Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2018 NHRA Pro Mod season was awesome. Great / competitive racing all year long. Now that we are in the off-season rule discussions are taking place in public & privately.

I don't have the stats but it appears both Blown & Turbo entries have run 5.60's several times in competition. Nitrous Teams have several passes in the 5.72 range with one pass going 5.719 I believe.

ARE Nitrous Teams behind ?? Should there be a rule adjustment based on Data ? This forum appreciates and often asks member ProModVette for statistical Data....if your out there can you please provide data and let us know if data shows Nitrous cars to be at a disadvantage ?

Recently the Top 2 NHRA Nitrous Teams ( Ricky & Baloshi ) announced they were switching to Turbo Power. In Media Interviews Ricky stated the reason for the switch is he felt Nitrous cars could not be competitive and there needed to be a rule adjustment to correct that.

Are Nitrous Cars in fact behind Blown & Turbo Power adders in NHRA Competition ?

If the Data shows Nitrous combo is behind would allowing the larger 959 CI engine package into NHRA help make Nitrous cars more competitive ?

I Love the diversity in NHRA Pro Mod and the series is best when ALL 3 Power adders have chance to Win. With Ricky & Balooshi gone and some saying Bob Rahim also out I hope NHRA looks into this.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Wonder how much cost is playing a role in the switch also? I know its expensive to run any of these cars but i wonder if its more expensive to run a nitrous car in the class vs turbo or Blower. Nitrous around here has gotten pretty damn expensive.

My thought is strictly on fielding and running the cars, not upfront cost to build one.

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Nitrous is too expensive to run already. If you truly want parity, the only real solution is to further limit blowers and turbos.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Nos car was ahead in points most of the year ........Guessing they spent 60 k to switch to lock up NOW new motors that would suck !!!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yes. Without something like this there won't be any nitrous cars running nhra promod. I believe most other groups like northeast outlaw promod and others are already allowing the 959 engines.

·
Banned
9,322 Posts
Get rid of the nitrous cars. They are too slow and outdated. Back to 2 power adders will help the class have easier to police parity. I just hope they leave it roots and turbos and not allow anything new in there like prochargers to fuck it all up again.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Whats the difference in power potential between a 903 and a 959? 200 hp?

·
Registered
860 Posts
I do not own a Promod car, or know of anyone that does.

So, from a spectator view, I say allow them. I, as a spectator, like to see the diversity. It's good to see a Nitrous car take out a blower car, and vise versa.

If you don't keep the diversity, it's going to kill the class. jmo

·
Registered
662 Posts
I do not own a Promod car, or know of anyone that does.

So, from a spectator view, I say allow them. I, as a spectator, like to see the diversity. It's good to see a Nitrous car take out a blower car, and vise versa.

If you don't keep the diversity, it's going to kill the class. jmo
QFT!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I would hate to see the NOS cars go away or only 2-3 in the class. 1000 cubic inches, unlimited nos sytems, lock up, unlimited forward gears, 2350lbs. Turbo cars are boring, look just like pro stock, blown cars leave em alone, give a weight break for nostalgic body style to 50-75lbs. I know it costs a ton of money to run a pm. 959 would be worth 100th? 200th?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I would hate to see the NOS cars go away or only 2-3 in the class. 1000 cubic inches, unlimited nos sytems, lock up, unlimited forward gears, 2350lbs. Turbo cars are boring, look just like pro stock, blown cars leave em alone, give a weight break for nostalgic body style to 50-75lbs. I know it costs a ton of money to run a pm. 959 would be worth 100th? 200th?
Turbos are gay and boring lol

·
11,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Class is BEST when ALL 3 power adders have chance to WIN !
Diversity is 1 one the reasons the NHRA Pro Mod class is so successful.

I hope Nitrous cars remain as I love to see TURBO Pro Mods stomped them out...:p:p:smt075:smt075:smt021:smt033:smt033

·
Registered
662 Posts
The Class is BEST when ALL 3 power adders have chance to WIN !
Diversity is 1 one the reasons the NHRA Pro Mod class is so successful.

I hope Nitrous cars remain as I love to see TURBO Pro Mods stomped them out...:p:p:smt075:smt075:smt021:smt033:smt033
Agreed.. Id also like to see the procharger combo added. Promod is popular because of the variety. If one combo is dominant eventually the whole class will be the same and it will be no better than prostock. Hell half the field now is running the camaro body because its [supposedly] good for .010 over the other options.

·
Registered
191 Posts

Giving the older body styles a weight break doesn't work. Most of them are bigger, require more material, etc in turn making it harder to make them light. To make that feasible, minimum weights would almost need to be higher across the board. Which I wouldn't have a problem with. Drag racing would be a little less costly if minimum weights were higher.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Giving the older body styles a weight break doesn't work. Most of them are bigger, require more material, etc in turn making it harder to make them light. To make that feasible, minimum weights would almost need to be higher across the board. Which I wouldn't have a problem with. Drag racing would be a little less costly if minimum weights were higher.

In the 1/4 it makes a difference but not in the 1/8. Usually about a 3-5 mph difference. Your going to end up with a class that looks all the same. Ricky is going with a 67 mustang which is cool. Remember the old days of all the different cars? That was the real era of PM.

Make it stand out, make it exciting, have the fans say wow. The rules will never equal out, its the man with the most zeros in the account. Look Danny Rowe parked his operation.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In the 1/4 it makes a difference but not in the 1/8. Usually about a 3-5 mph difference. Your going to end up with a class that looks all the same. Ricky is going with a 67 mustang which is cool. Remember the old days of all the different cars? That was the real era of PM.

Make it stand out, make it exciting, have the fans say wow. The rules will never equal out, its the man with the most zeros in the account. Look Danny Rowe parked his operation.

I agree with you. I would like to see the older body styles and diversity of days gone by too. I'm just pointing out why it's been gone and hasn't come back. My favorite time to be a Pro Mod fan was 2007-2012 or so. But I never saw it until 2007.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I agree with you. I would like to see the older body styles and diversity of days gone by too. I'm just pointing out why it's been gone and hasn't come back. My favorite time to be a Pro Mod fan was 2007-2012 or so. But I never saw it until 2007.

Same here, I remember as a kid how cool it was I loved it. Then one day at a race we went to met Scotty Cannon I felt like a kid. I asked him what his favorite all time car was without a blip he said my WILLYS.

If you end up with a class that has all slick body's what does it really accomplish? The demise of the class. I do not have that type of con to run nhra but it is a money man's class. I will stick with the local stuff lol.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts