If not.. The rules sooner or later will catch up to me. It sucks to spend $10,000 - $40,000 a year only to have a car that needs to be changed again the following season. Super Modified was working and I would have liked to stay with it. But I am not about to spend another $10,000 to compete in a class that may change next year. I feel a little more flexable with the new combo now... The old combo could not compete with the Outlaw 10.5 stuff or even the local stuff for that matter. But the car now can fit in more than just one class...

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I just got schooled by Kenny that the reason nostaliga pro street is called that is because the "nostalgia" part of the name is referring to the rules, not the year of the cars allowed in it. Apparently the rules are based on older pro street rules....so in learning that i have to say any car fitting the rules should be allowed, whether it is a late model or not. :D

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Mike, I agree with you more than you know. Due to the fact that I have a 2 X 3 frame rails I have to but on 100 extra lbs. I been going over the "NEW" rules again, but now I don't see the "UNLIMITED" NOS jet for us motors smaller than 500 inches. I was to be around 2950 with my '67 last fall when me and Johnny Baio were talking about it. That could have really help out a clown like me in this class. But if they do not allow me to be under 3000 lbs. and have unlimited NOS jet in the fogger, I would be pissin' in the wind. Mike was the Torino full framed too? I was thinking it was the way you posted about the BULLSHIT BACKHALVES. NSCA is trying to help these 2 classes as 1, but talks about removing the 7.50 cap and going balls out. Now just how many of the SM guys will still be there for that, I feel NONE. :shock: LIke Monty's said, they'll move to OUTLAW 10.5 or S/S but not stay in the combined NPS/SM class.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts