Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title really. Never gave it a second thought in the past, but as my new vac pump jus arrived I decided to hook it up to some wastegates I had here.

3 different kinds, and none of them, on either the top or bottom ports, could hold a steady vac. All slowly went back to atmo (well, not very slowly, from 1bar vac to nothing in a few secs), and on one you could hear it hissing as it went back down.

Surely this is not good for performance? Or is this what they all do?

·
Registered
342 Posts
The top port should not leak.

The bottom port will leak a small amount as the air gets around the valve stem through the valve guide.

The tighter the tolerances, the less the leakage but without some tolerance, the valve would not move.
This is just like a cylinder head.

Wastegates with coated valves can run tighter clearances and still operate smoothly.

·
SB2.2 + pt106
1,928 Posts
I can only speak for my overpriced HKS GT2 wastegates.

They leak, bad stock.

I ended up modifiying mine a bit to get the leaks to be considerably better.

Before I would apply 15# to the bottom and within 2 seconds its back to nothing.
Now it holds 15# for over 10 seconds and after that it is down to about 5# where it stays.
My ams uses SOOOO much less co2 than it used to, and my boost line is a lot smoother.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turbo- How did you help them seal?

Its the top ports leaking I'm most worried about as they are 3 from 3 different places, all new, and all leak.

Tried the vac machine on other stuff and it works on them jus fine, so its deffo the 'gates.

·
SB2.2 + pt106
1,928 Posts
Turbo- How did you help them seal?

Its the top ports leaking I'm most worried about as they are 3 from 3 different places, all new, and all leak.

Tried the vac machine on other stuff and it works on them jus fine, so its deffo the 'gates.
I don't change the wastegates spring tension once they are changed.
So I used super glue to seal up the top of the gate, where all the leaking was coming from.
Most of the leaking on my HKS gates came from the adjuster screw.
I took off the nut and and washer and put glue down on the screw area where the threads go into the top case of the gate. then put the washer down, and more glue, then the nut. And more glue on top of that.

I tried a pipe sealant on the threads, but it never hardens up, so the pressure just blows the sealant out of the threads. The glue hardens up and as i said seals it 10x better than nothing on the threads.

My ams would "chatter" if I ran the controller and the co2 would breed down, so the ams would add more pressure
constantly up and down every second.
With the gate sealed the ams adds co2 like once every 8 seconds. Much better.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
any one know how the JGS Wastegates are leak wise?
The top should hold pressure.
The bottom is subject to extreme heat like all other gates.

Plus no Diaphragm on the 40R, 50, 50R and 60 mm W/G's. Tested with over 100 psi. American Made!

·
Keepn my pimp hand strong
6,768 Posts

The bottom port will leak a small amount as the air gets around the valve stem through the valve guide.

The tighter the tolerances, the less the leakage but without some tolerance, the valve would not move.

Wastegates with coated valves can run tighter clearances and still operate smoothly.
Often wondered about this "tighter clearances " on the valves how do you go about doing this?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I took a mine apart and put some of the little metal valve stem seals inside mine and they hold tight & work great. It really is just a valve guide that the stem runs in. Heat may get'em after a while & then they'll need changed out but its no biggie and they're cheep.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Bought a eBay turbosmart. Leaks thru the valve guide and leaks thru the top port. Should I send it back? Never had this prob w turbonetics wastegates.
Gave the eBay wg a chance n look at me now.😒

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Bought a eBay turbosmart. Leaks thru the valve guide and leaks thru the top port. Should I send it back? Never had this prob w turbonetics wastegates.
Gave the eBay wg a chance n look at me now.😒

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

Bought a hyper vband 45mm turbosmart wastegate off eBay. With pre installed 14psi spring. I tested w compressor air, gage and regulator. It cracks open around 10psi and its leaking from valve guide and top port. The more pressure I apply the more excessive the leaks become and audible. Gate is new out of the box. Never been installed. Any advice?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Bought a hyper vband 45mm turbosmart wastegate off eBay. With pre installed 14psi spring. I tested w compressor air, gage and regulator. It cracks open around 10psi and its leaking from valve guide and top port. The more pressure I apply the more excessive the leaks become and audible. Gate is new out of the box. Never been installed. Any advice?
Send it back. Its probably a counterfeit

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Thanks for the response.
Can I fix it? Its gonna b a hassle to send it back I emailed the seller.
The box and the wg itself looks authentic. Everything looks right. Except when I went to test it. Its howling from top port. Has 2 lower ports and 2 top ports.
Got one of each blocked off.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts