Yellow Bullet Forums banner

SHOULD NHRA TECH / RULES DEPT ALLOW NITROUS TEAMS TO RUN 959 CI ENGINES FOR PARITY ??

25K views 106 replies 38 participants last post by  seanss454 
#1 ·
The 2018 NHRA Pro Mod season was awesome. Great / competitive racing all year long. Now that we are in the off-season rule discussions are taking place in public & privately.

I don't have the stats but it appears both Blown & Turbo entries have run 5.60's several times in competition. Nitrous Teams have several passes in the 5.72 range with one pass going 5.719 I believe.

ARE Nitrous Teams behind ?? Should there be a rule adjustment based on Data ? This forum appreciates and often asks member ProModVette for statistical Data....if your out there can you please provide data and let us know if data shows Nitrous cars to be at a disadvantage ?

Recently the Top 2 NHRA Nitrous Teams ( Ricky & Baloshi ) announced they were switching to Turbo Power. In Media Interviews Ricky stated the reason for the switch is he felt Nitrous cars could not be competitive and there needed to be a rule adjustment to correct that.

Are Nitrous Cars in fact behind Blown & Turbo Power adders in NHRA Competition ?

If the Data shows Nitrous combo is behind would allowing the larger 959 CI engine package into NHRA help make Nitrous cars more competitive ?

I Love the diversity in NHRA Pro Mod and the series is best when ALL 3 Power adders have chance to Win. With Ricky & Balooshi gone and some saying Bob Rahim also out I hope NHRA looks into this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wonder how much cost is playing a role in the switch also? I know its expensive to run any of these cars but i wonder if its more expensive to run a nitrous car in the class vs turbo or Blower. Nitrous around here has gotten pretty damn expensive.

My thought is strictly on fielding and running the cars, not upfront cost to build one.

#4 ·
Nos car was ahead in points most of the year ........Guessing they spent 60 k to switch to lock up NOW new motors that would suck !!!

#6 ·
Yes. Without something like this there won't be any nitrous cars running nhra promod. I believe most other groups like northeast outlaw promod and others are already allowing the 959 engines.

#9 ·
Whats the difference in power potential between a 903 and a 959? 200 hp?

#11 ·
I do not own a Promod car, or know of anyone that does.

So, from a spectator view, I say allow them. I, as a spectator, like to see the diversity. It's good to see a Nitrous car take out a blower car, and vise versa.

If you don't keep the diversity, it's going to kill the class. jmo

#13 ·
I would hate to see the NOS cars go away or only 2-3 in the class. 1000 cubic inches, unlimited nos sytems, lock up, unlimited forward gears, 2350lbs. Turbo cars are boring, look just like pro stock, blown cars leave em alone, give a weight break for nostalgic body style to 50-75lbs. I know it costs a ton of money to run a pm. 959 would be worth 100th? 200th?

#15 ·
The Class is BEST when ALL 3 power adders have chance to WIN !
Diversity is 1 one the reasons the NHRA Pro Mod class is so successful.

I hope Nitrous cars remain as I love to see TURBO Pro Mods stomped them out...:p:p:smt075:smt075:smt021:smt033:smt033

#16 ·
Agreed.. Id also like to see the procharger combo added. Promod is popular because of the variety. If one combo is dominant eventually the whole class will be the same and it will be no better than prostock. Hell half the field now is running the camaro body because its [supposedly] good for .010 over the other options.

#22 ·

and there was only 2 combo's then and we still loved the class.
Yes 3 combo's is even better, but how often should they make tweaks to one class or another??

#31 ·
So lets see, My memory not being what it used to be, but here goes. Pro stock started out stock body, weight break for small blocks, Jenkins builds vega and wins, I believe. Allowed small blocks, big blocks, monster motors,

Buddy ingersol builds turbo V6 that is allowed to run in IHRA prostock, gets close to winning, then not allowed to run IHRA or NHRA. Next NHRA goes to 500 ci with fixed min weight. Where is prostock now?

Add procharger to the mix, add weight to blower and turbo.

If you went to bigger nitrous motors, which top teams that are running them now would chase NHRA Points

a side note, I count 3 engine builders that have won all of the nhra prostock races since the change to fuel injection, Summit, Elite, Gray, and looks like 1 is going away. So will promod become the proline race series? No I do not hate proline.

#36 ·
Corcon, I agree with this. To up the engines from what they are to 960 ci can be a huge expense.
As you said "Lead is Cheap" and this can be added or removed with very few other modifications and on fairly short notice.
Even changing boost maximums is not an easy task as it affects your tune up in a big way which can mean a lot more testing.
I would also like to see the "Prochargers" permitted into NHRA.
How about letting in the bigger nitrous engine cars in with a lead penalty.
It would take a bit of tweaking with the rules, but would make for an awesome NHRA Pro Mod racing series.
Personally I thought the 2018 NHRA PM series was a very well balanced year with the 3 power adders.
Dave

#43 ·
I say give nitrous cars 959" and 5 forward gears, add in pro charged combos as well. Diversity from a fans stand point breeds excitement. I think that 959" n20 combos being legal would attract more nitrous racers to the nhra races from the other sanctioning bodies in the country. Lets those guys compete more places without having to deal with the different displacement rules. The pro chargers can compete, just a matter of RPM/NHRA working to approve it for the class. Just my .02 from a fans standpoint

#46 ·
Good point.

As a fan, don't slow the cars down. I love seeing 5.60's in good air/tracks. As far as the cost for nitrous cars to switch to 960's? I bet it would've been cheaper for Rickie than switching to turbos. How many nitrous cars are left in the NHRA that we're concerned with the cost? Meanwhile, PDRA has no problem attracting 960ci Pro Nitrous cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.